Windows 10: Desktop complete is invisible after upgrade from Vista to 7 to 10

Discus and support Desktop complete is invisible after upgrade from Vista to 7 to 10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Here's what happened: 1. Laptop was bought with Windows Vista Home edition 2. Switched the hard drive to a newer used laptop 3. Upgraded from Vista... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by JadoogarAjooba, Jan 16, 2020.

1. Desktop complete is invisible after upgrade from Vista to 7 to 10

Here's what happened:

1. Laptop was bought with Windows Vista Home edition

2. Switched the hard drive to a newer used laptop

3. Upgraded from Vista to 7

At this point all my files were there just had to look for them. The Desktop was visible, BUT no icons or files were visible! It was like the "extended" view of the desktop. Since I was able to search for desktop file still and access it via Windows Explorer, I MOVED all those files to "My Documents" now. All good - except desktop was still all empty!

4. Upgraded from 7 to 10

NOW, everytime I turn it on, I get to the login screen... enter my credentials, and then it's gone!

I see that the laptop is on, and I can see that it's working somewhere!!!, but all I see is a blank/dark/black screen.

a. As soon as I do, Ctrl+Alt+Del, I see the options on the screen

But, I don't see anything else ever.

:)

JadoogarAjooba, Jan 16, 2020

2. Upgrade to Win 10 from Vista with "Vista to Windows 7" Upgrade Software key?

Ive got a Vista to Windows 7 upgrade package that was given to my Dad a few Christmases ago. After Mom passed away last year I brought that PC to my house to replace my daughter's about to die old desktop. I had performed the upgrade to Dad's PC with
    much difficulty, having to follow a bunch of extra steps to make that HP Pavillion Desktop running Vista ready to run the Windows 7 upgrade from the purchased upgrade disk. Soon after I brought the PC home with me, I wiped the PC and reinstalled the factory
    software (back to Vista). I ran the same "ready the HP computer for Windows 7" procedure (which I had gotten from the Windows support site as a quick registry fix that ran from a downloaded .msi file). The Win7 upgrade would not work, and I tried several
    times. NOw that Windows 10 is free to upgrade from 7, I was wondering if I might get a Win10 upgrade install by using the Windows 7 upgrade License Key. Anyone have such a knowledge as to whether this is possible? I have not been able to complete the
    upgrade to Windows 7 on my Vista machine, and if it is possible to get an authorized download using my Vista to Win 7 License key, that would be great.

DaleLature, Jan 16, 2020
  3. W1zzard Win User
    Forum upgrade complete

The upgrade to XenForo 2 is now complete.

Please report any issues/requests/ideas in this thread.

TODO:
    • Look into style improvements
      (feel free to suggest ideas)
    • Custom post edit time limit addon
    Fixed:
    • PM sending throwing an error
    • Adjust maximum width
    • Add stats below avatars
    • Logout link missing on TPU main site
    • Forum not sending emails
    • Added posts per day
    • Add news boxes on forumhome
    • Highlight stickies better
    • Add long service badge
    • Add sigpic plugin
    • Look into avatar size for thread view
    • Heatware in BST
    • Sigquote

W1zzard, Jan 16, 2020
  4. illenic01 Win User

Desktop complete is invisible after upgrade from Vista to 7 to 10

Windows 10 Upgrade for Vista Desktop

I have a laptop running windows 7 I was offered the windows 10 upgrade. So I downloaded it with the media creation tool. And was wondering if I make a cd with windows 10 if can use it on my desktop running windows vista and it would my vista product key
    to validate, as I would like to keep windows 7 on my laptop. Thanks!

illenic01, Jan 16, 2020
Thema:

Desktop complete is invisible after upgrade from Vista to 7 to 10

1. Desktop complete is invisible after upgrade from Vista to 7 to 10 - Similar Threads - Desktop complete invisible

2. Completed Upgrade From Windows 7 to 10 - Now No Sound

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Completed Upgrade From Windows 7 to 10 - Now No Sound: Tried uninstalling drivers. System says the 'best drivers for your system are installed. I don't even get the tones when I do the speaker test....
  3. Completed Upgrade From Windows 7 to 10 - Now No Sound

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Completed Upgrade From Windows 7 to 10 - Now No Sound: Tried uninstalling drivers. System says the 'best drivers for your system are installed. I don't even get the tones when I do the speaker test....
  4. Windows 10 upgrade from Vista

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 upgrade from Vista: I have a Windows 10 upgrade that I purchased for my wife some time ago but she did not want to upgrade. Now she does. The upgrade is on a memory stick. Windows 10 says that it can not upgrade from Vista and my computer does not recognize the memory stick as a boot-able...
  5. Windows 10 upgrade from Vista

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 upgrade from Vista: I have a Windows 10 upgrade that I purchased for my wife some time ago but she did not want to upgrade. Now she does. The upgrade is on a memory stick. Windows 10 says that it can not upgrade from Vista and my computer does not recognize the memory stick as a boot-able...
  6. Upgrade from Vista to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade from Vista to Windows 10: I have a laptop that has Windows Vista and I'd like to upgrade it to Windows 10, can I do that? I already have Windows 10 on our second laptop and I have a subscription for Microsoft 365. Does this mean that I have access to Windows 10 to install on my other devices?...
  7. Upgrading from vista to windows 10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Upgrading from vista to windows 10: I just upgraded memory & hard drive in a older Vista machine and loaded windows 10 home. Is there a cost reduction since I am upgrading from a old version of windows?...
  8. win 7 & vista to 10 upgrades??

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    win 7 & vista to 10 upgrades??: Hi all, hope your having a great day.. I have a few desktop's I would like to upgrade, I have 3 that have windows 7 that I installed not long ago.. and I have a desktop that has the factory key to vista,but the HHD is formatted, it has the factory product key on the case, the...
  9. Computer invisible to network after upgrade from WIndows 7 to 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Computer invisible to network after upgrade from WIndows 7 to 10: I have 2 Windows computers. My first and main computer is Windows 10 and the second computer, which I use for image rendering and is connected to my first on a home network via Ethernet, was Windows 7. I just updated the second Windows 7 computer to Windows 10 and now it is...
  10. Taskbar completely unresponsive after upgrading to Win 10 from Win 7

in Windows 10 Support
    Taskbar completely unresponsive after upgrading to Win 10 from Win 7: Hello everyone. A few days ago I upgraded to Windows 10 and the installation went smoothly. I played around with it for awhile and really liked it, however, when I booted up my PC the next day, my taskbar was completely unresponsive. I can't open my start menu or click on any...