Windows 10: Desktop exceeds size of monitor on three different monitors

Discus and support Desktop exceeds size of monitor on three different monitors in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have seen prior posts about this but none are exactly my problem and none of the suggestions fixed it. Turned on my laptop one day and the desktop... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by D RW, Feb 6, 2019.

1. D RW Win User

Desktop exceeds size of monitor on three different monitors

I have seen prior posts about this but none are exactly my problem and none of the suggestions fixed it.

Turned on my laptop one day and the desktop is larger than the monitor. If I move my cursor to an edge of the monitor, the display moves over - so I can see the entire desktop if I use my mouse to "move" it around. However, when I have my two external monitors hooked up the situation is more complex. Now I can see 1/3 of desktop 1 on monitor 2 and 2/3 of desktop 2 on monitor 3. Again, I can "move" these views around by moving my mouse to any edge of a desktop. This is a hassle, though - I just want to go back to having the desktop fit the monitor!

I am running Windows 10 and have tried:

1. Changing screen resolution - If I change it to the lowest possible resolution, the desktop almost fits the screen - but resolution is sacrificed big time.

2. Changing size of text, etc.

3. Uninstalling and installing Intel Graphics card

Any other ideas?

Debbie

:)

D RW, Feb 6, 2019

2. Desktop Size exceeds Monitor Display Size

Trying to use Windows 10, but the desktop size exceeds the size of the monitor deisplay.

I can't see the tool bars, including the on that would let me select minimum, maximum, quit, move, etc.

I've tried updating the driver, with no success.

It's a Samsung 32 inch monitor and worked fine in windows XP.

SpudMalone, Feb 6, 2019
  3. Riel Alc Win User
    Desktop Size exceeds Monitor Display Size

Hi Spud,

For us to better assist you with your monitor display size issue, we'd like to know the following:

• Which build and version of Windows are you running on your computer?
    To check, press Windows key + R > type winver
    > hit Enter.

• Is this the first time you've tried connecting your monitor to the Windows 10 computer?
    • If no, were there any changes made to your computer prior to this issue (e.g. Windows updates)?

We're looking forward to your reply.

Riel Alc, Feb 6, 2019
  4. Desktop exceeds size of monitor on three different monitors

Trouble with 2 monitors

Hi Tim,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to change the settings to Extended Monitor and check if it helps.

Please follow below steps:

• Right Click any ware of the Desktop, and launch Personalization.
    • Go to dual monitor settings under personalization, and change it Extended Monitor.
    Please get back to us for future support, we’ll be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Prabhavathi Patil, Feb 6, 2019
Thema:

Desktop exceeds size of monitor on three different monitors

1. Desktop exceeds size of monitor on three different monitors - Similar Threads - Desktop exceeds size

2. Solution to Monitors showing different sizes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Solution to Monitors showing different sizes: So this is actually a reply to jbootzin's question from 2018, which you can read here.The actual solution to this instead of the moderator's response is that you have to have the monitor with the highest DPI or resolution set to the maximum comfortable resolution of the...
  3. Solution to Monitors showing different sizes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Solution to Monitors showing different sizes: So this is actually a reply to jbootzin's question from 2018, which you can read here.The actual solution to this instead of the moderator's response is that you have to have the monitor with the highest DPI or resolution set to the maximum comfortable resolution of the...
  4. Solution to Monitors showing different sizes

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Dual Monitors Different "Sizes"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dual Monitors Different "Sizes": I have two 27" monitors that are are of the same physical size but of different resolutions - 1080p and 1440p. These are being run through an RTX3060Ti so max resolution supported is 7680x4320, way above what I am displaying.When I open display and set them to their native...
  6. Dual Monitors Different "Sizes"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dual Monitors Different "Sizes": I have two 27" monitors that are are of the same physical size but of different resolutions - 1080p and 1440p. These are being run through an RTX3060Ti so max resolution supported is 7680x4320, way above what I am displaying.When I open display and set them to their native...
  7. Dual Monitors Different "Sizes"

8. Diffent sized monitors and the different sizes of the screens

Diffent sized monitors and the different sizes of the screens: I have a 3440x1440 and 1920x1080 dual monitor setup and as shown in the picture have a big size difference of what's displayed on the screens, I have tried changing the magnification but it didn't make a difference. Any help would be appreciated :...
  9. Three monitors

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Three monitors: I am trying to connect two external "monitors" an old Vizio TV and an old Dell monitor to my laptop Windows 10 for a total of three monitors. The TV is connected to the laptop's HDMI port via an HDMI cable and the monitor is connected to the laptop's USB port via a VGA cable...
  10. Monitor Scaling/dual monitors, different size, same resolution

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Monitor Scaling/dual monitors, different size, same resolution: So I have a dual monitor setup, my second monitor is 27in, and my main monitor is 24in, when using backgrounds like shown here, I cannot get my background to line up correctly, if I still want my mouse to move across the monitors smoothly, it seems like windows sees both...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 screen exceeds monitor

2. windows 10 desktop exceeds monitor size

3. screen exceeds monitor