Windows 10: Desktop folder misplaced

Discus and support Desktop folder misplaced in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I had my desktop synced to my OneDrive folder, along with documents pictures and videos, and needed to move them back to the original location. In the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by gnpb, Jan 21, 2020.

1. gnpb Win User

Desktop folder misplaced

I had my desktop synced to my OneDrive folder, along with documents pictures and videos, and needed to move them back to the original location. In the process I have lost my desktop folder. It is now the highest level folder on my computer, with my pc, and OneDrive folders under it, and can't be moved. When I right click to open properties of the desktop folder it opens pc settings. How can I restore my correct Desktop folder in the correct location. https://1drv.ms/u/s!AiRuzeWPuaGp7WYemv6mn6CJ5cnV

:)

2. misplaced .cache folder

I accidentally misplaced a .cache fontconfig folder. It is now on my desktop. How do I find where it came from, so I can put it back there?

CherylRoewer, Jan 21, 2020
  3. Bree Win User
    Misplaced hidden library folders in Documents folder?

Not quite.

Yes - they are Junctions. I don't have Vista to hand, but exactly the same Junctions exist in Windows 7...

Desktop folder misplaced [​IMG]

...and Windows 8/8.1...

...but NOT in a clean install of Windows 10. They do however exist in an upgrade to Win10, but only because they were already there in Windows 7 or 8 before the upgrade.

And the reason the Junctions are there at all? For backward compatibility with Windows XP when they were real folders.

Yes @JohnnyGui, everyone who upgraded from W7 or W8 has them. Your specs suggest yours was an upgrade from 8.1 Pro.

So yes, on balance it should be safe to delete them (Windows 10 didn't create them, after all). The only problem you may have is if you are still running any XP-era programs *Smile

4. JohnnyGui Win User

Desktop folder misplaced

Misplaced hidden library folders in Documents folder?

So if I change the path to a drive outside of the operating system drive, then the hidden system folders in Documents will be gone??

JohnnyGui, Jan 21, 2020
Thema:

Desktop folder misplaced

1. Desktop folder misplaced - Similar Threads - Desktop folder misplaced

2. Asus vivobook color misplacement

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Asus vivobook color misplacement: I recently got an Asus vivobook 15, but the screen shows wrong colors when watching videos. For example the sky, which is normally white but on my screen black, with red or green at the edges, and so on. Sometimes I have this problem and sometimes I don't. It kicks in...
  3. Misplaced Error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Misplaced Error: I randomly get several instances ~20 of a "device phone has either disconnected or stopped responding", but I do not have my phone plugged in at all, the notifications come from nowhere....
  4. Misplaced Error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Misplaced Error: I randomly get several instances ~20 of a "device phone has either disconnected or stopped responding", but I do not have my phone plugged in at all, the notifications come from nowhere....
  5. Misplaced Error

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  6. Can't find misplaced folders section in OneNote

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can't find misplaced folders section in OneNote: I tried to resolve a synchronizing problem, so I closed notebooks and OneNote. I had several notes in a misplaced notes sections before closing a Notebook. But when I add the notebook back, all of the misplaced notes disappeared. I cannot find them anywhere...
  7. OneNote for Windows 10. Can't find misplaced folders section

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    OneNote for Windows 10. Can't find misplaced folders section: I followed instructions to solve a synchronizing problem. Closed notebooks then closed OneNote. When closing a Notebook there were several notes in a misplaced notes section. After adding back the notebook all of the misplaced notes were gone. They are not in deleted...
  8. Misplaced hidden library folders in Documents folder?

in Windows 10 Support
    Misplaced hidden library folders in Documents folder?: Hello When unchecking the "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)" and selecting "Show hidden folders, files and drives" in the Folder Options, I can see My Music, My Pictures and My videos library folders appearing in my Documents folder. I have Windows 10 Pro...
  9. Access to A Misplaced WindowsApps System Folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Access to A Misplaced WindowsApps System Folder: After Win 10 Anniversary Update installed I experienced a continuous BSOD. When Dell tech support could not ascertain the cause, I was advised to reformat my C: partition and reinstall Windows. The initial re installation (by Dell) apparently failed to locate & install the...
  10. Misplaced My Docs folder of pictures.

in Windows 10 Support
    Misplaced My Docs folder of pictures.: Upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10 yesterday [free update]. Checked my Docs containing my phot folders. Last one being Plant Pathology. Folder is missing. It's taken me months building this folder. In the Start area, I recognized one of the missing pics, displayed as a tile. Did...