Windows 10: Desktop computer refuses to sleep when logged in

Discus and support Desktop computer refuses to sleep when logged in in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; My system seems to sleep if I do not log in after restarting the system. As soon as I log in, the system becomes an insomniac. I have used Code:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Xilnik, Mar 27, 2017.

1. Xilnik Win User

Desktop computer refuses to sleep when logged in

My system seems to sleep if I do not log in after restarting the system. As soon as I log in, the system becomes an insomniac. I have used Code: powercfg -requests[/quote] to determine that I have a fairly common issue that prevents my system from sleeping. Code: SYSTEM: [DRIVER] \FileSystem\srvnet An active remote client has recently sent requests to this machine.[/quote] To resolve that problem, I attempted to follow instructions given by other tech-savvy people. Code: powercfg /REQUESTSOVERRIDE driver \FileSystem\srvnet system[/quote] That did not resolve my issue (the command seemed to go through fine with no error or warning messages), so I am here trying to find other possible troubleshooting steps. Any ideas?

Edit: I also turned off media streaming to see if that had an effect. My system still refused to sleep when idle with media streaming turned off.

:)

Xilnik, Mar 27, 2017
  2. earl.jo Win User

no sleep mode

After installing windows10 on my Lenovo W500 laptop I find there is no mode to put the computer to sleep after logging off. I need to re-log in to my desktop and right click the windows icon in the lower left corner and enter sleep mode. This mode sometimes
    cause problems to reopen my desktop. Anybody know why there is not the sleep icon in the sign-in window. My desktop allows shutdown, sleep or restart options at the sign-in screen

earl.jo, Mar 27, 2017
  3. TonySobhy Win User
    Shut down and restart

My windows 10 laptop refuses to shut down and refuses to restart. It only sleeps when I click on sleep button from the start menu and when I fold it. I haven’t tried to push the power button as I know that is not good.

TonySobhy, Mar 27, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

A part of the work to enter sleep involves the graphics driver. Check yours is up to date, or if it has recently been updated, try rolling it back.

The relationship between Sleep and the graphics driver pre-dates Windows 10.
    https://arstechnica.com/civis/viewto...f=15&t=1217345

5. Xilnik Win User
    I have had this problem since Windows 10 was first released. I pretty much always keep my graphics card driver up to date, so I do not believe that is the root of my troubles. I seem to recall clean installing Windows 10 at one point, and the system slept when idle up until I activated the Homegroup. I have three other systems on the same Homegroup. Two of those three sleep when idle without issue.

The other system used to sleep without issue until I started using it to share external drives over the network via the Homegroup. The desktop system I refer to in this thread is my main system for providing backed up files, backup locations, media sharing (but with media streaming turned off), etc. It has two drives it shares over the network that are not system drives. They are both shared in their entirety which does not allow them to be share via the Homegroup, but some subdirectories are also shared on the Homegroup. Are there any known issues with sharing non-system drives and/or directories on those drives over the network and that interfering with sleep?

Could it be because I map some of the network locations to mapped network drives within my other systems?

Xilnik, Mar 28, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    You may well be right that network rather than graphics is at the root of your troubles. This thread (also pre-dating Win10) seems relevant.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com...w7itprogeneral

7. Xilnik Win User
    I turned off network sharing by turning off Network Discovery in the Advanced sharing settings, and the system went to sleep. I then re-enabled Network Discovery and removed all shared items by selecting each individual item on my system and changing its sharing properties. The system now sleeps. I will add each shared item back one by one and test to see if I can determine which item is causing issues. Then maybe you, someone else, or I can determine why and how to troubleshoot/fix the conflict.

Xilnik, Mar 28, 2017
  8. Bree New Member

Did you try the powercfg /requestsoverride command?

Code: POWERCFG /REQUESTSOVERRIDE [<CALLER_TYPE> <NAME> <REQUEST>] Description: Sets a Power Request override for a particular Process, Service, or Driver. If no parameters are specified, this command displays the current list of Power Request overrides. Parameter List: <CALLER_TYPE> Specifies one of the following caller types: PROCESS, SERVICE, DRIVER. This is obtained by calling the "POWERCFG /REQUESTS" command. <NAME> Specifies the caller name. This is the name returned from calling the "POWERCFG /REQUESTS" command. <REQUEST> Specifies one or more of the following Power Request Types: DISPLAY, SYSTEM, AWAYMODE. Examples: POWERCFG /REQUESTSOVERRIDE PROCESS wmplayer.exe DISPLAY SYSTEM[/quote]

9. Xilnik Win User
    [/quote] From my original post:

to determine that I have a fairly common issue that prevents my system from sleeping. Code: SYSTEM: [DRIVER] \FileSystem\srvnet An active remote client has recently sent requests to this machine.[/quote] To resolve that problem, I attempted to follow instructions given by other tech-savvy people. Code: powercfg /REQUESTSOVERRIDE driver \FileSystem\srvnet system[/quote]

That did not resolve my issue (the command seemed to go through fine with no error or warning messages), so I am here trying to find other possible troubleshooting steps. Any ideas?[/quote]

Xilnik, Mar 28, 2017
  10. Xilnik Win User
    Further investigation yielded that enabling my Homegroup caused my desktop to stop sleeping. I thought it might have been my printer through the network, but removing that from the network sharing/Homegroup did not resolve the issue. The only thing that works is turning off the Homegroup on the desktop. I have three other systems on the same Homegroup that still sleep when idle. Curious ...

