Windows 10: Desktop exceeds size of monitor on three different monitors

Discus and support Desktop exceeds size of monitor on three different monitors in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have seen prior posts about this but none are exactly my problem and none of the suggestions fixed it. Turned on my laptop one day and the desktop... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by D RW, Feb 6, 2019.

1. D RW Win User

Desktop exceeds size of monitor on three different monitors

I have seen prior posts about this but none are exactly my problem and none of the suggestions fixed it.

Turned on my laptop one day and the desktop is larger than the monitor. If I move my cursor to an edge of the monitor, the display moves over - so I can see the entire desktop if I use my mouse to "move" it around. However, when I have my two external monitors hooked up the situation is more complex. Now I can see 1/3 of desktop 1 on monitor 2 and 2/3 of desktop 2 on monitor 3. Again, I can "move" these views around by moving my mouse to any edge of a desktop. This is a hassle, though - I just want to go back to having the desktop fit the monitor!

I am running Windows 10 and have tried:

1. Changing screen resolution - If I change it to the lowest possible resolution, the desktop almost fits the screen - but resolution is sacrificed big time.

2. Changing size of text, etc.

3. Uninstalling and installing Intel Graphics card

Any other ideas?

Debbie

:)

D RW, Feb 6, 2019

2. Desktop Size exceeds Monitor Display Size

Trying to use Windows 10, but the desktop size exceeds the size of the monitor deisplay.

I can't see the tool bars, including the on that would let me select minimum, maximum, quit, move, etc.

I've tried updating the driver, with no success.

It's a Samsung 32 inch monitor and worked fine in windows XP.

SpudMalone, Feb 6, 2019
  3. Riel Alc Win User
    Desktop Size exceeds Monitor Display Size

Hi Spud,

For us to better assist you with your monitor display size issue, we'd like to know the following:

• Which build and version of Windows are you running on your computer?
    To check, press Windows key + R > type winver
    > hit Enter.

• Is this the first time you've tried connecting your monitor to the Windows 10 computer?
    • If no, were there any changes made to your computer prior to this issue (e.g. Windows updates)?

We're looking forward to your reply.

Riel Alc, Feb 6, 2019
  4. Desktop exceeds size of monitor on three different monitors

Trouble with 2 monitors

Hi Tim,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to change the settings to Extended Monitor and check if it helps.

Please follow below steps:

• Right Click any ware of the Desktop, and launch Personalization.
    • Go to dual monitor settings under personalization, and change it Extended Monitor.
    Please get back to us for future support, we’ll be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Prabhavathi Patil, Feb 6, 2019
Thema:

Desktop exceeds size of monitor on three different monitors

1. Desktop exceeds size of monitor on three different monitors - Similar Threads - Desktop exceeds size

2. Windows thinks same size monitors are different?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows thinks same size monitors are different?: So I just got a 1440p monitor to compliment the 4k monitor I got when I built my PC. They both are 27” but obviously are different resolutions. When I go to arrange my screens, the 1440p monitor shows as smaller than the 4k monitor, despite them being the same size. Any idea...
  3. Three Monitor Setup

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Three Monitor Setup: Unable to setup three screen setup I'm following the precise steps given withinside the manual the usage of an VGA and HDMI. Tried maximum of the mixture feasible nevertheless no result....
  4. Three Monitor/Display Issue

Three Monitor/Display Issue: I hooked up a 3rd monitor and would like the arrangement to be #3 up top, #1 bottom left, and #2 bottom right. When I arrange the monitors in this layout under display options then click “apply” the arrangement reverts back to #1, #3, and #2 from left to right all on the same...
  5. Three monitor setup

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Three monitor setup: I'm trying to set up 2 additional monitors connected to my HP pavilion. I have one connected directly through an HDMI cord and the HDMI port. My second additional monitor is connected through a usb type c -> HDMI adapter. The screen that is set up through the adapter is not...
  6. Desktop Background different on dual monitors

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop Background different on dual monitors: Windows 10 Pro. Two monitors: Monitor 1 is 3840 X 2160. Monitor 2 set to Main Display is 1920 X 1080. The Desktop Background is set to "Slideshow" and "Fit" The Desktop Background is different for the two monitors though they change at the same time. If I set the background...
  7. Different desktop background slideshow for each monitor?

Different desktop background slideshow for each monitor?: I'm looking for a way to have a different desktop background slideshow for each monitor. Each of my monitors has a different aspect ratio (one is 4x3, one is 16x9) and I want each picture to fit nicely. I have two folders of photos with the right aspect ratio for each...
  8. Multi-monitor set up with different sizes and resolutions?

Multi-monitor set up with different sizes and resolutions?: Hi, Running W10 1709 64-bit, and a multi-monitor setup as pictured in screenshot from display manager: 2x27" 2560x1440 (Monitors "3" and "4") 1x22" 1680x1050 (Monitor "2") and built-in laptop display: 15.6" 1920x1080 (Monitor "1") My problem is that my monitor...
  9. display size on monitor

display size on monitor: I cannot get my display to fill up the monitor https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/display-size-on-monitor/b6db0b92-5c81-48fd-9eb4-4d0d49381271
  10. Three Monitor Problems

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Three Monitor Problems: I just downloaded and installed Windows 10. Relatively problem free. I have (3) 24" monitors that I have been using with 2 video cards until today on Windows 7, Only the center and left monitor are working now. The right monitor has an orange power on light as if it is not...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 screen exceeds monitor

2. windows 10 desktop exceeds monitor size

3. screen exceeds monitor