Windows 10: Desktop extremely laggy when copying files on workstation-grade PC

Discus and support Desktop extremely laggy when copying files on workstation-grade PC in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi there, I'm on a very powerful machine with Win 10 Pro Ryzen 7 1800x 32GB DDR4 2666Mhz RTX 2080 (Main Display UHD) + GTX 1080 (Second Display HD)... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by irgendwer, Jun 2, 2019.

1. irgendwer Win User

Desktop extremely laggy when copying files on workstation-grade PC

Hi there,

I'm on a very powerful machine with Win 10 Pro
    • Ryzen 7 1800x
    • 32GB DDR4 2666Mhz
    • RTX 2080 (Main Display UHD) + GTX 1080 (Second Display HD)
    • C:\ 1TB Sandisk Ultra SSD (>30% free)
    • D:\-G:\ HDDs
    • Pro Audio Soundcard (RME) and lots of USB 3 - attached hardware (Synthesizers, MIDI Controllers etc.)
    • All my software officially licenced and up-to-date
    • All drivers up-to-date
    • Regularly cleaning trash can, registry and temporary files

PC is closely monitored, very well maintained hardware-, software-, OS- and temp-wise speaking. I'm doing fotography, audio and video production.

When I copy lots of files my Desktop is close to frozen. E.g. I copy 100 GB of fotos from my USB3.0 cardreader to my foto-HDD every click on the desktop or file explorer takes up to 30 seconds for Windows or Applications to react. This feels very weird to me, cause I can basically have a 2h video rendering in the background and still can play a 4k game.

Another symptom is that especially audio foto applications underperform extremly bad - screen redrawing and zooming is superslow, same goes for applying e.g. a Gaussian Blur filter layer. Various vendor's applications like Adobe or Ableton. At the same time video apps doen't suffer from this symptom even though they got higher demand regarding their tasks.

All help highly appreciated.

:)

irgendwer, Jun 2, 2019
  2. temp02 Win User

Java.nio.file - Copying files

You can't copy a folder, thats why it generates an exception (you are trying to copy a folder using a copy file function).
    You probably need to list all the files inside that folder and copy one by one

temp02, Jun 2, 2019
  3. MohanC Win User
    windows 10 deleted my desktop files

Step 1 - I upgraded to Win 10 and lost all my files on Desktop.

Step 2 - Found the files in Network - USers- Desktop

copied all files again to desktop.

Step 3- Restarted my machine again and lost desktop files again.

Step 4 - As suggested did the following as listed below but dont find my files.

• Press “Windows + E”, open This PC/Computer
    • Open Local Disc C, open Windows.old
    • Click on Users, select your User name
    • Go to desktop folder
    Cant find my files. Why is Win 10 deleted files again and again from Desktop ?.

MohanC, Jun 2, 2019
  4. Wozzer Win User

Java.nio.file - Copying files

Issue was the above, so thanks temp02.

Wozzer, Jun 2, 2019
Thema:

1. Desktop extremely laggy when copying files on workstation-grade PC - Similar Threads - Desktop extremely laggy

2. Minecraft Bedrock Edition Is Extremely Laggy

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Minecraft Bedrock Edition Is Extremely Laggy: Hello everyone, I have this problem where Minecraft Bedrock Edition all of a sudden started lagging a lot regarding frames. This is very weird because I played this edition for so long before and it was absolutely fluid. I've done some digging and I noticed that as soon as I...
  3. Minecraft Bedrock Edition Is Extremely Laggy

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Minecraft Bedrock Edition Is Extremely Laggy: Hello everyone, I have this problem where Minecraft Bedrock Edition all of a sudden started lagging a lot regarding frames. This is very weird because I played this edition for so long before and it was absolutely fluid. I've done some digging and I noticed that as soon as I...
  4. Laptop gets extremely laggy randomly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop gets extremely laggy randomly: Hi,My laptop which is running windows 10 will randomly get extremely laggy and will only go away after about 30 seconds of waiting or by unplugging and replugging in the power cord. This tends to happen when I'm gaming, but has happened with all kinds of apps. When I'm gaming...
  5. Windows 11 is extremely laggy

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 is extremely laggy: I've been using windows 10 since 2017. My pc used to run quite fast then but suddenly windows 10 became slow and laggy over time. I tried hard reset 2 times but still the slow speed would return in a week after resetting it. Then I tried installing windows 11 on my pc and...
  6. Windows 11 is extremely laggy

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 is extremely laggy: I've been using windows 10 since 2017. My pc used to run quite fast then but suddenly windows 10 became slow and laggy over time. I tried hard reset 2 times but still the slow speed would return in a week after resetting it. Then I tried installing windows 11 on my pc and...
  7. Desktop laggy

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Desktop laggy: Hello, I upgraded my PC a few days ago. New motherboard, CPU, GPU, RAM ... actually you can say everything. What I did not do was reinstalling Windows. The problem is, I don't know if this problem started to occur before the change, so I have hope it's not related to not...
  8. Games & Windows Extremely Laggy/Not Working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Games & Windows Extremely Laggy/Not Working: So pretty much here's the story I took down my PC in mid October 2019 to focus on school, sports, and other ****. Since Corona has taken over the world and my boredom, I decided to put it back up. First, I opened everything up and cleaned out most of the dust, then...
  9. Windows 10 PC extremely laggy out of nowhere.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 PC extremely laggy out of nowhere.: This came out of nowhere. My PC is operating at a constant lag. I close a window, and a couple seconds later the window actually closes, Making it impossible to do almost anything. I tried factory resetting and that did nothing. What gives? Anyone have ANY idea what...
  10. Extremely Laggy Login, Desktop Environment Loading

in Windows 10 Support
    Extremely Laggy Login, Desktop Environment Loading: Less than a month ago, I purchased a new HP Spectre x360 laptop, which was functioning just fine until very recently. A few days ago the device arbitrarily started taking extremely long times to get off the login screen(about thirty to forty seconds, compared to the usual one...