Windows 10: Desktop freezing or rebooting - Kernel Power 41 63, Bugcheckcode 278

Discus and support Desktop freezing or rebooting - Kernel Power 41 63, Bugcheckcode 278 in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi everyone. Ever since about a week ago, my prebuilt Alienware Desktop with Win 10 Home that i use for gaming has started being a nuisance. Everything... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Patevenus, May 4, 2020.

1. Patevenus Win User

Desktop freezing or rebooting - Kernel Power 41 63, Bugcheckcode 278

Hi everyone. Ever since about a week ago, my prebuilt Alienware Desktop with Win 10 Home that i use for gaming has started being a nuisance.
    Everything worked fine beforehand, but in the last couple days my desktop either suddenly has a freeze of death and i have to hard reboot it, or the desktop freezes and after a couple seconds auto-restarts. I've been trying to troubleshoot myself and found a couple useful threads, but was unable to resolve the issue at hand. Those threads seem to suggest graphics card driver issues or power supply issues.

The crashes seem to happen unrelated to whether or not a game is running or the runtime, sometimes i have a streak of no crashes at all for hours, and worst-case my PC crashes 6 times over the course of 30 minutes and 8 times a day. I share the room with a roommate who also uses his notebook for gaming.

What i've tried:
    Rollback Graphics card driver in devmanager, completely uninstall and reinstall graphics card driver manually
    Install all Windows updates
    Run System File Checker
    Uncheck "Perform automatic reboot"
    Monitor GPU heat idling around 40, going to 80 when playing games

My computer:
    pre-built Alienware Area-51 R2 x64

Intel R CoreTM i7-6900k CPU @ 3.20 GHz [01]: Intel64 Family 6 Model 79 Stepping 1 GenuineIntel ~3193 MHz
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080
    Win10 Home 64bit 10.0, Build 18362
    64gb RAM
    BIOS Alienware A14, 02.07.2018
    Power Supply Dell D850EF-00 850W N1WJD Power Supply
    DirectX12 installed

Here's what the eventlog says after a crash:

- System

- Provider

[ Name] Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
    [ Guid] {331c3b3a-2005-44c2-ac5e-77220c37d6b4}

EventID 41

Version 6

Level 1

Task 63

Opcode 0

Keywords 0x8000400000000002

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2020-05-04T15:33:45.994308100Z

EventRecordID 18281

Correlation

- Execution

[ ProcessID] 4
    [ ThreadID] 8

Channel System

Computer DESKTOP-MM0EKKD

- Security

[ UserID] S-1-5-18

- EventData

BugcheckCode 278
    BugcheckParameter1 0xffff8682a682f460
    BugcheckParameter2 0x0
    BugcheckParameter3 0x0
    BugcheckParameter4 0x0

This is what the tool "WhoCrashed" gathers from the Memory.dmp

On Mon 04.05.2020 17:04:47 your computer crashed or a problem was reported

crash dump file: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP
    This was probably caused by the following module: Unknown 0xFFFFA28D12BC3E70
    Bugcheck code: 0x119 0x2, 0xFFFFFFFFC000000D, 0xFFFFDD869D232920, 0xFFFFA28D12BC3E70
    Error: VIDEO_SCHEDULER_INTERNAL_ERROR
    Bug check description: This indicates that the video scheduler has detected a fatal violation.
    A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error.
    Google query: VIDEO_SCHEDULER_INTERNAL_ERROR

On Thu 30.04.2020 20:09:59 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\043020-9593-01.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: watchdog.sys watchdog+0x41A0
    Bugcheck code: 0x119 0x2, 0xFFFFFFFFC000000D, 0xFFFFFC0D2CC07920, 0xFFFF9D0156830650
    Error: VIDEO_SCHEDULER_INTERNAL_ERROR
    file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\watchdog.sys
    product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
    company: Microsoft Corporation
    description: Watchdog Driver
    Bug check description: This indicates that the video scheduler has detected a fatal violation.
    The crash took place in a Microsoft

module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

Additionally, here's a link to the minidump: https://drive.google.com/file/d/161HvkA7SK-XuCRzMU7b_xl-cqWyufspj/view?usp=sharing

Thanks

Patrick

:)

Patevenus, May 4, 2020

2. Kernel-Power event id 41. BugcheckCode 0

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

In-order to get more clarity on this issue and to assist you with appropriate troubleshooting steps, reply with answers to the below questions:

1. Are you aware of any changes made on your PC, prior to this issue?
    2. Is this issue specific while playing a particular game?
    3. Which edition of Windows are you currently using?

A Kernel Power Event 41 can occur in the following scenarios.

