Windows 10: Desktop files are gone

Discus and support Desktop files are gone in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Ok, so I really need help with this one, massively. My computer updated to the newer version of Windows 10 without me asking. I noticed all my folders... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by jakewebb1, Jun 19, 2020.

1. jakewebb1 Win User

Desktop files are gone

Ok, so I really need help with this one, massively. My computer updated to the newer version of Windows 10 without me asking. I noticed all my folders were gone from the desktop. I managed to find them in my desktop folder, which had my old desktop items but not my new ones, and moved them to my new desktop, but realised that my apps were having major issues, so I pressed start and did a reset. After it turned back on, it reverted to my previous desktop and it had most of my original files. But i realised that the files I had moved onto the updated desktop are now gone and there are no previous versions to get. lost 3 months worth of stuff, because it updated without me asking and then reverted for no reason. Update has broken my folders and I lost a lot.

If anyone knows how to get desktop files from a newer version back to the older desktop, let me know, cause I don't want to install everything again, because the computer decides when it wants to listen or not.

Short Version: Updated to new windows 10 version. New desktop. Moved files from old desktop to new desktop. Turned computer off, came back hour later. Turned it on and it was my old desktop. my files that I moved to the new desktop were gone. Can't access the new desktop. Moved files are still pinned but are gone

:)

jakewebb1, Jun 19, 2020
  2. MohanC Win User

windows 10 deleted my desktop files

Step 1 - I upgraded to Win 10 and lost all my files on Desktop.

Step 2 - Found the files in Network - USers- Desktop

copied all files again to desktop.

Step 3- Restarted my machine again and lost desktop files again.

Step 4 - As suggested did the following as listed below but dont find my files.

• Press “Windows + E”, open This PC/Computer
    • Open Local Disc C, open Windows.old
    • Click on Users, select your User name
    • Go to desktop folder
    Cant find my files. Why is Win 10 deleted files again and again from Desktop ?.

MohanC, Jun 19, 2020
  3. Why did the startup window get cleared?

I didn't missed any step, the list was gone and gone , even after using lot of programs the programs were not listed in that list.

smartali89, Jun 19, 2020
  4. Arun B J Win User

Desktop files are gone

Desktop is gone

Hi,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

We understand how you feel about the situation. We're sorry for the trouble.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check, if it helps:

Method 1

Step: 1 Open the Task manager. Here’s a tip:
    Press CTRL+Shift+ESC.

Step: 2 Click File > Run New Task

Step: 3 Make sure you have a check mark beside “Create this task with administrative privileges”

Step: 4 Type PowerShell

Step: 5 Type the following in the PowerShell prompt:

$manifest = (Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.WindowsStore).InstallLocation + '\AppxManifest.xml' ; Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $manifest

Step: 6 Close the PowerShell window

Step: 7 Reboot

Method 2:

I would also suggest you to run the System update readiness command. It detects incorrect manifests, cabinets or registry data, it may replace the incorrect data with corrected version available. Follow the steps.

• Press Windows key + X.
    • Click command prompt (Run as administrator).
    • In the Administrator: Command Prompt window, type the following commands. Press
      Enter key after each command:
    DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

To close the Administrator: Command prompt window, type
    Exit, and then press Enter.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help

Arun B J, Jun 19, 2020
Thema:

Desktop files are gone

1. Desktop files are gone - Similar Threads - Desktop files are

2. all my files on desktop are gone

in Windows 10 Gaming
    all my files on desktop are gone: hello , i logged into my iCloud this morning and after i was done all files on my desktop are gone and got logged out of my accounts . i tried restarting and everything but it didnt do anything . my one drive dose not work and it says the location got changed or got deleted ....
  3. all my files on desktop are gone

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    all my files on desktop are gone: hello , i logged into my iCloud this morning and after i was done all files on my desktop are gone and got logged out of my accounts . i tried restarting and everything but it didnt do anything . my one drive dose not work and it says the location got changed or got deleted ....
  4. Files on Desktop and Pictures gone!

in Windows 10 Customization
    Files on Desktop and Pictures gone!: I lost All my pictures downloaded from my iPhone that I have been keeping in the 'Picture' folder. ALL my setup on my desktop are gone. This happening after the update, NOT upgrade. I don't backup on Cloud thought my computer is safe enough to save all my pictures. I...
  5. All My Files on desktop are gone

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    All My Files on desktop are gone: I Dont know what happen .i just turn on my laptop then i check my files ,my apps,my photo ,my project in desktop missing https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/all-my-files-on-desktop-are-gone/9d0b4556-4924-47f4-a400-511730cbfb0d
  6. Files gone missing from Desktop???

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Files gone missing from Desktop???: I have a folder structure sitting in my desktop directory that contains about 40 sub directories, one for each of my past clients. Within each of these sub-directories there are other sub-directories. A few days ago I went into one of these sub-directories and found that...
  7. Deleted files on the desktop gone?

Deleted files on the desktop gone?: Hi, I need your help. I did a file folder on the desktop a long time ago, which I accidentally deleted then, through the recycle bin which I also emptied. But I didn't know that I saved it on the desktop and not a folder on the hard disk. What can I do? Is very important...
  8. Desktop files gone with OneDrive

Desktop files gone with OneDrive: One day I was scrolling through YouTube and stumbled upon a Windows 10 opt. video and decided to follow the steps. The video showed a program that debloats Windows 10 and it had an option to remove OneDrive so I clicked on it, because I didn't know it was linked with any of...
  9. Desktop and File Explorer icons gone

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop and File Explorer icons gone: Hello! I have readed some other posts about people who had the same problem as me, but none of those solutions worked for me. Basically today I booted up my computer and all of my icons are randomly gone, in File Explorer and on the desktop. I cannot go to...
  10. Desktop file 'gone'

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop file 'gone': After the latest updates (2 days ago) I got the message that backing up & synchronizing in Edge is no longer possible because the map Desktop cannot be traced, and would I be so kind to "Search or Stop synchronizing." A Search only results in "Desktop - This map is empty"....