Windows 10: Desktop failing to sleep

Discus and support Desktop failing to sleep in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Windows 10 Pro, v20H2, build 19042.804 This has been an ongoing problem where my recently installed Win10 & fully updated Win10 desktop fails to go... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Gus4004, Feb 17, 2021.

1. Gus4004 Win User

Desktop failing to sleep

Windows 10 Pro, v20H2, build 19042.804

This has been an ongoing problem where my recently installed Win10 & fully updated Win10 desktop fails to go into sleep mode unless I force it manually. Have had a history of problems with Windows 10 going back years on different computers doing this. Have checked the settings in Control Panel incl advanced power settings. As I said there is history here so I know what I'm doing.

When I run the command below MoUsoCoreWorker.exe is the culprit. I have previously disabled the Update Orchestrator UOS Service as this is the service of the MoUSO Core Worker Process. This solution worked until Win10 ran an update a few days ago and now everything has been reset including obviously this service.

Disabling the Update Orchestrator UOS Service is not a long term solution and obviously Microsoft seems to be unable to get Win10 sleep to work reliably. Does anyone have any fixes? Or is this an area of Win10 that's broken?

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.19042.804]

c 2020 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>powercfg -requests

DISPLAY:

None.

SYSTEM:

None.

AWAYMODE:

None.

EXECUTION:

[PROCESS] \Device\HarddiskVolume1\Windows\System32\MoUsoCoreWorker.exe

USO Worker

PERFBOOST:

None.

ACTIVELOCKSCREEN:

None.

C:\Windows\system32>

:)

Gus4004, Feb 17, 2021
  2. Rose Cal Win User

after putting my desktop to sleep the mouse and keyboard are no longer active

Hi Cal,

Outdated drivers may be one of the possible causes why your mouse and keyboard is not working after putting your desktop from sleep. To assist you better, we'd like to gather more information:

• Have you made any recent changes prior to this issue?
    • Have you tried updating your drivers?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

In the meantime, we suggest that you check for the latest update for the drivers.

Keep us posted if you need additional help.

Rose Cal, Feb 17, 2021
  3. RRP17 Win User
    All desktop windows are move/push-over to Main display after waking-up from sleep mode

I'm happy to find these as work-around, very helpful at least to my systems scenario.

All my desktop windows retained the exact location in both built-in and external monitor, before and after Sleep mode.

Step 1. Press the below keys before the computer turn to sleep mode

(typically, this is prior to leaving my computer for a break)

• Windows logo key + M

Step 2. Press the below keys after signing back or activating from sleep mode

• Windows logo key + Shift + M

RRP17, Feb 17, 2021
  4. Desktop failing to sleep

open the desktop from sleep mode

Hi Abhishek,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft community.

To understand the issue better, I suggest you to answer the below questions.

• How are trying to start the computer from the sleep mode?
    • Since from when are you facing this issue?
    • Did you make any changes prior to the issue?
    • Are you able to shut down or restart the machine?
    • What happens when you try to come out of Sleep mode?
    I would suggest you to force shutdown the computer and start the computer and check what happens.

If you are able to login to normal mode then follow the below steps to restore the power setting/plan to default.

• Press Windows + X keys, and select the option
      Control Panel.
    • Click on the Power Options icon.
    • Click on Change plan settings.
    • Select the option “Restore default settings for this plan”.
    Please post us back with more information and if the issues resolves to help you better.

Sachin Venkatesh, Feb 17, 2021
Thema:

Desktop failing to sleep

1. Desktop failing to sleep - Similar Threads - Desktop failing sleep

2. Desktop failing to sleep

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Desktop failing to sleep: Windows 10 Pro, v20H2, build 19042.804 Well I'm back here again. This has been an ongoing problem where my recently installed Win10 & fully updated Win10 desktop fails to go into sleep mode unless I force it manually. Have had a history of problems with Windows 10 going back...
  3. Desktop failing to sleep

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop failing to sleep: Windows 10 Pro, v20H2, build 19042.804 Well I'm back here again. This has been an ongoing problem where my recently installed Win10 & fully updated Win10 desktop fails to go into sleep mode unless I force it manually. Have had a history of problems with Windows 10 going back...
  4. Computer fails to sleep

Computer fails to sleep: Windows 10 Home 64 bit Version 10.0.19042 Build 19042 Last update Version 20H2 When is Microsoft going to fix problem with - Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\MoUsoCoreWorker.exe USO Worker - interfering with sleep function? When this appears in powercfg...
  5. After "Sleep" fails to log in

After "Sleep" fails to log in: Have set my Win 10 system to go to sleep after 1 hour of inactivity. But on occasions after this time I am not able to log back in. Have to turn off machine 7 start again. is this a known problem? How can I cure it?...
  6. SLEEP ON DESKTOP

SLEEP ON DESKTOP: Can anyone help me with a sleep mode problem on my desktop computer, please. Following a recent update from Microsoft, my current state is not restored when wakening from Sleep mode. Instead it tediously presents the Sign In page, then fails to return to most of my previously...
  7. Remote desktop and sleep.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Remote desktop and sleep.: Finally, after an upgrade to 1903, my laptop knows how to go to sleep on its own! The effect this could have on worldwide carbon emissions could be phenomenal given the number of Windows machines in the world. However, at work, I use my laptop from my desktop via Remote...
  8. Sleep mode failing

in Windows 10 Support
    Sleep mode failing: Hi windows ten Version 1809 I can put my system in sleep mode, but when back from sleep mode and little later want sleep mode again , it fails to work. Please advise 128390
  9. Fail to wake from sleep

Fail to wake from sleep: Win10 Pro 10.0.13134 Build 17134 Since the various Dec updates, on random occassions win does not resume from sleep by moving the mouse, or any key, have to hard re-boot (by random I mean about 5% of the time) HW drivers are up to date from makers site (motherboard) Last...
  10. Desktop will not Sleep AGAIN!!!!

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop will not Sleep AGAIN!!!!: This isn't the first time that I have had issues with this computer not wanting to go to sleep. It did it with Windows 8.1, it did in Windows 10 when I first upgraded it. Now, it's doing it again in Windows 10. We just changed out modems because we upgraded to a higher speed...