Windows 10: Desktop Background Keeps Reverting to Factory Custom Screen

Discus and support Desktop Background Keeps Reverting to Factory Custom Screen in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have an ASUS ProArt Studiobook 16 that I keep trying to change the background of. I want to make it use a slideshow effect to save the OLED screen,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Nicholas Lattig, May 31, 2023.

1. Desktop Background Keeps Reverting to Factory Custom Screen

I have an ASUS ProArt Studiobook 16 that I keep trying to change the background of. I want to make it use a slideshow effect to save the OLED screen, but no matter what background I set it to, the computer will revert back to the factory installed custom theme with the picture. I tried deleting the theme, changing the picture with Windows default themes, and trying to find the default file so I could delete it from the computer, but nothing is working. Has someone else encountered this problem?

:)

Nicholas Lattig, May 31, 2023

2. Windows 11: Desktop background keeps resetting from slideshow to a picture.

Hi Nicole,

Here are the steps I took per your suggestion.

1. Make Sure the Theme Isn't Changing Your Wallpaper
      • I created a custom Theme with Background set to Slideshow and Lock Screen to Spotlight.
      • Locked screen and logged back in all good.
      • Rebooted and both reset to Picture.
      • I reset back to Slideshow and Spotlight accordingly.
    2. Turn Off Slideshow in Personalization Settings
      • I set Background to a color and Lock Screen to Picture
      • Restarted system.
      • Settings remained.
      • Reset Background to Slideshow and Screen to Spotlight.
      • Restarted system.
      • Settings remained for the moment.
      • Restarted one more time and Background reverted to Picture & Screen remained at Spotlight.
      • Reset Background to Slideshow.
      • Restarted again.
      • Settings remained for the moment.
      • Restarted again just to validate and settings remained for the moment.
    3. Disable Windows Sync Settings
      • I cannot do this since the factory reset, my account cannot use my Microsoft account only the local. As such, Settings > Accounts > Windows backup > the option to Remember Preferences is grayed out; only available if using Microsoft account.
    4. Use a Local Account
      • I can only use Local Account
    5. Lock the Background Settings
      • This is not an option as, I’m the only user and with Home edition I don’t have Group Policy option.
    Status: While running through steps 3-6 my Background reverted to Picture on its own, without me locking screen or restarting system. Mystery remains as to what’s causing this change on its own. I think Microsoft needs to get involved to evaluate this bug. I know I’m not the only one reporting this issue as I have found several articles over the past couple of years on this topic and don’t know why MSFT hasn’t gotten involved yet.

JohnO_02895, May 31, 2023
  3. Misiowiec Win User
    Lost desktop background

I did a Search & Distroy spyware scan the other day, and one of the suggested "fixes" said something about removing Active Desktop. Like the muppet I am I clicked yes and am now without a desktop background picture.

Does anyone have an idea how to reverse this? If I try to select a picture it's simply not added as a background.

Misiowiec, May 31, 2023
  4. Desktop Background Keeps Reverting to Factory Custom Screen

Slideshow as desktop background.

Hi Marilyn,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to try the steps below and check if it helps.

• Press Windows Logo Key + I. Then click on Personalization.
    • Click on Background to change it.
    For reference:

Change desktop background and colors - Microsoft Support

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Kalpana Shankarappa, May 31, 2023
Thema:

Desktop Background Keeps Reverting to Factory Custom Screen

1. Desktop Background Keeps Reverting to Factory Custom Screen - Similar Threads - Desktop Background Keeps

2. Desktop Background Keeps Reverting to Factory Custom Screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop Background Keeps Reverting to Factory Custom Screen: I have an ASUS ProArt Studiobook 16 that I keep trying to change the background of. I want to make it use a slideshow effect to save the OLED screen, but no matter what background I set it to, the computer will revert back to the factory installed custom theme with the...
  3. Windows 11 Desktop background keeps reverting when I change it

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Desktop background keeps reverting when I change it: Desktop background keeps reverting to a specific picture every time I change itI have an original Windows 11 installation on a brand new asus laptop. The desktop background came preconfigured to a picture. I want to change it from that picture to a solid black color.I...
  4. Windows 11 Desktop background keeps reverting when I change it

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Desktop background keeps reverting when I change it: Desktop background keeps reverting to a specific picture every time I change itI have an original Windows 11 installation on a brand new asus laptop. The desktop background came preconfigured to a picture. I want to change it from that picture to a solid black color.I...
  5. How to keep Custom DeskTop WallPaper as Login Screen Background ? without involving Admin...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to keep Custom DeskTop WallPaper as Login Screen Background ? without involving Admin...: Is it possible to maintain custom WallPaper before Keyboard pressed?As-Is Custom WallPaper disappears after Keyboard Pressed.Result is lost Text Message , after accidental press of Keyboard, which can only reappear on Restart of Computer.How to have WallPaper as background...
  6. How to keep Custom DeskTop WallPaper as Login Screen Background ? without involving Admin...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to keep Custom DeskTop WallPaper as Login Screen Background ? without involving Admin...: Is it possible to maintain custom WallPaper before Keyboard pressed?As-Is Custom WallPaper disappears after Keyboard Pressed.Result is lost Text Message , after accidental press of Keyboard, which can only reappear on Restart of Computer.How to have WallPaper as background...
  7. How to keep Custom DeskTop WallPaper as Login Screen Background ? without involving Admin...

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. Background keep revert back to black

Background keep revert back to black: Hi, I have a brand new XPS15 9500 and since i had it, it keeps having issue with windows explorer: - Explorer crashes often - Often run CPU up to 30% - Revert background settings back to black and change screen sharing settings. Anyone knows how to fix these issues?...
  9. Lockscreen and Background keep Reverting Back

Lockscreen and Background keep Reverting Back: I've tried to set my lock and background screen to my own photo and it only stays that way for a day, then changes to a random one chosen by windows. I've made sure that I selected the 'picture' option in the personalization settings and not "slideshow". But no matter what...
  10. Screen reverting to desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    Screen reverting to desktop: I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 last week. Since then I am facing two problems. . 1. When I am searching for a file in My documents , Downloads etc the screen reverts to Desktop forcing me to start every thing afresh. 2. When I am typing a mail or preparing a...