Windows 10: Desktop blinks a few minutes after startup, then printer disappears

Discus and support Desktop blinks a few minutes after startup, then printer disappears in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I installed Windows 10 version 1903 on 9/13/2019. Since then, I have experienced the following behavior. Within five or so minutes of system startup,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by perkinw, Sep 26, 2019.

1. perkinw Win User

Desktop blinks a few minutes after startup, then printer disappears

I installed Windows 10 version 1903 on 9/13/2019. Since then, I have experienced the following behavior. Within five or so minutes of system startup, the screen goes black for a couple of seconds, then the desktop reappears. This always happens twice in a row, a few seconds apart. Never more than twice, and never less. I thought nothing of it until today.

I have an Epson USB printer which I used today for the first time since 9/13/2019. Normally, the printer icon shows in the notification area, regardless of whether the printer is on or off. But today, I noticed that the icon was missing from the notification area. After restarting the PC, the icon reappeared, and I was able to make a print. But then the screen blinked, and after the desktop reappeared, the printer icon had disappeared!

If I go to Printers & Scanners and try to access the printer properties, I get this error:

Desktop blinks a few minutes after startup, then printer disappears [​IMG]

But even worse, if I try to access Device Manager, I get a similar error:

Desktop blinks a few minutes after startup, then printer disappears [​IMG]

I tried disabling Malwarebytes and restarting (as suggested in a post somewhere), but it had no effect.

:)

perkinw, Sep 26, 2019
  2. Anne Ros Win User

Printer icon disappeared from desktop

Hi Helen,

This might be caused by the recent changes made on your device. Can you still see if from the Start Menu or Control Panel? If yes, then we suggest that you just create a new shortcut of your printer for an easy access of printing files. Follow the steps
    below:

• Go to Control Panel.
    • Select Hardware and Sounds then click Devices and Printers.
    • Choose your printer's name, right-click on it then select Create shortcut.

Get back to us with the outcome so we can help you out further.

Anne Ros, Sep 26, 2019
  3. Avedis53 Win User
    Can't get GPU-Z to start with Windows 8.1 startup

I'm not sure how to do that. Could you list the steps for a noob?

Avedis53, Sep 26, 2019
  4. Desktop blinks a few minutes after startup, then printer disappears

Setting Default Printer via Startup Script

This looks like a good solution, and similar to some of the VB scripts I tried.. but it is a logon script. I would need something that works as a startup script. We are not mapping printers to users as they move around too much, but rather mapping to each computer.

The Link that W1ZZARD posted is good information. Sadly however, I have tried utilizing most of the commands that are available. The /c command is indeed interesting, but we are trying to map them when a computer starts up (prior to logon screen) versus just mapping them remotely. The purpose would be if we had a lab that needed the default printer changed, sure we could just send the remote command to each machine, or even remote into them ourselves and manually do it, but I was looking for a smoother alternative.

It seems like its just something that will have to be done manually and with user education.

Thanks for all the suggestions though.

Wastedslayer, Sep 26, 2019
Thema:

Desktop blinks a few minutes after startup, then printer disappears

1. Desktop blinks a few minutes after startup, then printer disappears - Similar Threads - Desktop blinks few

2. Computer Crashing a few minutes after startup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer Crashing a few minutes after startup: Hey guys,Yesterday I began having a problem with my computer, a Dell Precision T7500 N-Series Tower Workstation from 2012 running windows 10. It currently crashes a few maybe 2 or 3 minutes after startup, but curiously only after signing in or running an onboard diagnostic...
  3. Computer Crashing a few minutes after startup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer Crashing a few minutes after startup: Hey guys,Yesterday I began having a problem with my computer, a Dell Precision T7500 N-Series Tower Workstation from 2012 running windows 10. It currently crashes a few maybe 2 or 3 minutes after startup, but curiously only after signing in or running an onboard diagnostic...
  4. Computer Crashing a few minutes after startup

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
  5. Bluescreen after a few minutes of first startup of the day

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Bluescreen after a few minutes of first startup of the day: Help please, evertime i open my pc for the first time each day it always crash after a few minutes after booting up... Here is the minidump files: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsoaxkmekTUpgQwq0u-It52KjmAH?e=jjLkKg...
  6. Bluetooth keeps disappearing after a few minutes of use

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Bluetooth keeps disappearing after a few minutes of use: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/keimarr [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/gho8n0/bluetooth_keeps_disappearing_after_a_few_minutes/
  7. Startup Programs Disappearing after a few reboots

in Windows 10 Customization
    Startup Programs Disappearing after a few reboots: Hi, I'm using Windows 10 Pro 1909, and I've got this problem for a long time now. There's a few programs (like OneDrive) that somehow gets removed from the startup list. I have to go to the settings of the program and check start with windows, but after a few restarts it...
  8. Desktop blinks a few minutes after startup, then printer disappears

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop blinks a few minutes after startup, then printer disappears: I installed Windows 10 version 1903 on 9/13/2019. Since then, I have experienced the following behavior. Within five or so minutes of system startup, the screen goes black for a couple of seconds, then the desktop reappears. This always happens twice in a row, a few seconds...
  9. Remote desktop disconnects after few minutes & will not reconnect

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Remote desktop disconnects after few minutes & will not reconnect: I have been using remote desktop for years without any issues. Several weeks ago after a windows update I cannot use my remote desktop outside my internal network. It works fine in the home & I connect with my ipad using mobile remote desktop. but when Im at work I can...
  10. External HDD disappears after a few minutes

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External HDD disappears after a few minutes: Good afternoon all, One of my external HDD's disappears after a few minutes; this only started happening since I upgraded to Windows 10. It will show up again after unplugging and plugging it in again, but again only for a few minutes. Here is what I have done so...