Windows 10: desktop deconfiguration after windows update

Discus and support desktop deconfiguration after windows update in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hello, Okay..., so everything was working as normal, and when I updated windows today and i restarted the system: my desktop is a completly mess.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by claras1, Aug 1, 2020.

1. claras1 Win User

desktop deconfiguration after windows update

Hello,

Okay..., so everything was working as normal, and when I updated windows today and i restarted the system: my desktop is a completly mess.

The size every element/folder has in the screen is larger and a group of then are overlaped. So I cant move them because they are larger and there is no more space in the screen. I cant neither put them closer to each other.

I'll show you now how is my desktop after the updates:

desktop deconfiguration after windows update [​IMG]

It happened after an update, so i think it is the problem because i didnt change anything on the desktop.

I would like you to help me to put the icons closer to each other, shortening the space between them.

Thank you in advance.

:)

claras1, Aug 1, 2020

2. Why did the startup window get cleared?

I didn't missed any step, the list was gone and gone , even after using lot of programs the programs were not listed in that list.

smartali89, Aug 1, 2020
  3. AsRock Win User
    Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, Aug 1, 2020
  4. deving Win User

User.000 issue after updating to 1909

I'm one of the many people suffering from issues with user profiles after applying Update 1909 to Windows 10. I've read all the threads I can find on the topic here and have followed the suggestions, all to no avail. Any other thoughts are appreciated.

After applying Update 1909, the ProfileImagePath was changed to c:\users\User.000
    One file that was always in use and couldn't be removed was left in c:\users\User (can't recall or find the exact file now), so I could never rename or remove the c:\user\User directory.

I followed the multiple suggestions from Brink and others:
    • Rebooted at least 6 times
    • Enabled hidden Administrator
    • Booted into Safe Mode
    • Changed ProfileImagePath
    • Tried to rename c:\users\User but couldn't because a file was still in use
    • Copied all data from c:\users\User.000 into c:\users\User
    • Rebooted and had temporary profile
    • Followed steps in Brink tutorial to change ImageProfilePath; rebooted with no change
    • Restored using Restore Point from before Update 1909 - returned to single profile state (User.000)
    • Removed each update that was installed individually and rebooted after each update removal - profile state never changed
    • After all updates were removed, repeated the steps above with hidden Administrator, changing profile, etc. - same issue with file in use in c:\users\User
    • Followed all steps above with hidden Administrator but without copying files from User.000 to User - same results

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

deving, Aug 1, 2020
Thema:

1. desktop deconfiguration after windows update - Similar Threads - desktop deconfiguration update

2. Desktop has changed after Windows update

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop has changed after Windows update: After a recent Windows update my Desktop had changed. It was like it was reset but certain icons were still there. My background had been changed and some icons gone. I previously asked this question and was told I might have been logged into a temporary account and I should...
  3. The Ghost desktop after update

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    The Ghost desktop after update: (context) Hello, I have a problem. I updated my computer before going to bed on the 25 of march the next day I turned on my computer and the desktop was empty except for the web browsers. When I was looking for my desktop files and went to the file location it sent me to a...
  4. Desktop not open after updation windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Desktop not open after updation windows 10: After updating windows 10 my desktop not start https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-not-open-after-updation-windows-10/a281fde4-d266-408c-a460-5d1ce8c2b07d
  5. The desktop crashed after updating to Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    The desktop crashed after updating to Windows 10: My HP laptop has Windows 10 installed, included with the purchase. I think it's a restored model and whoever restored the system didn't know exactly what they were doing. From the first day it has been very slow: the cursor will literally skip words as I write the programs...
  6. Desktop wiped twice after Windows update

Desktop wiped twice after Windows update: Hi, Updated Windows and my desktop was wiped, obviously a common thing for some reason. I ended up finding my files in C:/Users/(User Name)/Desktop This was good and I went on my way. But it needed to update again on shutdown so it did. Then to my surprise the next day...
  7. Problem with the desktop after updating.

Problem with the desktop after updating.: Hello, I express my problem and I hope you can advise me to solve it: Since my computer with Windows 10 made the update I see a black screen before logging into Windows 10....
  8. Windows 10 Desktop not available after update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Desktop not available after update: Hi. A couple days ago my computer updated (windows). It updated but when I after the update logged in to my computer, my desktop was completely dark with only the bin showing. I could not click anywhere and it said "Error: Desktop not available..." I tried creating a map...
  9. Desktop not found after update.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Desktop not found after update.: I have Windows 10 installed on my notebook on the SSD. I also have an HDD for storage. Windows automatically updated itself, but now when i turn on the computer it says desktop is missing. Its trying to boot from the HDD i think. I tried to disable the HDD boot but it...
  10. Desktop disappeared after Windows Update

Desktop disappeared after Windows Update: Dear Microsoft team, I am sorry to say that you are causing me quite some trouble since your last update as my desktop has disappeared. I cannot access it anymore (only see the Apps screen), I don't have any pinned icons/programs anymore in my start bar... frankly, quite...