Windows 10: Desktop files not on the desktop?

Discus and support Desktop files not on the desktop? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hi all, is it possible to keep all the files on the Desktop in the different location, for example display the folder on the external drive as a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/J-96788-EU, Nov 7, 2020.

1. Desktop files not on the desktop?

Hi all, is it possible to keep all the files on the Desktop in the different location, for example display the folder on the external drive as a Desktop? Or do I need to use some 3rd party software?

The purpose of this is to be able to access the desktop files on different PC by just unplugging the external HDD (whilst PC is switched off) and quickly plug it into the laptop for example.

Thanks

submitted by /u/J-96788-EU
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/J-96788-EU, Nov 7, 2020
  2. MohanC Win User

windows 10 deleted my desktop files

Step 1 - I upgraded to Win 10 and lost all my files on Desktop.

Step 2 - Found the files in Network - USers- Desktop

copied all files again to desktop.

Step 3- Restarted my machine again and lost desktop files again.

Step 4 - As suggested did the following as listed below but dont find my files.

• Press “Windows + E”, open This PC/Computer
    • Open Local Disc C, open Windows.old
    • Click on Users, select your User name
    • Go to desktop folder
    Cant find my files. Why is Win 10 deleted files again and again from Desktop ?.

MohanC, Nov 7, 2020
  3. Try3 Win User
    Desktop

Margrave,

If the problem symptom returns [Desktop showing the correct contents when looked at in File explorer but not when looking at the Desktop itself], right-click on an empty area of the Desktop and select Refresh.

Many people have found that their Desktop's are not refreshing automatically and are forced to take this step. I searched & searched for a permanent solution but every suggestion I found either had no effect or had only a limited-duration effect.

Denis

Try3, Nov 7, 2020
  4. Desktop files not on the desktop?

Windows 10 missing desktop files

Hi Adriane,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I can imagine the inconvenience you have experienced. I will definitely help you with this.

• Did you do a clean installation of Windows or upgrade to Windows 10?
    I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if you can find your desktop files.

• Open This PC.
    • Double click on C: drive.
    • Open Users > double click on your user name.
    • Open Desktop and check if you can find missing files.
    Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

ThofikhAhamad, Nov 7, 2020
Thema:

Desktop files not on the desktop?

1. Desktop files not on the desktop? - Similar Threads - Desktop files desktop

2. Some Desktop icons showing on the desktop but they do not in the Desktop folder in File...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Some Desktop icons showing on the desktop but they do not in the Desktop folder in File...: i started experiencing this issue of my software icons showing on desktop and not on desktop folder in explorer ive tried everything but nothing as changed...
  3. Sync old desktop files to new desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sync old desktop files to new desktop: I believe I clicked a wrong button when setting up my brand new computer out of the box, and as a result, my old desktop files did not sync to my new desktop. My old desktop folder on OneDrive still has all the same files that it did before I switched to the new computer.Is...
  4. Sync old desktop files to new desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sync old desktop files to new desktop: I believe I clicked a wrong button when setting up my brand new computer out of the box, and as a result, my old desktop files did not sync to my new desktop. My old desktop folder on OneDrive still has all the same files that it did before I switched to the new computer.Is...
  5. Desktop File

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Desktop File: During a routine edit and save, my tab ghosted out, and now the file and file data have been lost https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-file/d8da8f26-94fd-4f62-bb61-19dbf8e03fba
  6. Desktop Files

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Desktop Files: And update on my Windows 10 was done last night...all my desktop files are gone. How do I get them back? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-files/7035e2c6-0b7d-4f70-8343-8de9abe7d9aa
  7. desktop files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    desktop files: my desktop files and shortcut disappeared. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-files/0ea001b8-d36e-4886-92ad-baf378f8729a"
  8. File listed on desktop does not show in desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    File listed on desktop does not show in desktop: When I search my computer for a file, it shows up in the found list with a bunch of numbers and letters after it that mean nothing to me. When I open it and try to save it to the desktop, I'm told that it is already on the desktop. I look for it and its not there. When I...
  9. Disappeared Files Desktop, desktop icons are still there

in Windows 10 Support
    Disappeared Files Desktop, desktop icons are still there: I was sorting files for a backup and made the mistake of putting them all on my desktop. Then i opened a movie with VLC and tried to add a subtitle file from my desktop. This failed for some reason without VLC giving an error so i tried again. I dragged the file from my...
  10. Copying files to Desktop: "There is not enough space on Desktop"

in Windows 10 Support
    Copying files to Desktop: "There is not enough space on Desktop": Hello, Copying files from external HD to my new PC and: "There is not enough space on Desktop. You need an additional 210 GB to copy these files" I have 2 drives on the machine: SSD (for apps) HD (1.8 Tb for files) .. when I copy files to desktop, they should...