Windows 10: Desktop disappears after boot

Discus and support Desktop disappears after boot in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've look and can't properly find a solution. My desktop shortcuts appear upon boot but disappear a few seconds later. I need to then right click... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Doc943, May 23, 2017.

1. Doc943 Win User

Desktop disappears after boot

I've look and can't properly find a solution.

My desktop shortcuts appear upon boot but disappear a few seconds later. I need to then right click on View and check show desktop icons (twice for some reason) to get them back. The positions are not affected.

Advice much appreciated.

:)

Doc943, May 23, 2017
  2. IB_990 Win User

Desktop Icons keep on Disappearing after every re-boot.

Hi Rishad,

Sadly all the Desktop icons are still disappearing even after a clean boot :-(

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Isaac

IB_990, May 23, 2017
  3. Desktop Disappeared After Windows 10 Update

After upgrading to windows 10, my desktop completely disappeared, sometimes it will flash for a micro second. The Desktop folder is still in my folder list and I can access it that way but prefer to have access to my desktop. I saw the other thread where
    it suggested a clean boot, but this did not work. Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Jessica23Q, May 23, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

dalchina, May 24, 2017
  5. DeclanT Win User
    Hi,

Are you able to open task manager by clicking Ctrl+Shift+Escape?

If so go to the processes tab and see if you can locate Explorer.exe

If Explorer.exe is not viable you need to right click and select new process and type Explorer.exe

DeclanT, May 24, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    @DeclanT - just wondering- how exactly will that help, or help identify the problem?

dalchina, May 24, 2017
  7. DeclanT Win User
    Explorer.exe manages the "Windows Graphical Shell" which if disabled shortcuts will not appear. This is unlikely the issue as Doc is able to right click and select View Desktop Icons, however, it is worth checking.

DeclanT, May 24, 2017
  8. Doc943 Win User

1. The issue did not occur in safe mode.
    2. I performed a clean start (verbatim, as per the tutorial). The issue did occur with all services and start up items disabled. Because of this I saw no value in selectively testing each item. I performed the clean start twice to make sure I was following the instructions accurately and achieved the same result.
    3. Explorer.exe is visible running as a process.
    4. Malwarebytes does not detect any anomalies.
    5. SFC scannow did not report any errors.
    6. Rebuilding the icon cache did nor resolve the issue.

I would concur that the issue seems likely in start up but disabling all services and task items did not identify the problem.

Doc943, May 25, 2017
  9. dalchina New Member
    Ok, good.. gives a basis to work with.

So you're looking for sthg that starts up but isn't disabled by doing a clean boot.

Please download Sysinternals Autoruns (by MS these days) - free.
    Before using it (and it's a convenient idea before setting up a clean boot too) make a backup of your registry.
    You could create a system restore point, but that failing (esp. with the Creator's Update until recently) has been- well- a sore point.

Run it as admin.
    Then it's up to you to choose things to disable. Choose carefully.

dalchina, May 25, 2017
  10. Doc943 Win User
    Okay - thanks. That software is way beyond my humble skills and I suspect the damage I could accidentally create is far greater than the annoyance of a hidden desktop issue
    Desktop disappears after boot [​IMG]

Doc943, May 25, 2017
  11. dalchina New Member
    If you're concerned, here are are ways to protect yourself- which you should use anyway.

1. Disk Imaging.
    All regular contributors here use disk imaging. We strongly and repeatedly recommend people use it routinely.

If you had been using this, you could have restore your PC to a working state before this started to occur- without technical help or arcane programs.

1. Macrium Reflect (free) + its boot disk + external storage for images.

You can then recover from (e.g.)
    - viruses/ransomware
    - failed disk (you restore your image(s) to a new one.
    - user error
    - unbootable and unrecoverable PC

Applies to all your disks and partitions including data, and acts as a full backup - you can recover files.

2. System Restore- restores your registry to a previous state (and other system files, drivers, installed programs).

3. A registry backup.
    In this case you're making registry changes. This is the most basic precautionary measure of the 3.
    It means you can restore your registry if things go wrong.

So, you save yuor current state.
    You tweak away with Autoruns and find the offending item.

You restore your current state and do what's necessary to what you've found.

Or yuo could ask your neighbourhood geek to help....(!)

dalchina, May 25, 2017
  12. Doc943 Win User
    Used to be able to step through a boot sequence one process at a time to trap a troublesome driver rather then guess at permutations...but I guess that was many OS's ago
    Desktop disappears after boot [​IMG]

Doc943, May 25, 2017
  13. dalchina New Member

Likewise, I started before Intel MDS's with Intel 8086's and 8" floppies. That was when MS-DOS was it. My first system at work used paper tape, so a 2-pass assembly meant literally feeding the assembler tape through twice. W

We even had a working version of a single chip microprocessor implemented in DIL chips with wire-wrap connections.

dalchina, May 25, 2017
  14. Doc943 Win User
    Solved. My computer kept turning on tablet mode even though I had disabled all I could in settings. The solution was to add a line to implicitly disable tablet mode in the registry.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ImmersiveShell]
    "TabletMode"=dword:00000000

Doc943, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Desktop disappears after boot - Similar Threads - Desktop disappears boot

2. Desktop Icons disappeared after switching to virtual desktop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Desktop Icons disappeared after switching to virtual desktop: Hello,I accidentally pressed a shortcut, not sure which one, something like Windows + Control + D, and it switched the desktop.I didn't know about these keys, but when I pressed them, all my icons from my original screen disapperead when switching to the other desktops.Is...
  3. Desktop Icons disappeared after switching to virtual desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop Icons disappeared after switching to virtual desktop: Hello,I accidentally pressed a shortcut, not sure which one, something like Windows + Control + D, and it switched the desktop.I didn't know about these keys, but when I pressed them, all my icons from my original screen disapperead when switching to the other desktops.Is...
  4. Desktop Icons disappeared after switching to virtual desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Bluetooth disappeared after clean boot

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Bluetooth disappeared after clean boot: Yep So my bluetooth has completely stopped functioning after a clean boot. Tired uninstalling bluetooth drivers via device manager and now they won't reinstall, bluetooth no longer appears on the manager, yes even under hidden devices. The button to enable bluetooth...
  6. Desktop disappeared??

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Desktop disappeared??: So I was just using my desktop and then my doc files and folders all stopped opening for some reason so I was like let me restart, I restart and boom all my folders, docs, txt files all gone! I freak out but I read somewhere that if you go to users and go to desktop you will...
  7. Icons on the desktop disappeared after update

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Icons on the desktop disappeared after update: My Laptop got updated a couple of months ago and all the icons that were on the desktop went missing. There are still available under the desktop folder though. I am not able to bring them back to the desktop screen....
  8. Desktop disappeared after Windows Update

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop disappeared after Windows Update: Dear Microsoft team, I am sorry to say that you are causing me quite some trouble since your last update as my desktop has disappeared. I cannot access it anymore (only see the Apps screen), I don't have any pinned icons/programs anymore in my start bar... frankly, quite...
  9. Desktop disappearing

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop disappearing: Running Windows 10 on a Dell Venue 8 pro Tablet. Several months ago, and just yesterday I lost my desktop. Turned on the Tablet went to the desktop picture after signing in and ... nothing. No live panels, no desktop icons, the action center would not appear. Just the desktop...
  10. Desktop disappeared

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop disappeared: I have been using Windows 10 for some time now. I just lost everything on my desktop. I had numerous folders,pictures, pdfs and some music. I can still get to it by going to file manager etc. But the folders and icons do not appear on the desktop. Only those boxes with...