At any rate, I am clean installing Windows 10 1607 on my desktop now. For the fifth or sixth time, my Microsoft synced user profile became corrupted. Repair installs and/or fixing the corrupted user profile by migrating to a new profile do not seem to be fixing that corruption beyond providing a temporary fix for several days, so it's time to see if a clean install does the trick. I will post back tomorrow whether Homegroup causes issues with idle sleep mode again or not.

Xilnik, Mar 28, 2017
  11. Xilnik Win User
    Homegroup sharing my printer was causing all my issues. I turned Homegroup off and am sharing my files and printers the old school way from back in the XP days. The system now sleeps when idle.

Xilnik, Mar 30, 2017
  12. Urik Win User
    Hey Xilnik, I don't know if you're subscribed to this, but thought I'd add my two cents.
    I've encountered this "not going to sleep" issue for years ever since I started using homegroups, and it has definitely been the case with Windows 8 as well. After recent clean reinstall of Windows 10 it came back which caused me to stumble into this thread.
    What fixed the issue for me is something I remember I've done in the past - leaving the homegroup on all connected PC's, and then shutting them down. The end result should be no traces of former homegroup, so it never says "join the homegroup" on every PC but "create homegroup" option should be available. Then, create a new homegroup on the PC you had problems with - while other computers are switched off, and then join each other computers to the new group.
    This has fixed the non-sleeping bug (once again) for me, at least on this main PC ( I haven't fully checked but I'm pretty sure others go to sleep too ).
    The reason this happens ( as I've read somewhere years ago ) is that something becomes wrong with the homegroup i.e. it becomes kinda corrupted and doesn't act correctly across machines.

13. Xilnik Win User

Hi, Urik. I appreciate your input. I had actually tried recreating the homegroup several times over the past few years in hopes it would fix the issue. For a long time, I just dealt with my main system always being on and tried not to let it bother me. Financial constraints became a factor recently with electricity bills rising, so I looked into it more. I believe there is something unique about my sleep issues related to a conflict between my printer and the homegroup. I suppose I could contact Canon and see what they recommend in that regard, but connecting my network devices without the homegroup seems to have resolved my issues for the time being.

Xilnik, Apr 19, 2017
  14. Urik Win User
    I've read your reply, and just to update, my solution didn't stick for me either - shortly after the main PC stopped going to sleep again.
    So I might end up overriding the process or just ignore it.

Thema:

1. Desktop computer refuses to sleep when logged in - Similar Threads - Desktop computer refuses

2. Putting computer to sleep causes it to crash when logged in to my account

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Putting computer to sleep causes it to crash when logged in to my account: Hi there. Recently when I have been putting my computer to sleep the monitor turns off but the computer stays onfans etc all still on. I then try to wake it and I cant so I have to do a hard reset. So something is causing my computer to crash before it goes to sleep. I have...
  3. Windows 10 sometimes logs out when computer sleeps

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 sometimes logs out when computer sleeps: Hello,My Windows 10 laptop has started to log me off when it goes to sleep. This is extremely frustrating because I lose all my open documents and windows. How can I stop it from happening?Many thanks!...
  4. Windows 10 sometimes logs out when computer sleeps

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 sometimes logs out when computer sleeps: Hello,My Windows 10 laptop has started to log me off when it goes to sleep. This is extremely frustrating because I lose all my open documents and windows. How can I stop it from happening?Many thanks!...
  5. Windows 10 sometimes logs out when computer sleeps

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Computer refuses to update when restarting

in Windows 10 Customization
    Computer refuses to update when restarting: After I run updates on my computer it tells me to restart my PC to install them. At 0% the computer quits attempting to update and restarts with an opening message "We couldn't complete the updates, Undoing changes"...
  7. Both laptop and desktop refuse to enter sleep mode.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Both laptop and desktop refuse to enter sleep mode.: I'm really at a loss here. I have three devices running Windows 10. One is a surface with integrated graphics that works fine. The other two are a laptop with an Nvidia GPU, and my desktop with an Nvidia GPU as well. The laptop and desktop simply refuse to enter sleep mode....
  8. Computer goes to sleep and refuses to wake up.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Computer goes to sleep and refuses to wake up.: I use an OptiPlex 3050 at work. I restarted the computer to install the updates. It restarted and then went to sleep. The power button flashes orange three times and white six times. I have to hold the power button for it to go off. When I hit the power button again it shows...
  9. Windows 10 refuses to sleep

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 refuses to sleep: Hi! I felt like I should re-open that thread here. I got an issue (on the pic attached). Anyone knows how to kill that beast? 2208
  10. Computer refuses to shut down or sleep.

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer refuses to shut down or sleep.: Hey everybody! I've found these forums to be a tremendous help with other troubleshooting issues I've had in the past. Thanks in advance for anyone willing to help me out again! Anyway, the problem is that the whenever I shut down my computer, there's a very short delay...