Windows 10: Desktop gone from Settings (desktop is black) after update

Discus and support Desktop gone from Settings (desktop is black) after update in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I updated my Windows the other day because Sea of Theives had a missing DLL and that was their suggestion. Updating Windows did NOT fix the missing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by JSandor, Mar 13, 2019.

1. JSandor Win User

Desktop gone from Settings (desktop is black) after update

I updated my Windows the other day because Sea of Theives had a missing DLL and that was their suggestion.

Updating Windows did NOT fix the missing DLL, however it DID break my desktop.

The desktop is black, and when I go to the settings to change it there is no option to edit or change my desktop. Usually there's a spot in the control panel and it looks like it has been deleted.

:)

JSandor, Mar 13, 2019
  2. Remon Ont Win User

Desktop background gone black after a few minutes of use on laptop.

Hello,

Desktop background and taskbar going black could be due to software conflicts.

We would like to know some information to better assist you with your concern:

• What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    • Did you get any error messages or error codes?

In the meantime, we suggest that you try to check if the "Show Windows Background" option is turned on. Follow the steps below:

• Open Settings in the Start menu.
    • Go to Ease of Access, then on the left side, click
      Other options.
    • Turn on Show Windows Background and check if it works.

We will wait for your reply.

Remon Ont, Mar 13, 2019
  3. Alice524 Win User
    Desktop has gone to black and white

My cat stepped on my keyboard causing my desktop to go from color to black and white. I have Windows 10. How can I get my color back?

Thanks.

Alice524, Mar 13, 2019
  4. Desktop gone from Settings (desktop is black) after update

fllckering desktop

Hi Yvonne,

To resolve your issue with flickering desktop, we suggest that you update your display drivers with the steps listed below:

• Right-click Start, then select Device Manager.
    • Expand Display Adapters to find the name of your device.
    • Right-click the device and select Update Driver Software.
    • Follow steps to update display drivers.

Update us on the result.

Regards.

Angela Pun, Mar 13, 2019
Thema:

Desktop gone from Settings (desktop is black) after update

1. Desktop gone from Settings (desktop is black) after update - Similar Threads - Desktop gone Settings

2. Black desktop after update to 19042.630

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Black desktop after update to 19042.630: Windows 10 x64 build 18363.1198 Just updated to 19042.630 (took me 1h 42 minutes including the reboot) Desktop is black now. Updated the video driver (GTX 970 ) to the latest version. Makes no difference. I believe I tried to update quite a while ago and got this black...
  3. Black desktop screen after update

in Windows 10 Customization
    Black desktop screen after update: My desktop is now black and not its usual colour. other screens like this one are white as usual https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/black-desktop-screen-after-update/9e25c997-3f67-47fe-8ef3-1d2e2ff127d6
  4. Desktop folders gone after update

Desktop folders gone after update: Update ran and now my Desktop icons are all gone along with folders https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-folders-gone-after-update/591f9a16-1fe3-4ae4-88db-db120c9bc4e6
  5. Files gone missing from Desktop???

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Files gone missing from Desktop???: I have a folder structure sitting in my desktop directory that contains about 40 sub directories, one for each of my past clients. Within each of these sub-directories there are other sub-directories. A few days ago I went into one of these sub-directories and found that...
  6. Desktop is gone

Desktop is gone: I am highly upset after just updating windows 10. My desktop is completely gone and I am unable to minimize anything I open to work on later. I am at the point of wanting to break my computer. I am so frustrated being a college student is not easy when I cannot do these...
  7. Desktop Background Gone after update

Desktop Background Gone after update: The desktop background on my laptop has disappeared after today's major update. I believe it was synced with my Desktop computer. How do I restore it? Do I have to do a system restore, which would be ridiculous. Windows 10 Pro Version: 1903 OS Build: 18362.267 thanks 137744
  8. Desktop Background Gone after update

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop Background Gone after update: The desktop background on my laptop has disappeared after today's major update. I believe it was synced with my Desktop computer. How do I restore it? Do I have to do a system restore, which would be ridiculous. Windows 10 Pro Version: 1903 OS Build: 18362.267 thanks 137744
  9. desktop icons gone after update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    desktop icons gone after update: I want to ask why after a update windows 10 home version 1709 build 16.299.785 my icons are gone from the desktop and 1 icon came back on my taskbar, and when I click that all does come back....this is so weird, can you help me to resolve this. thank you...
  10. Desktop is black after October updating

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Desktop is black after October updating: After updating in October 2018 my desktop running Windows 10 get black when i sign in. I only can move a mouse pointer around the screen. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-is-black-after-october-updating/a7064df3-399c-4a94-add2-19b7a9833ba6

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows desktop is gone after update