Windows 10: Desktop: change icon autoarrange order from columns to rows

Discus and support Desktop: change icon autoarrange order from columns to rows in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hello, I have an issue with the autoarrange of icons on the desktop. I like to organized my icons in rows and have several rows with different grouped... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by MonoArdilla, Jan 9, 2020.

1. Desktop: change icon autoarrange order from columns to rows

Hello,

I have an issue with the autoarrange of icons on the desktop. I like to organized my icons in rows and have several rows with different grouped icons. However, when I download new files to my desktop, their icons are automatically arranged in columns on the desktop, thus creating columns of icons that are perpendicular to my organized rows.

I would like that the new files that I download to the desktop autoarrange themselves as a new row, specifically in the first row at the top of the desktop. How can I achieve this?

Thank you in advance!

(Windows 10 OS version 18363.535)

:)

MonoArdilla, Jan 9, 2020

2. Desktop icons have rearranged from rows to colums on Windows 10.

Original Title: Desktop Row/Column issue.

So, while I was away my cat hopped on the keyboard of an unlocked laptop and managed to make a minor but befuddling change.

My Windows 10 desktop now displays all icons in a single row. They can't be moved out of that row, although they can be reordered. The icons are all still intact, but only 6 icons can appear in the top row of the desktop.

It's pretty clear that the cat managed to change my row/column settings, but for the life of me I've not found another similar problem to use to troubleshoot a solution. Everything is working normally other than this setting, so I'm hesitant to refresh the
    PC. I'd appreciate any suggestions or ideas of where to look at troubleshooting this.

Thank you!

EricPattonLANCPA, Jan 9, 2020
  3. DrFadi Win User
    Icons will not move to bottom row of desktop?

I am having the exact same issue.

My desktop icons wont reach the bottom row.

its like there is a row in the bottom of the desktop just above the taskbar that the icons should occupy, but they are not !

After several attempts I managed to hold 3 or 4 icons together and moved them down and they reached the bottom successfully. But when I click Refresh everything goes back.

is it related to the display settings? I am using the recommended display setting which is 1920 x 1080 which I think it looks great, Now, when I change to 1680x1050 the icons reach the bottom row with no problems, but the graphics are not so good. I
    like it better with the 1920x1080

and guess what? I;m trying to arrange the desktop icons (like I place some icons in the right side of the desktop and others on the left side), whenever I click refresh all icons go to the left (The autoarrange feature is not clicked)

I wasted two hours of my life trying to figure out the problem with no solution

DrFadi, Jan 9, 2020
  4. DrFadi Win User

Desktop: change icon autoarrange order from columns to rows

Desktop icons not moving to bottom row

I am having the exact same issue.

My desktop icons wont reach the bottom row. After several attempts I managed to hold 3 or 4 icons together and moved them down and they reached the bottom successfully. But when I click Refresh everything goes back.

is it related to the display settings? I am using the recommended display setting which is 1920 x 1080 which I think it looks great, Now, when I change to 1680x1050 the icons reach the bottom row with no problems, but the graphics are not so good. I
    like it better with the 1920x1080

and guess what? I;m trying to arrange the desktop icons (like I place some icons in the right side of the desktop and others on the left side), whenever I click refresh all icons go to the left (The autoarrange feature is not clicked)

I wasted two hours of my life trying to figure out the problem.

DrFadi, Jan 9, 2020
Thema:

Desktop: change icon autoarrange order from columns to rows

1. Desktop: change icon autoarrange order from columns to rows - Similar Threads - Desktop change icon

2. Permanently change column order in Programs and Features

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Permanently change column order in Programs and Features: How do I permanently change the column order in 'Programs and Features'? I want the order to be 'Name', 'Installed On', 'Version', . . . so that it all fits on half the screen when I am updating software.On my desktop Windows 10 Pro 19044.2075, I can re-order the columns, but...
  3. Permanently change column order in Programs and Features

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Permanently change column order in Programs and Features: How do I permanently change the column order in 'Programs and Features'? I want the order to be 'Name', 'Installed On', 'Version', . . . so that it all fits on half the screen when I am updating software.On my desktop Windows 10 Pro 19044.2075, I can re-order the columns, but...
  4. Permanently change column order in Programs and Features

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Windows 11 changes number of icons on a column on desktop.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 changes number of icons on a column on desktop.: Hello. I'm a Windows 10 and Windows 11 user. I've recently upgraded to Windows 11 but Windows 11 has changed number of icons on a column on desktop. It displays only 9 on Windows 11 desktop screen whereas 10 on Windows 10. How do I make Windows 11 desktop having 10 rows of...
  6. Windows 11 changes number of icons on a column on desktop.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 changes number of icons on a column on desktop.: Hello. I'm a Windows 10 and Windows 11 user. I've recently upgraded to Windows 11 but Windows 11 has changed number of icons on a column on desktop. It displays only 9 on Windows 11 desktop screen whereas 10 on Windows 10. How do I make Windows 11 desktop having 10 rows of...
  7. Windows Display Scaling Changes Excel Column and Row Count

Windows Display Scaling Changes Excel Column and Row Count: Hello.After almost 4 years of using my old laptop, I have recently upgraded to a new laptop with a larger screen. On my previous device, the "Scale and layout" setting was set to 100% as was recommended, while on the new device, it is set to 125% as is recommended. Upon...
  8. Icons add to desktop in columns. Items on desktop are highlighted by rows. How does this...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Icons add to desktop in columns. Items on desktop are highlighted by rows. How does this...: When you have icons added to the desktop, they add vertically from top left down column by column moving right. When you select an icon, and hold shift, and select another icon, it highlights all the icons by row first, starting where selected and going right then down, row...
  9. Desktop Icon Columns

Desktop Icon Columns: I have lots of shortcut icons on my desktop for files and programs. That means 2 or 3 columns of small icons. It would appear the Win 10 will only allow 1 column. I've messed with the icon spacing and vertical spacing (regedit) and the vertical spacing works but horizontal...
  10. Order of desktop icons?

in Windows 10 Support
    Order of desktop icons?: I have my desktop icons on this new Win 10 PC set to sort by Name. But they are not! [img] Why is that? Is there something obvious that I'm missing? And, supposing they were all sorted exactly by name, does that mean you'd view them by column? IOW, say A-M in the...