Windows 10: Desktop folder in file explorer doesn't show all the shortcuts on the desktop

Discus and support Desktop folder in file explorer doesn't show all the shortcuts on the desktop in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have multiple desktop shortcuts on my desktop, but not all of them are showing up in the windows file explorer folder view.I have enabled hidden... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by James Erikson 91029, May 2, 2023.

1. Desktop folder in file explorer doesn't show all the shortcuts on the desktop

I have multiple desktop shortcuts on my desktop, but not all of them are showing up in the windows file explorer folder view.I have enabled hidden folders, and have rebooted both the computer and file explorer multiple times.Image: https://ibb.co/n3df39p

:)

James Erikson 91029, May 2, 2023

2. Explorer Not Showing All Desktop w/ Shortcuts Problem!

Normally on Windows 10, when I click 'Explorer' icon it shows files/folders but no shortcuts on my Desktop View!

So I'm checking to see how to change this so I see my complete Desktop view of icons, (just so I know what's there and not hidden in Explorer)! What I found is that in the list of locations, there are several labels that read 'DESKTOP'. But when you click
    on 'em some show desktop links and on others, they don't show desktop shortcuts. The difference is not denoted on the lists. All labels saying DESKTOP are different in how they display folders/files/links/etc inside the Windows 10 Explorer window!

MS should make them all the same and ESPECIALLY.... for the Explorer link on the desktop! If we want to see the desktop w/ everything in it we shouldn't have to hunt and peck through numerous labels tagged Desktop in the Explorer Tree to find the one that
    shows everything including links! Same Desktop labeled entry should show everything that's in that folder! ....many people make mistake of thinking it's in the Folder Settings. It's NOT for Explorer Views!

So what I want to do is at a TRUE DIRECT VIEW of what's really in the Desktop Folder in a Shortcut on the Desktop instead of the BAD Shortcut that ends up missing all the links/etc that one keeps hiding from me! How can I do that so I see FULL VIEW that
    if click the 2nd 'Desktop' label in list view I get to see EVERYTHING under any Desktop label when there is no designated differential? Thanks!

nonameanyname, May 2, 2023
  3. GlynS Win User
    Desktop shows different shortcuts than Windows explorer desktop

Hi

I've got a discrepancy between my Desktop (the thing with the wallpaper on it) and the Desktop folder view in Windows Explorer. Any folders and files that exist on the Desktop appear both on the desktop itself and the Explorer view, however any shortcuts
    that exist are only shown in one of those two places.

I can copy a shortcut from the desktop to the explorer desktop and it "moves" the way a standard file does, i.e. it disappears from the desktop and appears in the explorer view. Clicking on the desktop and refreshing the view makes the shortcut visible.

Trying to go the other way and move something from the explorer desktop to the standard desktop gives an error message saying "The source and destination files are the same" which is correct. This error message should pop up the other way around, but doesn't.

Anyone have any ideas what's going wrong and how I fix it?

Thanks

GlynS, May 2, 2023
  4. Desktop folder in file explorer doesn't show all the shortcuts on the desktop

Windows 10 File Explorer - Desktop Folder only shows some shortcuts?

The items you see on your Desktop when all windows are minimized come from several locations --- some are file system objects and some are Namespace items.

In File Explorer, the complete Desktop is seen by clicking the '>' icon found on the far left of the Address bar and selecting "'Desktop'

Desktop folder in file explorer doesn't show all the shortcuts on the desktop 0b3089bc-15dd-4159-807f-cacbe971b1a7.png

The Namespace items include User Folders, This PC, One Drive, Libraries, Network, Homegroup, Control Panel, and Recycle Bin. If you type "Desktop Icons" into your Search Bar, the first choice offered by Cortana should be 'Show or hide common icons on the
    desktop"

The 'Desktop' shortcut in Quick Access displays the consents of your user profile Desktop folder, which are only the files, folders, and shortcuts that you've created.

The other locations that populate the Desktop are:

"C:\Users\Public\Desktop"

HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace

Good Luck,

Keith

Keith A. Miller, May 2, 2023
Thema:

Desktop folder in file explorer doesn't show all the shortcuts on the desktop

1. Desktop folder in file explorer doesn't show all the shortcuts on the desktop - Similar Threads - Desktop folder file

2. Windows shortcuts from Public Desktop folder not showed in Windows Explorer Desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows shortcuts from Public Desktop folder not showed in Windows Explorer Desktop: Hello dear, i allow myself to ask you here, i've this "bug" on every Windows OS 11 / Server When you put some shortcuts in the Public\Public Desktop folder, it's correctly going on the Desktop on the user But when we are using the "Desktop" shortcut from "This PC" in "Windows...
  3. Windows shortcuts from Public Desktop folder not showed in Windows Explorer Desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows shortcuts from Public Desktop folder not showed in Windows Explorer Desktop: Hello dear, i allow myself to ask you here, i've this "bug" on every Windows OS 11 / Server When you put some shortcuts in the Public\Public Desktop folder, it's correctly going on the Desktop on the user But when we are using the "Desktop" shortcut from "This PC" in "Windows...
  4. New > Shortcut doesn't show up when right clicking on the desktop/file explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New > Shortcut doesn't show up when right clicking on the desktop/file explorer: I want to create a shortcut on my desktop but this is all I see under the New menu. Can someone tell me how to get all the "New" Options? I'm the only user on this PC....
  5. Desktop folder in file explorer doesn't show all the shortcuts on the desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop folder in file explorer doesn't show all the shortcuts on the desktop: I have multiple desktop shortcuts on my desktop, but not all of them are showing up in the windows file explorer folder view.I have enabled hidden folders, and have rebooted both the computer and file explorer multiple times.Image: https://ibb.co/n3df39p...
  6. Desktop folder in file explorer doesn't show all the shortcuts on the desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop folder in file explorer doesn't show all the shortcuts on the desktop: I have multiple desktop shortcuts on my desktop, but not all of them are showing up in the windows file explorer folder view.I have enabled hidden folders, and have rebooted both the computer and file explorer multiple times.Image: https://ibb.co/n3df39p...
  7. Not showing desktop folder icon in File Explorer?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Not showing desktop folder icon in File Explorer?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/RedPlammer [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/wmskhz/not_showing_desktop_folder_icon_in_file_explorer/
  8. Explorer Not Showing All Desktop w/ Shortcuts Problem!

in Windows 10 Customization
    Explorer Not Showing All Desktop w/ Shortcuts Problem!: Normally on Windows 10, when I click 'Explorer' icon it shows files/folders but no shortcuts on my Desktop View! So I'm checking to see how to change this so I see my complete Desktop view of icons, just so I know what's there and not hidden in Explorer! What I found is that...
  9. Desktop in Explorer not showing all files

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Desktop in Explorer not showing all files: For some reason when I access 'Desktop' by using the explorer it's not showing all the files on my desktop, as an example the recycling bin and a shortcut for Adobe Creative Cloud is not showing however it's showing a shortcut for other stuff. When I use "shell:desktop" it...
  10. create shortcut but it doesn't show on desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
    create shortcut but it doesn't show on desktop: In File Explorer>documents, right click an excel file>create shortcut. Noi shortcut is displayed on the desktop. Seems like I've successfully done this numerous times in the past. Hmmm. Any idea what's going on? Thanks. sweettasha...