Windows 10: Desktop computer showing up as a Media Device on the network instead of a Computer. Unable...

Discus and support Desktop computer showing up as a Media Device on the network instead of a Computer. Unable... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; My Computer is showing up on the network as a Media Device, as seen below. [ATTACH] It shows up this way both on the Desktop machine itself, and the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by StacyJohnson8, Nov 17, 2020.

1. Desktop computer showing up as a Media Device on the network instead of a Computer. Unable...

My Computer is showing up on the network as a Media Device, as seen below.

Desktop computer showing up as a Media Device on the network instead of a Computer. Unable... 087a02cc-edc3-403b-956b-1123644eaf3b?upload=true.png

It shows up this way both on the Desktop machine itself, and the laptop trying to access it. The machine is running version 1903, currently on OS build 18362.418. This is my first time attempting to set up a shared folder. I can see another thread about this problem dating from January and nobody offered a lasting solution. Somebody found a workaround which seems to do the trick, which is going to the Run menu and typing \\JACK-DESKTOP-PC i.e. the computer name. This seems like a tedious workaround to have to use. Is there a permanent fix to get the computer recognised as a computer instead of a media device?

:)

StacyJohnson8, Nov 17, 2020
  2. Jack_448 Win User

Desktop computer showing up as a Media Device on the network instead of a Computer. Unable to access shared files

My Computer is showing up on the network as a Media Device, as seen below.

Desktop computer showing up as a Media Device on the network instead of a Computer. Unable... 8fe3b5a9-4491-48b2-998c-93a9aeb9fbeb?upload=true.png

It shows up this way both on the Desktop machine itself, and the laptop trying to access it. The machine is running version 1903, currently on OS build 18362.418. This is my first time attempting to set up a shared folder. I can see another thread about
    this problem dating from January and nobody offered a lasting solution. Somebody found a workaround which seems to do the trick, which is going to the Run menu and typing \\JACK-DESKTOP-PC (i.e. the computer name). This seems like a tedious workaround to have
    to use. Is there a permanent fix to get the computer recognised as a computer instead of a media device?

Jack_448, Nov 17, 2020
  3. Network notwork - computers listed as media devices. 1803 again!

Notwork of 3 computers, Win 10, all patched to v1803, D is pro, hard wired to router, E is wife's desk and R is new portable - both 10-home on Wi-Fi.

R is new, an Asus SonicMaster S510U that is recognized by the router. It has internet connectivity but I cannot transfer files to it except with sneakernet.

I looked at the network structure on each computer using "Control Panel devices and printers" as well as File mgr - Network.

D- devices: D and E listed as media devices, no computers, D does not see R.
    D- Network: D and E listed as media devices. Dbl click either brings up Media Player.

E- devices: D and R listed as media devices.
    E- Network: D and E listed as computers and D again as a media device.

R- devices: D and E show up as media devices.
    R- Network: R as a computer and D as a media device.

The new laptop R is a ghost, sometimes seen but mostly not and doesn't participate.

Using Team Viewer 12
    D and E connect, test file transfers OK.
    D and R connect, I can see partial R desktop (shows links but not folders), R sees D file structure, files will not transfer.

Don't know if this matters - I ran the Network troubleshooter on all three computers - "Windows could not automatically detect this network's proxy settings", on any of them.

I'm a geologist at wits end.

stonecherub, Nov 17, 2020
  4. Desktop computer showing up as a Media Device on the network instead of a Computer. Unable...

Computer appears on network only as Media Device

I have two computers, a desktop and a laptop, whose files I want to share over a network. This was possible until the recent OS revisions. I have followed the current instructions for file sharing/networking--setting permissions, etc. On both computers
    only the desktop appears in File Explorer listed under Network/Computer(s). The laptop appears only under Media Devices and I am unable to access any but media (video, music and picture) files. Any assistance would be appreciated.

TerryPetersen1, Nov 17, 2020
Thema:

Desktop computer showing up as a Media Device on the network instead of a Computer. Unable...

1. Desktop computer showing up as a Media Device on the network instead of a Computer. Unable... - Similar Threads - Desktop computer showing

2. Devices / Computers not showing up in Network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Devices / Computers not showing up in Network: For some reason I can't see any computers on the network anymore, not even my own PC. It used to work just fine, but now nothing is showing up inside the Network 0 items and I didn't changed anything at all I didn't installed any new program, didn't update/remove any...
  3. Devices / Computers not showing up in Network

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Devices / Computers not showing up in Network: For some reason I can't see any computers on the network anymore, not even my own PC. It used to work just fine, but now nothing is showing up inside the Network 0 items and I didn't changed anything at all I didn't installed any new program, didn't update/remove any...
  4. Desktop computer showing up as a Media Device on the network instead of a Computer. Unable...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Desktop computer showing up as a Media Device on the network instead of a Computer. Unable...: 5/24/2021 It shows up this way both on the Desktop machine itself, and the laptop trying to access it. The machine is running 5/14/21 update Version 20H2 for x64-based Systems KB5003173. I have had repeated loss of my shared folder subsequent to updates. Is there a...
  5. Networked computer not showing up

Networked computer not showing up: I've just installed Win10 on a small networked computer ethernet, which previously had Win7 on it. I access it most frequently from my desktop computer, also connected via ethernet. I have set up sharing on this computer, and can see, access, and write to folders on it, on...
  6. Desktop computer showing up as a Media Device on the network instead of a Computer. Unable...

Desktop computer showing up as a Media Device on the network instead of a Computer. Unable...: My Computer is showing up on the network as a Media Device, as seen below. [ATTACH] It shows up this way both on the Desktop machine itself, and the laptop trying to access it. The machine is running version 1903, currently on OS build 18362.418. This is my first time...
  7. Networking: Computers no longer show up on network.

Networking: Computers no longer show up on network.: I suddenly have an issue with no computers showing up on the network on one of my computers which us connected via ethernet. A second computer on the ethernet lists all computers but cannot access the first one and a third on wifi lists the first ethernet computer. All...
  8. Computers not showing up on network

Computers not showing up on network: I have a network of 5 computers- are on Private Networks, but 4 computers recognize 4 computers but not the 5th, while the 5th computer recognizes all 5 computers. I can't map any network drive to 5th since it isn't recognized on the list. Also, don't know if this matters,...
  9. Computer appears on network only as Media Device

Computer appears on network only as Media Device: I have two computers, a desktop and a laptop, whose files I want to share over a network. This was possible until the recent OS revisions. I have followed the current instructions for file sharing/networking--setting permissions, etc. On both computers only the desktop...
  10. Other computers in network not showing; shows old network instead.

Other computers in network not showing; shows old network instead.: Preface: I am running a laptop which I upgraded from windows 7 to windows 10. I also have a desktop that is still running windows 7. One of the hard drives on my desktop is shared, and I often-enough will copy files from my laptop to my desktop. The laptop connects wirelessly...