Windows 10: Desktop files missing.... But they're not?

Discus and support Desktop files missing.... But they're not? in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; [IMG] I press OK, and then attempt to sign up in the same account, again - this time the error doesn't appear again, oddly, but it's replaced by this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by A Steel Cup, Jul 13, 2018.

1. Desktop files missing.... But they're not?

Desktop files missing.... But they're not? [​IMG]

I press OK, and then attempt to sign up in the same account, again - this time the error doesn't appear again, oddly, but it's replaced by this - https://youtu.be/xlT4YkhfUjs

No desktop icons except the Recycle Bin, the fonts are odd and the mouse cursor is that of Windows XP's and earlier. All the desktop items themselves are still there, they're not deleted - but the OS doesn't detect them - probably something missing in system32 according to this system error. I didn't do anything odd on my pc the night before, I haven't installed anything for months now and I've made multiple pc scans with Malwarebytes, Kaspersky and Emsisoft these months, so it's certainly not a virus. I remember that I left in a haste and simply shut down the pc without looking at whether it wants to make an update or not (I left before the "shutting down" screen appearrd, so the possibility of an update screwing something up is still there although I'm not certain.

But.. How do I fix this? There's nothing actually missing, so there's got to be something I can do to make the desktop appear again... And hopefully get the normal font and mouse cursor back.

:)

A Steel Cup, Jul 13, 2018

2. Windows 10 missing desktop files

Hi Adriane,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I can imagine the inconvenience you have experienced. I will definitely help you with this.

• Did you do a clean installation of Windows or upgrade to Windows 10?
    I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if you can find your desktop files.

• Open This PC.
    • Double click on C: drive.
    • Open Users > double click on your user name.
    • Open Desktop and check if you can find missing files.
    Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

ThofikhAhamad, Jul 13, 2018
  3. MohanC Win User
    windows 10 deleted my desktop files

Step 1 - I upgraded to Win 10 and lost all my files on Desktop.

Step 2 - Found the files in Network - USers- Desktop

copied all files again to desktop.

Step 3- Restarted my machine again and lost desktop files again.

Step 4 - As suggested did the following as listed below but dont find my files.

• Press “Windows + E”, open This PC/Computer
    • Open Local Disc C, open Windows.old
    • Click on Users, select your User name
    • Go to desktop folder
    Cant find my files. Why is Win 10 deleted files again and again from Desktop ?.

MohanC, Jul 13, 2018
  4. sturpe Win User

Desktop files missing.... But they're not?

Cannot find Desktop Icon in File Explorer

Now that is interesting. If I do what you suggest, File Explorer Address bar changes to C:\Users\username\documents and the missing ICONS are there. But there is still not a "Desktop" folder.

Is this a step in the right direction?

sturpe, Jul 13, 2018
Thema:

Desktop files missing.... But they're not?

1. Desktop files missing.... But they're not? - Similar Threads - Desktop files missing

2. Desktop files are missing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Desktop files are missing: I have an asus laptop that runs on windows 10, i turned on my laptop today and all my desktop files are gone. Granted I have dropbox and they were saved there. But why are they all missing from my desktop?...
  3. Files missing from my desktop

Files missing from my desktop: Hello, When I try to upload pictures from my desktop to Facebook page files do not appear. If I go into my desktop outside of FB the files are there! Why won't they show up when I am trying to upload from FB page?...
  4. "change how they're organized" missing from photo app

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "change how they're organized" missing from photo app: I've recently tried to import photos and the "change how they're organized" option is missing from the photos app. I can no longer import photos organized by the day or month. Any help appreciated....
  5. My desktop files went missing

My desktop files went missing: Okay. So I logged in today and my desktop was like a brand new desktop. All the wallpapers were gone. And same goes with my folders. I lost some files. Then I went here and saw this help link....
  6. Files gone missing from Desktop???

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Files gone missing from Desktop???: I have a folder structure sitting in my desktop directory that contains about 40 sub directories, one for each of my past clients. Within each of these sub-directories there are other sub-directories. A few days ago I went into one of these sub-directories and found that...
  7. Folder/Files suddenly missing in Desktop

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Folder/Files suddenly missing in Desktop: Hi, I'm not sure if this is the right sub to call for help regarding my problem. I have this folder on my desktop which I put all my work files but suddenly it's gone. I'm going to give as much as possible information because I really need those files for my work. Last time...
  8. I thought I was writing files to a CD. But they're in a file...

I thought I was writing files to a CD. But they're in a file...: I thought I was writing files to a CD. But they're in a file C:\users\myname\appdata\local\microsoft\windows\burn\burn. How do I actually write them to the CD?...
  9. Missing Desktop file Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Missing Desktop file Windows 10: I believe that my laptop recently performed a routine Windows 10 upgrade and afterwards I the desktop screen is at a bare minimum and almost all functions and key presses seem to be disabled. . The message I get is that there is a file missing:...
  10. Can't find solutions - Taskbar & Desktop problems - they're unique!!

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't find solutions - Taskbar & Desktop problems - they're unique!!: My Taskbar un-hides without me moving the mouse - or even touching the computer. Then, it usually quickly hides again. The icons on the far right of the Taskbar sometimes take over 20 seconds to appear - and that's after the computer has been running for awhile. Then, my...