Windows 10: Desktop folders & files flash & blink continuously & computer is slow.

Discus and support Desktop folders & files flash & blink continuously & computer is slow. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Microsoft Updated my computer with the Oct. 2018 Windows 10 Update last week. Had to reinstall all my paid for software. Files & folders & App folders... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by TyesinClair, Nov 14, 2018.

1. Desktop folders & files flash & blink continuously & computer is slow.

Microsoft Updated my computer with the Oct. 2018 Windows 10 Update last week. Had to reinstall all my paid for software. Files & folders & App folders are flashing nonstop.

Tech Support did a System Restore. Only the Update Restore Point existed. All other Restore Points were wiped out. Software Apps works ; But slow speed is noticeable.

Any & all suggestions from the MS Community will be greatly appreciated.

:)

TyesinClair, Nov 14, 2018
  2. VinceB Win User

Blinking/Flashing Icons on Desktop PC

Hi:

I am experiencing blinking/flashing of several icons that are located on my Win10-64 Pro desktop PC's screen and icons that are pinned to within the taskbar. The PC is a DELL XPS 8700 desktop. I think my PC has Windows 10 build 1803 installed on 5/19/2018, and am getting updates automatically from Microsoft.

Observations:
    When booting the PC, after the login screen, it is taking an unusual amount of time to load the "image" part of the desktop icons; the filenames in text appear first and quickly, and then a delay occurs before the icon images are "painted" onto the monitor's screen. I also noticed that while having file manager opened, the same file names blink in the directory structure pane, at the far left. Just now noticed, as I am writing this, that while using Internet Explorer browser, blinking has stopped, taskbar icons have disappeared and replaced with blank, box outlines, no response when clicking on a desktop icon; this happened once before and I had to reboot PC to get control of taskbar back.

What I have tried thus far and results:

1. I ran the inbuilt DELL diagnostics, and all hardware passed the "thorough" tests.
    2. I followed instructions given in this YouTube video: , and used msconfig to locate and uncheck the boxes for (1) WindowsErrorReporting and (2) ProblemsReportandSolutions. I also used this video's instructions to uninstall iCloud. The result of doing that is, possibly, a slow down in the blinking rate of icons within the taskbar and on the desktop, but the flashing continues. This was done during Windows normal mode (while icons were blinking); I have yet to attempt these same steps while in Windows Safe Mode.
    3. I then followed instructions given in this YouTube video: , and used regedit to locate (1) ForegroundFlashCount and (2) ForegroundLockTimeout and reset each of those to 0 (zero). The result of doing that is no improvement/change in the flashing icons.
    4. I also used Windows Restore to go back to 4 OCT 2018. That has not helped, either.

I think there was an automatic windows update done on my PC, overnight sometime after 5th OCT. I would like to know how to go about identifying and undoing the last Windows update? and how to disallow automatic updates from Microsoft?

I do not know what to do next. Any help would be appreciated.

TNX.

VinceB, Nov 14, 2018
  3. Barb8Wil Win User
    Blinking and Flashing

By the time I got your email the blinking/flashing had stopped. But then, a few days later there was another update performed and the blinking/flashing started again .I tried the methods you listed above but to no avail. The blinking/flashing continues.
    The worst part is the drop-down menus on my page disappear before I can use them. Should I just go back to Windows 8?

Barb8Wil, Nov 14, 2018
  4. Frogger Win User

Desktop folders & files flash & blink continuously & computer is slow.

?? How do I PW protect Folders in windows

hmmm?
    Sharing files and folders overview You can share the files and folders stored on your computer, on a network, and on the Web. The method you choose depends on whom you want to share files with, and what computer they will use to access the files.

When you share files or folders, they are not as protected as they are when you do not share them. People with access to your computer or your network might be able to read, copy, or change files that are in a shared folder. You should always be aware that the files and folders that you share are available to other people and be sure to monitor your shared files and folders on a regular basis.

Important

If your computer is not joined to a domain, you can use the Network Setup Wizard to automatically turn file and printer sharing on or off. To start the Network Setup Wizard, click Start, click Control Panel, click Network and Internet Connections, and then click Network Setup Wizard.
    If you both use the same computer

You can put the files you want to share in the Shared Documents folder. Files stored in the Shared Documents folder or its subfolders are always available to other users on your computer.

