Windows 10: Desktop appears and then is gone

Discus and support Desktop appears and then is gone in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have a problem with my laptop. Suddenly my desktop won't appear. When I sign on it shows up and then another screen takes it's place. On the left... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by JLastar, Sep 15, 2018.

1. JLastar Win User

Desktop appears and then is gone

I have a problem with my laptop. Suddenly my desktop won't appear. When I sign on it shows up and then another screen takes it's place. On the left there are a few icons for pinned tiles, all apps, then farther down is change account settings, pictures, settings, and power. The Windows key doesn't work and when I have an open window it won't minimize. It seems that this window appeared in front of my desktop and I can't get rid of it.

Any help would be appreciated.

:)

JLastar, Sep 15, 2018

2. Why did the startup window get cleared?

I didn't missed any step, the list was gone and gone , even after using lot of programs the programs were not listed in that list.

smartali89, Sep 15, 2018
  3. Windows 10 - Icons appear on Desktop but not Desktop Folder

Hello Daniel,

Thank you for posting your concern here in Microsoft Community and welcome to the Windows 10 Family.

From the description of the issue, I understand that desktop icon shortcuts does not appear in the Desktop folder in Windows 10.

Before proceeding, please check if the same issue occur when logged in through a different user account.

Ref:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/getstarted-set-up-accounts

This issue may happen due to system file corruption. I suggest you to run System file checker. System File checker (SFC) scan is done to check if there are any corrupted system files that could be causing this issue. Kindly follow
    the below given steps:

• Press Windows key + X, select
      Command prompt (Admin) to bring up elevated Command prompt.

• In Command prompt type
      sfc/scannow
      and press enter.
    • Restart the computer.
    If no corrupted system files were found in the previous state, then I suggest you to try the following steps:

• Open command prompt by pressing Windows key + X and selecting “Command prompt admin”.

• In command prompt, type the following commands and press Enter after each command:

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

• Close the command prompt and restart the PC and check if it works.

Hope the above information was helpful. if you need further information, feel free to write to us and we would be happy to help you.

Thank you

Sayan_Ghosh, Sep 15, 2018
  4. Namslas90 Win User

HELP! My Laptop has gone into SLOW MOTION!

Should be able to get a "step-by-step here;

Support | Dell Deutschland

Namslas90, Sep 15, 2018
Thema:

1. Desktop appears and then is gone - Similar Threads - Desktop appears gone

2. Desktop items gone

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop items gone: Hello this weird issue got me stuck thinking if there is a specific setting I've never heared about:My grandmother's Win10 desktop is completely gone. There is no background and not a single item visible. None of the desktop settings lead to any changes. It just stays...
  3. Desktop items gone

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop items gone: Hello this weird issue got me stuck thinking if there is a specific setting I've never heared about:My grandmother's Win10 desktop is completely gone. There is no background and not a single item visible. None of the desktop settings lead to any changes. It just stays...
  4. Desktop not appearing

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop not appearing: Whenever I power on my pc, after signing in the desktop shows for about 5 seconds then turns entirely to black and I cannot click on anything and the taskbar disappears unless I press the Windows key. I used to use wallpaper engine but have since removed all of the files and...
  5. desktop appearance

desktop appearance: How do I disable gridlines on my screen? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-appearance/5d1f1fd9-07b8-43d3-83b4-6f9e8ed54075
  6. Desktop files are gone

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Desktop files are gone: Ok, so I really need help with this one, massively. My computer updated to the newer version of Windows 10 without me asking. I noticed all my folders were gone from the desktop. I managed to find them in my desktop folder, which had my old desktop items but not my new ones,...
  7. My desktop is gone.

My desktop is gone.: I cannot get my desktop to pull up on my computer. I can change my password, but I have a like new desk top, not my files. System mechanic is running a defrag right now, so I know my programs are there., Please help....
  8. Desktop icons gone only tiles appear

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Desktop icons gone only tiles appear: For the last couple of weeks my computer starts with the tiles only and I no longer have my program icons on desktop. When I shutdown computer and turn on again the next day, the desktop icons flash and instantly disappear and go to tiles. Is there any way to fix this or...
  9. Desktop is gone

Desktop is gone: I am highly upset after just updating windows 10. My desktop is completely gone and I am unable to minimize anything I open to work on later. I am at the point of wanting to break my computer. I am so frustrated being a college student is not easy when I cannot do these...
  10. Desktop file 'gone'

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop file 'gone': After the latest updates (2 days ago) I got the message that backing up & synchronizing in Edge is no longer possible because the map Desktop cannot be traced, and would I be so kind to "Search or Stop synchronizing." A Search only results in "Desktop - This map is empty"....