Windows 10: Desktop context menu not work when right click mouse over Drive on File Explorer

Discus and support Desktop context menu not work when right click mouse over Drive on File Explorer in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; After I opened File Explorer and highlighted drive C, I right clicked my mouse and expected the context menu would be displayed. However, it waited... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Sam Hotmail, Oct 20, 2020.

1. Desktop context menu not work when right click mouse over Drive on File Explorer

After I opened File Explorer and highlighted drive C, I right clicked my mouse and expected the context menu would be displayed. However, it waited for a while and the whole desktop restarted.

If I clicked 'This PC' on the left panel of File Explorer, and on the right hand panel, right click the mouse over any of the devices like C:, I could open the context menu.

Why it failed on the left panel of File Explorer?

:)

Sam Hotmail, Oct 20, 2020

2. mouse right click will not open my file explorer in taskbar

Hello Carl,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

We regret the inconvenience caused to you. We will assist you to resolve this issue.

• What happens when you left clicking?
    • When you say right click, do you actually mean left click?
    • Which all troubleshooting steps have you already tried to resolve this issue?

Left clicking with mouse will open File explorer or any other programs. Whereas right click will give you context menu.

I suggest you to right-click on the File Explorer
    on the task bar and select Unpin from Taskbar. Now in the search bar type
    File Explorer and right click on it and select Pin it to Taskbar
    and check if it helps.

Let us know the status of the issue. We will be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Sangeeta Sarkar, Oct 20, 2020
  3. File Explorer task bar context menu pinned items not working

Basically, when I right-click on the File Explorer it brings up the context menu fine. But when I click on a pinned or recent document it closes the context menu and then nothing happens. All other context menus work fine. Also, the File Explorer, Unpin
    and Close Window options work fine (although sometimes the list of recent files covers those options).

I tried to fix it by running gpedit.msc and going to
    User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > File Explorer and disabled Remove File Explorer’s default context menu. I also enabled Display the menu bar in File Explorer (they were both not
    configured by default). And then I restarted my computer. It fixed nothing.

Just a small problem, because I can always just open another window through the context menu or if it's cover open another directory in another window through the already opened window. It's just a pain because I do
    a lot of file management, and it makes it really tedious and slow.

Thanks,

-

Electroshockist, Oct 20, 2020
  4. Callender Win User

Desktop context menu not work when right click mouse over Drive on File Explorer

Editing the File Explorer right-click menu?

The problem is that you need to explain which entries you want to remove from which context menu.

You get a different right click context menu (with maybe similar entries but with differences too) when you right click on:

A drive icon
    A folder icon (varies depending on type of folder)
    A file icon (varies according to file type)
    Your desktop right click context menu.
    Your desktop right click "new" context menu.

Callender, Oct 20, 2020
Thema:

Desktop context menu not work when right click mouse over Drive on File Explorer

1. Desktop context menu not work when right click mouse over Drive on File Explorer - Similar Threads - Desktop context menu

2. Windows 11 23h2 missing context menu on desktop right mouse click and explorer top menu...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 23h2 missing context menu on desktop right mouse click and explorer top menu...: After installing Ati Radeon Xpress 1200 Vista x64 driver the last x64 driver version available for this card on old Notebook PC on fresh copy of Windows 11 x64 23H2:On Desktop items right mouse click context menu has disappeared.On File Explorer top menu disappeared tooRight...
  3. Windows 11 23h2 missing context menu on desktop right mouse click and explorer top menu...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 23h2 missing context menu on desktop right mouse click and explorer top menu...: After installing Ati Radeon Xpress 1200 Vista x64 driver the last x64 driver version available for this card on old Notebook PC on fresh copy of Windows 11 x64 23H2:On Desktop items right mouse click context menu has disappeared.On File Explorer top menu disappeared tooRight...
  4. Right Click context menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Right Click context menu: How to restore old Right-click Context menu in Windows 11 as default https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/right-click-context-menu/cdfdc643-2248-4080-9d73-4685d6fdbe15
  5. Right-click context menu in File Explorer missing

in Windows 10 Customization
    Right-click context menu in File Explorer missing: Somehow, my entire "New" submenu is missing in File Explorer. I tried adding the registry entry under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers. as shown below, but it didn't help.Under ContextMenuHandlers check if you can find a key by name New, if...
  6. Right-Click Context menu stuck at loading in File Explore.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Right-Click Context menu stuck at loading in File Explore.: Hello Context menu is working fine in desktop and side panel but, after selecting folder and right clicking it never opens waited around 15 min file explore is not showing not responding tag. tried every thing which are mentioned in this thread....
  7. Right Click over File Explorer Drive Letter, Context menu Didn't Displayed but Desktop Refresh

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Right Click over File Explorer Drive Letter, Context menu Didn't Displayed but Desktop Refresh: Yesterday, I had asked such a question as mentioned on subject. I solved it myself by deleting entries like {90AA3A41-2CBA-...} by regedit. Today, after reboot the notebook, the same issue occurred. I had tried the following methods: 1 DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image...
  8. Right Click Context menu.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Right Click Context menu.: How can I change the size of the right click context menu? And can somebody tell me why the context menu changes its size automatically. Right now its showing like thispicture attached, earlier the width was less. [IMG]...
  9. Right-click Context Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Right-click Context Menu: I click on ads on some websites and gadgets to give revenue to the service provider. Generally, I want to right-click, then click on 'Open Link in New Tab'. More and more, right-clicking is acting like left-clicking and taking me to the ad site in the current tab or doing...
  10. Right click context menu for explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Right click context menu for explorer: Trying to create a Right click context menu for explorer. I used to be able to launch VLC mediaplayer by right clicking on a Video_ts folder and chose play with VLC, seems to have gone for some reason...tried a few programs to help me with this but no luck yet....just tried...