Windows 10: Desktop appears from different signed-in account

Discus and support Desktop appears from different signed-in account in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I noticed after a Windows 10 repair install that the desktop that appears isn't the desktop from the user account with which I'm signed in. In fact,... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by gogreen, Jul 9, 2016.

1. gogreen Win User

Desktop appears from different signed-in account

I noticed after a Windows 10 repair install that the desktop that appears isn't the desktop from the user account with which I'm signed in. In fact, that user account is no longer listed in user accounts, but its files still appear in C:\[my computer name]\Users. How do I get the correct desktop to appear?

:)

gogreen, Jul 9, 2016
  2. GaryCG Win User

Can't turn on location services

I don't believe that answered the question. The problem is with enabling location services, not Cortana. I upgraded a laptop and desktop from Win 7 in the same day and they act differently. While the location service is operational on the desktop, I've tried
    for hours to turn it on for the laptop to no avail. Because of this, I get no weather on the calendar on the laptop, but it works fine on the desktop although every setting I can find between the 2 PC's appear to be identical. Is there a FixIt available for
    this yet?

A possibly related problem is that the desktop calendar notifications work fine, but will not function at all on the laptop although, again, every setting I can find between the two appear to be identical.

I am signed into a local account on both PCs. Would signing into the Microsoft account on both sync up the settings?

GaryCG, Jul 9, 2016
  3. davej1983 Win User
    Bypass sign in screen - Surface 3, Windows 10

I would like to bypass the log in screen that appears after the lock screen when I wake up my surface.

Steps I've taken:

- Switched to a local account with no password set

- used netplwiz and unchecked "Users must enter a name and password to use this computer"

- Made sure that "Don't require a password" is selected on the power options/system settings

When I start the surface from power off, it loads directly to the desktop. However if it is from sleep or when the screen times out (if those are different) the lock screen appears, then after that a sign in screen appears where I have to tap "Sign in" to
    get to my desktop. I would like to bypass that second screen so after the lock screen it goes straight to my desktop.

davej1983, Jul 9, 2016
Thema:

Desktop appears from different signed-in account

1. Desktop appears from different signed-in account - Similar Threads - Desktop appears different

2. You Can't sign in with this account. Try a different account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    You Can't sign in with this account. Try a different account: So I haven't had a problem singing into my PC at all. It's been working great for the last few years. Open it up today and it tells me "You can't sign in with this account. try a different account"I haven't made any changes to my account. It's a past work email account as the...
  3. You Can't sign in with this account. Try a different account

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    You Can't sign in with this account. Try a different account: So I haven't had a problem singing into my PC at all. It's been working great for the last few years. Open it up today and it tells me "You can't sign in with this account. try a different account"I haven't made any changes to my account. It's a past work email account as the...
  4. Desktop not appearing after signing in

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Desktop not appearing after signing in: Title. Basically I start up my laptop, sign in, but nothing shows up. I see the curser, and I can open the start menu, but besides that it’s just a blank screen. Hp elite-book 840 G5 if that’s any help. submitted by /u/Bren_co [link] [comments]...
  5. Sign in from different computer

Sign in from different computer: Not sure if allowed. If this post needs clarification I will add edits. So I have a new laptop that I spilled some hot liquid on and now it won't turn on (didn't use rice, no hairdryer, definitely removed power and didn't do anything else to it. Have tech coming tomorrow to...
  6. Account Not Appearing at Sign In

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Account Not Appearing at Sign In: I have an M365 account that is no longer appearing as a user that is able to login. This has happened after the October 2020 Feature Update - 2OH2. I can see the profile under Users, but don't see it as a sign-in option. Do I have to add the account again and will that mess...
  7. "You can't sign in with this account. Try a difference account."

"You can't sign in with this account. Try a difference account.": typo in title, it says "You can't sign in with this account. Try a different account." My computer was unplugged for a month or so, and now when I try to sign in with my pin, this is the error I get. I don't have another account. This is the only account on the computer....
  8. Desktop icons are appearing on different computers.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop icons are appearing on different computers.: So I have 2 computers with the same account connected. This is only a problem that came up recently. If I add something to my desktop on my pc the icon for it appears on my laptop. Does anyone know how to fix this?...
  9. Cannot Sign In With A Different Account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot Sign In With A Different Account: I have two Microsoft accounts. I switched Windows over to my new account. But the Xbox App is still on the old account. I cannot change accounts on the Xbox app. I press sign out, then I click sign in but it immediately logs me back into the old account. My store account is...
  10. Moving desktop from different user account

in Windows 10 Support
    Moving desktop from different user account: I have 2 user accounts with the DESKTOP folder listed. Either one opens the desktop files and sub-folders. I'd like to move the default location of DESKTOP from one user account to another without creating any redundancies, deletions or problems. Can this be done? *Cool*Cool...