Step-by-step procedure
    Note

If you are connected to a network domain, the Shared Documents, Shared Pictures, and Shared Music folders are not available.
    If both computers are on the same network

You can share a folder or drive on your computer with others on the network. You can also control whether the files in the shared folder can be modified by other users.

If your computer is connected to a network domain, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    If your computer is connected to a workgroup, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    Note

If you are connected to a network domain, you will need to set the Access control for the folder or drive after sharing it. For more information, go to To set, view, change, or remove file and folder permissions.
    If you want to share your files online

You can publish pictures and documents on the Web using the Web Publishing Wizard. The files will be stored in a private, online folder that you manage.

Step-by-step procedure

If you don't want others to access your files

You can prevent other users from accessing your folders and the files they contain. When your computer is connected to a domain, this is called setting permissions for your file or folder. When your computer is connected to a workgroup, this is called making your folders private.

If your computer is connected to a network domain, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    If your computer is connected to a workgroup, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure

'HELP' it can be your friend *Smile Desktop folders & files flash & blink continuously & computer is slow. :)

Frogger, Nov 14, 2018
Thema:

Desktop folders & files flash & blink continuously & computer is slow.

1. Desktop folders & files flash & blink continuously & computer is slow. - Similar Threads - Desktop folders files

2. My desktop application icons are continuously blinking refreshing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My desktop application icons are continuously blinking refreshing: My desktop application icons installed in the software are continuously blinking refreshing. I have captured a video but I don't know how to send it to you....
  3. My desktop application icons are continuously blinking refreshing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My desktop application icons are continuously blinking refreshing: My desktop application icons installed in the software are continuously blinking refreshing. I have captured a video but I don't know how to send it to you....
  4. Desktop folder really slow

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop folder really slow: Opening anything from desktop takes up to two minutes. File explorer works fine, and opening the same file from the explorer is normal. Opening apps from the start menu or the task bar also works like it used to, but if it is from a shortcut on the desktop it is really slow....
  5. Desktop folder really slow

Desktop folder really slow: Opening anything from desktop takes up to two minutes. File explorer works fine, and opening the same file from the explorer is normal. Opening apps from the start menu or the task bar also works like it used to, but if it is from a shortcut on the desktop it is really slow....
  6. Desktop folder really slow

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. External display slow down the laptop and cursor continuously blinking

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External display slow down the laptop and cursor continuously blinking: Hello Microsoft Community. I have a vostro 14 laptop with Windows 11 Pro installed with following specifications. Core i77th generation 8gb rab128gb SSD for Windows 500gb HDD for other stuffI have 24 inch Samsung LED. I've been using external display for the last year with my...
  8. External display slow down the laptop and cursor continuously blinking

External display slow down the laptop and cursor continuously blinking: Hello Microsoft Community. I have a vostro 14 laptop with Windows 11 Pro installed with following specifications. Core i77th generation 8gb rab128gb SSD for Windows 500gb HDD for other stuffI have 24 inch Samsung LED. I've been using external display for the last year with my...
  9. Desktop icons and taskbar flashing/blinking

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop icons and taskbar flashing/blinking: Icons on desktop have become enlarged and they flash periodically along with the taskbar. I'm not able to open the start menu at all. In safe mode it doesn't flash but the warning "The system detected an overrun of a stack-based buffer in this application..." keeps popping...
  10. Blinking/Flashing Icons on Desktop PC

in Windows 10 Support
    Blinking/Flashing Icons on Desktop PC: Hi: I am experiencing blinking/flashing of several icons that are located on my Win10-64 Pro desktop PC's screen and icons that are pinned to within the taskbar. The PC is a DELL XPS 8700 desktop. I think my PC has Windows 10 build 1803 installed on 5/19/2018, and am getting...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Icons on taskbar continuously flash anytime a folder is open containing .pdf documents

2. Pc folder flicker

3. my documents folder flashing

4. why my directories are blinking,
  5. win 10 desktop icons blink when a folder with .pdf files is open,
  6. computer icons blink and memory slow,
  7. why laptop has blinking search on each of my desktop files/folders