Scenario 1: The computer restarts, and there is a Stop error BugcheckCode in the event data.

Scenario 2: The computer is shut down by pressing and holding the power button.

Scenario 3: The system randomly restarts and no Stop error BugcheckCode is listed, or the computer is completely unresponsive (hard hang).

I suggest you refer the article on Kernel
    Power Event ID 41
    and follow the steps for the scenario that is causing this error on your PC.

Additionally, you can refer the article on Windows
    Kernel event ID 41 error "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first" in Windows

and check if that helps.

Regards,

Sandeep Kumar M

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Sandeep_KM, May 4, 2020
  3. Kernel power 41 63 Windows 10

I get critical error kernel power 41 63 windows 10 only in online games. For example the system freezes when I leave the game for half an hour so I have to reboot.

Marcus Marcus1, May 4, 2020
  4. Desktop freezing or rebooting - Kernel Power 41 63, Bugcheckcode 278

Kernel Power 41 (63) error after updating to win10 from win7

Okay, I did a repair install. Videogame freezes disappeared.

But I still have the random reboots with Kernel Power 41(63) error.

JacquesMongolfier, May 4, 2020
Thema:

Desktop freezing or rebooting - Kernel Power 41 63, Bugcheckcode 278

1. Desktop freezing or rebooting - Kernel Power 41 63, Bugcheckcode 278 - Similar Threads - Desktop freezing rebooting

2. Kernel-Power Event 41 Bugcheckcode 278

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Kernel-Power Event 41 Bugcheckcode 278: Since I installed a new VGA adapter my PC started some random reboots, even at moments I wasn't even using it. No BSOD. Just a black screen and reboot.I check event viewer and it shoes a Event 41,Kernel-Power - Task 63 - Bugcheckcode 278. Looked for it and it's a 116...
  3. Kernel-Power Event 41 Bugcheckcode 278

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Kernel-Power Event 41 Bugcheckcode 278: Since I installed a new VGA adapter my PC started some random reboots, even at moments I wasn't even using it. No BSOD. Just a black screen and reboot.I check event viewer and it shoes a Event 41,Kernel-Power - Task 63 - Bugcheckcode 278. Looked for it and it's a 116...
  4. Kernel Power ID 41 Bugcheckcode 278.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Kernel Power ID 41 Bugcheckcode 278.: Hello. This error has been happening at random whenever I'm playing any game, it seems like the computer cuts off everything and reboots on its own. So far I've uninstalled the Nvidia Graphic Driver and installed it back, updated all drivers I could and I ended up doing a...
  5. Kernel Power ID 41 Bugcheckcode 278.

Kernel Power ID 41 Bugcheckcode 278.: Hello. This error has been happening at random whenever I'm playing any game, it seems like the computer cuts off everything and reboots on its own. So far I've uninstalled the Nvidia Graphic Driver and installed it back, updated all drivers I could and I ended up doing a...
  6. Kernel Power ID 41 Bugcheckcode 278.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. PC Crashes to blackscreen and reboots Kernel-Power Event 41 BugcheckCode 278...

PC Crashes to blackscreen and reboots Kernel-Power Event 41 BugcheckCode 278...: Hi,As stated in the title my PC just randomly crashed into a "blackscreen" Both monitors losing signal followed by an automatic reboot.This has probably happened once before but I wasn't in front of my PC when It happened the first time, I just found my PC had rebooted when I...
  8. PC Crashes to blackscreen and reboots Kernel-Power Event 41 BugcheckCode 278...

PC Crashes to blackscreen and reboots Kernel-Power Event 41 BugcheckCode 278...: Hi,As stated in the title my PC just randomly crashed into a "blackscreen" Both monitors losing signal followed by an automatic reboot.This has probably happened once before but I wasn't in front of my PC when It happened the first time, I just found my PC had rebooted when I...
  9. PC crashing when gaming Kernel Power 41 63 BugCheckCode 278

PC crashing when gaming Kernel Power 41 63 BugCheckCode 278: My PC randomly crashes when gaming, in some games the crashing is more frequent than the other, while it is almost non-existent in a few games. Been trying to find an answer but found nothing concrete, and the PC is around 5 months old, and although the issue was present...
  10. Kernel-Power 41 63 BugcheckCode 159

Kernel-Power 41 63 BugcheckCode 159: It happened when I try to put pc in a sleep mode. It didn't go into sleep mode and restarted. EventData BugcheckCode159 BugcheckParameter10x4 BugcheckParameter20x12c BugcheckParameter30xffffbf8a8b6e9040 BugcheckParameter40xffff8b885a4b5880 SleepInProgress1...