Windows 10: Desktop file relocation results only in copy

Discus and support Desktop file relocation results only in copy in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; After the new update for WIndows 10, I'm encountering numerous problems. One is this: On the desktop, if I want to move a file icon from one spot to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ThermicBug9805, Aug 21, 2019.

1. Desktop file relocation results only in copy

After the new update for WIndows 10, I'm encountering numerous problems. One is this:

On the desktop, if I want to move a file icon from one spot to another, which is done by left click/hold on icon and drag to new location, instead of moving the file, it leaves the file in that location but puts a copy of the file in the new location. I don't know how to fix this so any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

- Jennifer

:)

ThermicBug9805, Aug 21, 2019
  2. temp02 Win User

Java.nio.file - Copying files

You can't copy a folder, thats why it generates an exception (you are trying to copy a folder using a copy file function).
    You probably need to list all the files inside that folder and copy one by one

temp02, Aug 21, 2019
  3. Wozzer Win User
    Java.nio.file - Copying files

Issue was the above, so thanks temp02.

Wozzer, Aug 21, 2019
  4. MohanC Win User

Desktop file relocation results only in copy

windows 10 deleted my desktop files

Step 1 - I upgraded to Win 10 and lost all my files on Desktop.

Step 2 - Found the files in Network - USers- Desktop

copied all files again to desktop.

Step 3- Restarted my machine again and lost desktop files again.

Step 4 - As suggested did the following as listed below but dont find my files.

• Press “Windows + E”, open This PC/Computer
    • Open Local Disc C, open Windows.old
    • Click on Users, select your User name
    • Go to desktop folder
    Cant find my files. Why is Win 10 deleted files again and again from Desktop ?.

MohanC, Aug 21, 2019
Thema:

Desktop file relocation results only in copy

1. Desktop file relocation results only in copy - Similar Threads - Desktop file relocation

2. Remove/relocate folders from desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Remove/relocate folders from desktop: Suddenly after a recent Win 10 update the folloing folders have appeared on the desktop. How do I remove them from the desktop? They are not shortcuts but the actual folders.What are they for and how can I remove them safely?Textures - Shapes -Gradients - Patterns - Brushes -...
  3. Remove/relocate folders from desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
    Remove/relocate folders from desktop: Suddenly after a recent Win 10 update the folloing folders have appeared on the desktop. How do I remove them from the desktop? They are not shortcuts but the actual folders.What are they for and how can I remove them safely?Textures - Shapes -Gradients - Patterns - Brushes -...
  4. desktop files are being relocated after rename

in Windows 10 Gaming
    desktop files are being relocated after rename: Hi, my desktop files are being relocated after each rename - they are moved to the upper left corner of the screen..."auto arrange icons" and "sort by" are not turned ononly files like .mp4 .mkv .pdf .docx are moved ... but folders and shortcuts are not movedI do not use...
  5. desktop files are being relocated after rename

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    desktop files are being relocated after rename: Hi, my desktop files are being relocated after each rename - they are moved to the upper left corner of the screen..."auto arrange icons" and "sort by" are not turned ononly files like .mp4 .mkv .pdf .docx are moved ... but folders and shortcuts are not movedI do not use...
  6. Auto-Relocating Batch File

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Auto-Relocating Batch File: How would I make a batch file relocate itself to a different folder when it is opened? submitted by /u/FunnyGuy9796 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ly2ecj/autorelocating_batch_file/
  7. Relocating User Desktop Folder Problem

in Windows 10 Support
    Relocating User Desktop Folder Problem: I need help correcting a problem I created with the relocation of my user Desktop folder. I am new to Windows 10, and I have limited experience with Windows7. System: Lenovo M725s Windows 10 Pro, 1909 Build 18363.815 AMD Ryzen 5 Pro CPU 8 GB memory C: SSD, D: hard file I...
  8. windows 10 upgrades result in copy of user files

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows 10 upgrades result in copy of user files: Every time a Windows 10 upgrade is installed it takes my system hours to come back up because it is making a copy of every file under my user profile into a new user folder named username.v6 where username is the (admin) user account name and the number after the v increments...
  9. Desktop Icons keep relocating?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop Icons keep relocating?: I'm running Windows 10 but have never understood why the Desktop Icons can randomly rearrange themselves on their own... I'm not looking to locking down the icons where I can't move them at all though. Is it possible to keep them from relocating unless I manually move them...
  10. Copy and paste in Windows 10 file explorer resulting in corrupt copies

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Copy and paste in Windows 10 file explorer resulting in corrupt copies: Hello, I encountered a very serious issue with trying to copy and paste files to a backup hard drive in Windows file explorer by using Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V. Usually I determine whether my backups are complete and in agreement with each other by doing a casual comparison of...