Windows 10: Desktop Folder in onedrive - can I delete?

Discus and support Desktop Folder in onedrive - can I delete? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have a "Desktop" folder in my OneDrive folder and some others. I am on Windows 10. It doesn't indicate it is a shortcut but when I open it is the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Harry Lee_750, Oct 17, 2019.

1. Desktop Folder in onedrive - can I delete?

I have a "Desktop" folder in my OneDrive folder and some others. I am on Windows 10.

It doesn't indicate it is a shortcut but when I open it is the same as my actual desktop folder/desktop.

I need to remove it from my OneDrive etc - is it safe to just delete it?

Thanks for any advice.

:)

Harry Lee_750, Oct 17, 2019

2. Trouble deleting a folder

Thanks for the suggestion but it says "delete folder failed for E:\....." for each folder I try.

*Confused Desktop Folder in onedrive - can I delete? :confused:

Will I be forever stuck with these unnecessary folders? *Oh Well Desktop Folder in onedrive - can I delete? :eek:hwell:

oli_ramsay, Oct 17, 2019
  3. topgundcp Win User
    Unable to delete a folder - Invalid folder name

Suggestion:
    1. Run chkdsk x: /r to make sure that there's no HD corruption.
      x: is the drive containing the folder you want to delete.
    2. Try to delete the folder again. If still does not work, go to step 3.
    3. Download: Download - Linux Mint and create a bootable USB using: Rufus - Create bootable USB
    4. Boot up with Linux Mint and try to delete the folder again.
      NOTE: Unlike WinPE. Linux does not have any Windows permission imposed to it so it is easier to delete.

topgundcp, Oct 17, 2019
  4. Desktop Folder in onedrive - can I delete?

Windows 10 Saving Desktop inside of OneDrive - Cannot Delete Folders

I have identified a consistent bug in the "Auto Save" functionality of OneDrive where it allows you to have your Desktop, Documents, and Pictures folder inside of your OneDrive account.

If I create a folder on my Desktop, it doesn't matter how I create it... i.e., by right-clicking on the desktop itself and creating a new folder, or by navigating in the explorer to [UserAccountFolder]\Desktop, or by navigating in the explorer to [UserAccountFolder]\OneDrive\Desktop...
    I cannot delete that folder directly from the Desktop regardless if it is empty or not.

If I am directly on the Desktop and select the folder and press Delete on the keyboard it pops up the message letting you know that I may be able to restore it from the web etc etc, but then the folder doesn't delete. No matter how many times you do that
    it will not delete.

But if I navigate in Explorer to the [UserAccountFolder]\Desktop or [UserAccountFolder]\OneDrive\Desktop location I can delete the folder. I have checked the permissions and ownership of the folders I am testing this with and they are identical to other
    files on the desktop. I can delete files, just not folders.

This is a fresh install of Windows 10 Pro 64 bit on a brand new Dell computer and the only way I can resolve this issue is to not use the OneDrive functionality that saves my Desktop in my OneDrive. This does not happen in my Documents or Pictures folders,
    which are also saved in OneDrive.

MICROSOFT, Please assist.

DavidWisniewski, Oct 17, 2019
Thema:

Desktop Folder in onedrive - can I delete?

1. Desktop Folder in onedrive - can I delete? - Similar Threads - Desktop Folder onedrive

2. How can I recover deleted onedrive folder

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How can I recover deleted onedrive folder: I am a Mac user and have never had such issues. However, my current situation requires me to use a pc at this time. I did not realize that all of my folders were on this ONEDRIVE. I was trying to do something via the microsoft help forum and deleted my OneDrive folder to free...
  3. How can I recover deleted onedrive folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I recover deleted onedrive folder: I am a Mac user and have never had such issues. However, my current situation requires me to use a pc at this time. I did not realize that all of my folders were on this ONEDRIVE. I was trying to do something via the microsoft help forum and deleted my OneDrive folder to free...
  4. How can I recover deleted onedrive folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Deleted my Onedrive folder and it deleted my entire desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Deleted my Onedrive folder and it deleted my entire desktop: I was trying to make more space on my computer and ended up deleting my Onedrive folder, I looked at my desktop and saw that everything was gone. I'm trying to get those files back, they aren't on my Onedrive on the website because I never upgraded my storage space. There's...
  6. Deleted my Onedrive folder and it deleted my entire desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Deleted my Onedrive folder and it deleted my entire desktop: I was trying to make more space on my computer and ended up deleting my Onedrive folder, I looked at my desktop and saw that everything was gone. I'm trying to get those files back, they aren't on my Onedrive on the website because I never upgraded my storage space. There's...
  7. Deleted my Onedrive folder and it deleted my entire desktop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  8. Should I delete OneDrive Folder

Should I delete OneDrive Folder: Hi. I messed up my OneDrive so bad, I couldn't do anything with it. I want to start over and set it up correctly before I start using it again. At OneDrive.com I unlinked the pc and unlinked the account. Then I closed OneDrive on my computer and uninstalled OneDrive via...
  9. I deleted the onedrive folder

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I deleted the onedrive folder: I deleted the onedrive folder because it was annoying and i dindt want it. But soon i realized that it actually contaid my desktop files and more. I dont really care about desktop files but wheneve i open something wit a onedrive sync logo on it it just give me an error. How...
  10. OneDrive can I delete desktop

OneDrive can I delete desktop: I have two W10 laptops both version 1909 and I use OneDrive. Is there a way to de-synch my desktop. In other words, there are files I want on one desktop, but not on the other. Note: right-clicking the file and choosing to keep on this device does not do the trick. If I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. dell documents and desktop inside onedrive