Windows 10: Desktop files and folders deleted after windows updated

Discus and support Desktop files and folders deleted after windows updated in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi After the most recent windows update, my desktop was completely different and all the files and folders that had previously been on it are nowhere... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by PeterCarides, Jun 8, 2019.

1. Desktop files and folders deleted after windows updated

Hi

After the most recent windows update, my desktop was completely different and all the files and folders that had previously been on it are nowhere to be found on the computer. Folders still appear in recently accessed, but it shows an error message if I try open them. The users/user/desktop folder also lacks these files. These folders are very important to me as they contain a lot of very recent work that isn't backed up yet including original data that will be almost impossible to reproduce.

I'm trying data recovery programs in the mean time but I'm not optimistic as this doesn't even appear in the recycle bin.

Does anyone know why the update caused this and how I could possibly recover the files and folders?

:)

PeterCarides, Jun 8, 2019
  2. Anusha Win User

C windows installer folder - Delete?

He can do symbolic link redirection and move the files in it to a different location. *Wink Desktop files and folders deleted after windows updated ;)
    Better try it out in a virtual of first. Just a suggestion.

Like:
    First move everything in c:\windows\installer to d:\installercache
    Then delete c:\windows\installer folder
    Then type this in command mode as admin
    mklink /d c:\windows\installer d:\installercache

Removing those installer files is a bad idea. it might prevent you from updating or uninstalling apps.

Anusha, Jun 8, 2019
  3. MohanC Win User
    windows 10 deleted my desktop files

Step 1 - I upgraded to Win 10 and lost all my files on Desktop.

Step 2 - Found the files in Network - USers- Desktop

copied all files again to desktop.

Step 3- Restarted my machine again and lost desktop files again.

Step 4 - As suggested did the following as listed below but dont find my files.

• Press “Windows + E”, open This PC/Computer
    • Open Local Disc C, open Windows.old
    • Click on Users, select your User name
    • Go to desktop folder
    Cant find my files. Why is Win 10 deleted files again and again from Desktop ?.

MohanC, Jun 8, 2019
  4. Desktop files and folders deleted after windows updated

Trouble deleting a folder

Thanks for the suggestion but it says "delete folder failed for E:\....." for each folder I try.

*Confused Desktop files and folders deleted after windows updated :confused:

Will I be forever stuck with these unnecessary folders? *Oh Well Desktop files and folders deleted after windows updated :eek:hwell:

oli_ramsay, Jun 8, 2019
Thema:

Desktop files and folders deleted after windows updated

1. Desktop files and folders deleted after windows updated - Similar Threads - Desktop files folders

2. Accidental deletion of "Desktop" folder in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Accidental deletion of "Desktop" folder in File Explorer: Hi all,I have seen a couple of threads on the same issue, but I opted to reach out.As a forenote, I have attempted a system recovery, but this has failed due to a 0x80070005 error, if I recall correctly.I was cleaning and deleting old files through File Explorer and...
  3. Accidental deletion of "Desktop" folder in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Accidental deletion of "Desktop" folder in File Explorer: Hi all,I have seen a couple of threads on the same issue, but I opted to reach out.As a forenote, I have attempted a system recovery, but this has failed due to a 0x80070005 error, if I recall correctly.I was cleaning and deleting old files through File Explorer and...
  4. Accidental deletion of "Desktop" folder in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Accedintal deletion of "Desktop" folder in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Accedintal deletion of "Desktop" folder in File Explorer: Hi all,I have seen a couple of threads on the same issue, but I opted to reach out.As a forenote, I have attempted a system recovery, but this has failed due to a 0x80070005 error, if I recall correctly.I was cleaning and deleting old files through File Explorer and...
  6. Accedintal deletion of "Desktop" folder in File Explorer

Accedintal deletion of "Desktop" folder in File Explorer: Hi all,I have seen a couple of threads on the same issue, but I opted to reach out.As a forenote, I have attempted a system recovery, but this has failed due to a 0x80070005 error, if I recall correctly.I was cleaning and deleting old files through File Explorer and...
  7. Accedintal deletion of "Desktop" folder in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  8. Windows update deleted desktop folder

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows update deleted desktop folder: Today I updated Windows. I took a while as usual and I finally got back to the desktop. I noticed that the user directory (and some other stuff) has been moved to C:\windows.old. The Desktop was nearly empty. I moved everything from C:\windows.old\users\%username%\desktop to...
  9. Windows deletes folders that were on my desktop after an update

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows deletes folders that were on my desktop after an update: Hello everyone, hope you are having a good day. So on thursday evening I finished my regular shenanigans on my pc and went to bed. When I went to turn the pc it had the "Update and shut down" option because an update was available. Didn't really think anything of it, just...
  10. Desktop Folder not updating with File folder

Desktop Folder not updating with File folder: Hi, For ease of access I copied one of My Documents folders to desktop. Now, if I add files to this folder, I have to add it to both, the folder on the desktop and the folder in My Documents (not doing this, one of the folders is missing the added file). Is there any way to...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows update deleted desktop folders