Windows 10: Desktop folder is now read only after Windows 10 upgrade

Discus and support Desktop folder is now read only after Windows 10 upgrade in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Following a Windows 10 upgrade my Desktop folder is now read-only and even after trying to change permissions as myself (I am an Administrator), the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by MPalmer333, Sep 25, 2019.

1. Desktop folder is now read only after Windows 10 upgrade

Following a Windows 10 upgrade my Desktop folder is now read-only and even after trying to change permissions as myself (I am an Administrator), the folder remains read-only. How can the permissions be restored to allow full control of the Desktop when logged in as myself?

:)

MPalmer333, Sep 25, 2019
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Sep 25, 2019
  3. MohanC Win User
    windows 10 deleted my desktop files

Step 1 - I upgraded to Win 10 and lost all my files on Desktop.

Step 2 - Found the files in Network - USers- Desktop

copied all files again to desktop.

Step 3- Restarted my machine again and lost desktop files again.

Step 4 - As suggested did the following as listed below but dont find my files.

• Press “Windows + E”, open This PC/Computer
    • Open Local Disc C, open Windows.old
    • Click on Users, select your User name
    • Go to desktop folder
    Cant find my files. Why is Win 10 deleted files again and again from Desktop ?.

MohanC, Sep 25, 2019
  4. Nordic Win User

Desktop folder is now read only after Windows 10 upgrade

Windows 10 upgrade problem, no input accepted

I really hate having to come here and ask for help, but I really am stumped. It hurts my geek pride. I have a PC with fairly modern hardware in it. It has a p8p67 pro in it. I have tried upgrading windows 10 on it twice now. Both times I have had the same result.

After windows finishes upgrading it goes to the log in/set up screen. I can't do anything. No keyboard or mouse input is accepted.

I will list some, or hopefully all, of the troubleshooting steps I have tried:
    • Move keyboard and mouse to different USB ports.
    • Try different keyboard or mouse.
    • Restart computer, repeatedly.
    • Google for related issues.
    • Update Bios, because why not.
    • Create boot media and revert to windows 7.
    The windows 10 system restore boot media works fine with keyboard and mouse. All USB ports work in windows 7. I don't know what is wrong. I suspect that windows 10 is lacking a driver of some sort, but since the computer accepts no input I have no way of checking for which driver let alone installing it.

Please help me figure this out. If I have to revert back to windows 7 again, I am not going to get it upgraded to windows 10. Thank you in advanced.

Nordic, Sep 25, 2019
Thema:

Desktop folder is now read only after Windows 10 upgrade

1. Desktop folder is now read only after Windows 10 upgrade - Similar Threads - Desktop folder read

2. Read Only Folders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Read Only Folders: My folders have suddenly become marked as Read Only and I can't change it. In the Security tab all the permissions that have been allowed are checked, but grayed out. I haven't changed anything in regards to my system other than installing Windows updates. I'm running Windows...
  3. folders are read only

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    folders are read only: hello, I'm on windows 10 pro and I cant seem to find a way to remove the read only, I've tried as admin, cmd, etc.if someone can help me would me appreciated !! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/folders-are-read-only/7f8f773d-718c-42cf-835b-bffa74e59326
  4. folders are read only

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    folders are read only: hello, I'm on windows 10 pro and I cant seem to find a way to remove the read only, I've tried as admin, cmd, etc.if someone can help me would me appreciated !! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/folders-are-read-only/7f8f773d-718c-42cf-835b-bffa74e59326
  5. Windows 10 - "Desktop" folder is "Read Only", Unable to change it

Windows 10 - "Desktop" folder is "Read Only", Unable to change it: Hello I would like to change the "Folder Access Rights" of the folder "Desktop" from "Read Only" to otherwise. When I try to change the rights, it acknowledges the change. However when I check again, it goes back to "Read Only". What do I do? Thank You Deepak...
  6. Read only folders

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Read only folders: Hi I am using windows 10 Home addition. And I am facing two problems. 1. My folders in laptop has become read-only. I have tried to un-check read-only from properties, and as well as from CMD prompt window by using Attrib -R +S\ command. But still no luck. for your...
  7. Windows 10 read only folders

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 read only folders: [ATTACH] Are all folders supposed to have a read only on them like this? Just performed a clean install of my pc b/c of this and it still remained even after I performed a clean install....
  8. Read-only folders

Read-only folders: All folders on both computers on my home network have become read-only; the files within them are not showing as read-only, but cannot be amended due to the folder permissions. I have tried the solutions referenced on line using security permissions, allowing inheritance etc....
  9. All folders are now Read Only Windows 10

All folders are now Read Only Windows 10: After a recent update my folders on all devices are now Read Only. I change the setting and save. But the attribute is Read Only. I searched to find out I am not the only one with this problem but I am not able to correct it. The directions to fix the problem I am finding...
  10. sd card read only after upgrading to windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    sd card read only after upgrading to windows 10: Hi, I have a micro sd card which does not have the lock function. I am unable to delete or reformat because all the files have changed to read only. I have tried many things to change the setting - cmd commands, Easeus, and whatever else I found online but to no avail. I...