Windows 10: Desktop cannot access shared folders on new laptop over wi-fi

Discus and support Desktop cannot access shared folders on new laptop over wi-fi in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I just bought a new laptop and I have Network Discovery, File Sharing turned ON. I have Password protected sharing turned OFF. Laptop is connected to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by BrucePyle, Dec 12, 2019.

1. BrucePyle Win User

Desktop cannot access shared folders on new laptop over wi-fi

I just bought a new laptop and I have Network Discovery, File Sharing turned ON. I have Password protected sharing turned OFF. Laptop is connected to home Wi-fi as a Private network. Latest update to Windows 10 build 17763.914.

Via File Explorer:

• The laptop has no problem accessing shared folders on my office desktop.
    • On my desktop (build 18362.535), the laptop name is visible in the Network section, but I receive an error message when I select the laptop:

Windows cannot access \\LAPTOPNAME

Error code: 0x80070035

The network path was not found.

I have already set the Function Discovery Provider Host, Function Discovery Resource Publication, SSDP Discovery, UPnP Device Host to Automatic (delayed start.) They are running.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

:)

BrucePyle, Dec 12, 2019
  2. Everestar Win User

Wi-Fi access

Hello. There are 3 computers, 3 Wi-Fi receivers and 1 Wi-Fi router. All 3 computers access the Internet from the router. Needed to have shared access to files and folders, that is, so that you can copy information from computer to computer without transferring it to the flash drive. How can I do it?

Everestar, Dec 12, 2019
  3. Different Network Connection From the same Wi-Fi

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

• What happens when you try to connect through the Wi-Fi, are you able to access to internet?
    • Does your Desktop support or does it has a Wi-Fi device to connect to the same Wi-Fi?
    As mentioned above in your post, the Desktop is connected to the Ethernet
    and Laptop is Connected to the Wi-Fi. It is not possible to connect to the same Wi-Fi networks. If both Desktop and Laptop are on Wi-Fi devices then you could try connecting it to the same Wi-Fi network.

Note: To transfer the files you have to share the files and folders on a network.

Method 1: If you are already using the HomeGroup.
    Network discovery might be blocking you from seeing other computers and devices on the network. Check if the Network discovery is turned on. If the network discovery setting on your computer is set to off, you won't see other computers and devices
    on the network.

Steps to Turn on network discovery.

• Press Windows key, type sharing and click on
      Manage advanced sharing settings.
    • Under Private, Network discovery, check mark the option
      Turn on network discovery.
    • Try the same on all the computers connected to the network.
    If the issue still persists,

Method 2: I would suggest you to
    create a new HomeGroup and check if it helps.

Refer: HomeGroup
    from start to finish

(Applies to Windows 10 as well)

Keep us posted to help you better.

Sachin Venkatesh, Dec 12, 2019
  4. Desktop cannot access shared folders on new laptop over wi-fi

Trouble Changing Wi-Fi Password

I've been following the following steps to change my Wi-Fi password for some time:

1. Launch Control Panel.
    2. Click "Network and Internet."
    3. Click "Network and Sharing Center."
    4. Click "Wi-Fi...."
    5. Click "Wireless Properties."
    6. Click the Security tab.
    7. Check "Show characters."
    8. Enter the password in "Network security key."
    Those steps have been working just fine, but today I discovered a new wrinkle. If I change the password inside the router first, "Wi-Fi..." doesn't appear in step 4. This isn't much of a problem at home, because I can just change the password in Control Panel before I change it inside the router, but it would be a problem at a public hotspot, or something of that nature. I also tested Brink's instructions in "How to Connect To a Wireless Network in Windows 10," but they don't work for me either. How can I fix this?

gregyurkon, Dec 12, 2019
Thema:

Desktop cannot access shared folders on new laptop over wi-fi

1. Desktop cannot access shared folders on new laptop over wi-fi - Similar Threads - Desktop cannot access

2. How to share files over WI-FI NOT bluetooth with nearby share

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to share files over WI-FI NOT bluetooth with nearby share: so it's known issue when you share files with NEarby share. I tried everything but it doesn't transfer files with wi-fi, bluetooth only. Who can help with settings? I have laptop windows 10 and PC windows 11....
  3. How to share files over WI-FI NOT bluetooth with nearby share

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to share files over WI-FI NOT bluetooth with nearby share: so it's known issue when you share files with NEarby share. I tried everything but it doesn't transfer files with wi-fi, bluetooth only. Who can help with settings? I have laptop windows 10 and PC windows 11....
  4. How to share files over WI-FI NOT bluetooth with nearby share

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. cannot access shared folder on windows 8 laptop

cannot access shared folder on windows 8 laptop: Hello all, I am trying to share some files and folders on a windows 8.1 laptop with a windows 10 desktop. I have enabled all share options and authorizations on both computers and on the source files as well. However, on the windows 8.1 laptop the other pc is not visible...
  6. Using Wi-Fi. Need to share this connection over ethernet.

Using Wi-Fi. Need to share this connection over ethernet.: NOTE: I do not have physical access to the modem/router that broadcasts the WI-FI I am using. The laptop I am using is connected to the internet over wi-fi. I have a PC that does not have wi-fi capability. I have a switch so I can connect my laptop to the PC over ethernet....
  7. How to share music over home wi-fi network with Groove ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to share music over home wi-fi network with Groove ?: Hi, I like the Groove app and use it on my desktop a lot. I have chosen it mainly for the nice-looking interface. I would like my wife to be able to access my music on her laptop via our home wi-fi network. I can't figure out how to do it with Groove. I can do it...
  8. Cannot access files over Network Sharing

Cannot access files over Network Sharing: After a good deal of bad words about the removal of homegroup and about the "easy" Windows 10 file sharing, squeezing my brain to the last neuron and thanks to the help of the community too ... *** I succeeded in having my 2 PCs on my home network visible one each other on...
  9. Nearby Sharing & Wi-Fi

in Windows 10 Customization
    Nearby Sharing & Wi-Fi: Is there a way to set up a policy on our surface tablets that would prevent our users from connecting to a wireless network or their cell phone hot spot but at the same time let us utilize the Nearby Sharing option? From what I understand you need to have Nearby Sharing on,...
  10. Wi-fi Internet Sharing

Wi-fi Internet Sharing: Hi there - What I'm trying to do is to FORCE all the computers on my Lan to go through a SERVER gateway (probably using something like ICS) when they are all Wirelessly connected. So say I have a SERVER at 192.168.1.2 which is connected to the internet - I want all the...