Windows 10: Desktop Background Selections Help

Discus and support Desktop Background Selections Help in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I got to playing with Personalizing the Desktop Background (came with the OEM light blue with some wispy clouds) and just picking on each of the four... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Wiley Coyote, Apr 6, 2017.

1. Desktop Background Selections Help

I got to playing with Personalizing the Desktop Background (came with the OEM light blue with some wispy clouds) and just picking on each of the four alternate selections offered, I've lost the original picture. No longer five options, now just the four that were shown as alternatives. How can I find and get back to that original background picture? When "someone" comes in here to see this, she's going to be on my case. A good chance I'll never hear the end of it. Help.

:)

Wiley Coyote, Apr 6, 2017

2. Selecting Desktop Background

Yes, this works. Thanks!

You can point-and-click your way to a solution too, but Win 10 hides this for no good reason that I can see.

From right-click -> Personalize, set Background to Picture, then under "Choose your picture", Browse. This pops up the usual file browsing dialog, but you have to know where Windows stores its Theme images, and it's non-trivial and essentially hidden by
    Msft's choice of what you see in the Explorer navigation pane.

You need to start from your home folder (C:\Users\me, say, which isn't pinned by default in the navigation pane and can require starting at C:... Sheesh), then navigate into the AppData folder, which is a system folder and hidden by default -- you may need
    to flick the "hide system folders" switch in Explorer somewhere. Themes are stored in the folder:

C:\Users\me\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Themes

and in each theme folder is a DesktopBackground folder, e.g.:

C:\Users\me\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Themes\matrix\DesktopBackground

That's where the individual jpg images are stored. Select the one you want and presto. You might want to pin the folder path to your Explorer navigation pane for next time...

I know there's a general move in OS design towards "users don't need to worry about the details of files, folders etc. -- everything's done for you through apps" -- except that it's not, and the file/folder paradigm is still the way people think -- not only
    because it's what we're used to but also because it's simple, powerful and intuitive.

Rob Baxter, Apr 6, 2017
  3. LizBiss Win User
    Selecting Desktop Background

I wanted to select certain slides from a theme. Your answer did exactly what I wanted. THANKS!!!

LizBiss, Apr 6, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Desktop Background Selections Help

Hello Clayton,

If it helps, the default background images included with Windows are located in the folders in the C:\Windows\Web folder.

Brink, Apr 6, 2017
  5. AH HA! You've saved me. I appreciate the help on such a trivial thing. Thank you.

Wiley Coyote, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Desktop Background Selections Help

1. Desktop Background Selections Help - Similar Threads - Desktop Background Selections

2. Selecting "slideshow" for desktop background ignores subfolders

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Selecting "slideshow" for desktop background ignores subfolders: Selecting a "slideshow" option for desktop background only reads images from the current folder but ignores all subfolders. Any way to fix this? I've found 2 weird workarounds, but no actual solutions so far. submitted by /u/Shajirr [link] [comments]...
  3. Selecting a desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Selecting a desktop: Iam looking for a window 11 desktop that doesn't require a lot of memory to do work at home. Haven't brought one in about15 years had a hp. Looking for hp or dell like other people at a decent price....
  4. Selecting a desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Selecting a desktop: Iam looking for a window 11 desktop that doesn't require a lot of memory to do work at home. Haven't brought one in about15 years had a hp. Looking for hp or dell like other people at a decent price....
  5. HELP! Explorer runs in the background but no explorer on the desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HELP! Explorer runs in the background but no explorer on the desktop: I checked task manager to see if explorer is running. i restarted it a couple times still no diffrence. before the new update on windows 11 everything worked fine build 675...
  6. HELP! Explorer runs in the background but no explorer on the desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    HELP! Explorer runs in the background but no explorer on the desktop: I checked task manager to see if explorer is running. i restarted it a couple times still no diffrence. before the new update on windows 11 everything worked fine build 675...
  7. Multiple monitor desktop background help.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Multiple monitor desktop background help.: Hi, I was hoping somebody knows how to set this up. I have two curved monitors on my desk. And then I have another monitor and a sketch tablet on another desk facing a different direction, they are all hooked up to the same machine. So 4 displays total. The two curved...
  8. Background selection

in Windows 10 Customization
    Background selection: Neither the picture or color I select for Background is working. My desktop will flash the picture as I move from 1 icon to the next on the task bar. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/background-selection/7ffd7843-0eb0-4999-bac2-023e9f409475
  9. Desktop Background Slideshow pictures selected by tag or label.

Desktop Background Slideshow pictures selected by tag or label.: I have pictures in a folder where they exist in more than one format and aspect ratio. Is there a way to choose a folder "Vacation 2018" and have the slideshow change my desktop background using only 1920x1080? Or by tag? Or by multiple tags? I have a tag for my family...
  10. Select theme pictures-Desktop Background

Select theme pictures-Desktop Background: I can't find the lower panel in the Personalization view. The one where I can select or deselect pictures in a saved theme. I see it on my work desktop running Pro but not on a Home machine. Please don't tell me that's the reason, Home vs Pro? For something simple like...