Windows 10: desktop has been shutting down when it is supposed to be going to sleep mode.

Discus and support desktop has been shutting down when it is supposed to be going to sleep mode. in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; My desktop has been shutting down when it is supposed to be going to sleep mode. It wakes when I hit the keyboard or shake the mouse, but it boots... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Kabboroo., Mar 8, 2020.

1. Kabboroo. Win User

desktop has been shutting down when it is supposed to be going to sleep mode.

My desktop has been shutting down when it is supposed to be going to sleep mode.

It wakes when I hit the keyboard or shake the mouse, but it boots from BIOS like it had been shut down.

I have Windows Power options set to “When plugged in PC goes to sleep after 2 hours”

I have “Sleep Block” disabled, and “Wake On USB” enabled in the BIOS

In Windows Advanced Power Options, I have Hybrid Mode disabled, and Hibernate set to never.

It’s Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, up to date ver 1909 build 18363.693. Drivers all up to date.

Dell Precision Desktop 5820. Latest BIOS and drivers.

:)

Kabboroo., Mar 8, 2020

2. Computer shuts down instead of going in to sleep mode

Since two weeks my Dell laptop is shutting down every time when:

• Closing the laptop
    • Pressing the power button short
    • Manually via the Start Menu
    All these options are set to Sleep Mode and not Shut Down.

EgonMeijers, Mar 8, 2020
  3. open the desktop from sleep mode

Hi Abhishek,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft community.

To understand the issue better, I suggest you to answer the below questions.

• How are trying to start the computer from the sleep mode?
    • Since from when are you facing this issue?
    • Did you make any changes prior to the issue?
    • Are you able to shut down or restart the machine?
    • What happens when you try to come out of Sleep mode?
    I would suggest you to force shutdown the computer and start the computer and check what happens.

If you are able to login to normal mode then follow the below steps to restore the power setting/plan to default.

• Press Windows + X keys, and select the option
      Control Panel.
    • Click on the Power Options icon.
    • Click on Change plan settings.
    • Select the option “Restore default settings for this plan”.
    Please post us back with more information and if the issues resolves to help you better.

Sachin Venkatesh, Mar 8, 2020
  4. desktop has been shutting down when it is supposed to be going to sleep mode.

Windows 10 shuts down after going into sleep mode

Katrina,

I have had the exact same problem with the exact same computer: a Dell XPS 9100 desktop. It started after a Windows 10 update on 12/20/17. The computer turns off instead of sleeping when it reaches the time for sleep based on the Power and Sleep settings.
    If I manually put it to sleep using the button in the Start menu, it will go into sleep mode, but when I try to wake it up by clicking the mouse it then turns itself off.

I tried starting in Safe Mode as you suggested to the other person, but couldn’t find a sleep option to test.

My solution has been to set Sleep to “Never”, which prevents it from shutting down, but I don’t like having to keep it constantly powered up.

If it helps, the updates on 12/20/17 are KB4058043, KB4054517, and KB4053577.

Thank you for your help.

Robert

RobertGolub, Mar 8, 2020
Thema:

desktop has been shutting down when it is supposed to be going to sleep mode.

1. desktop has been shutting down when it is supposed to be going to sleep mode. - Similar Threads - desktop has been

2. Shutting Down when supposed to sleep

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Shutting Down when supposed to sleep: For the past 3 weeks, I close my computer and it shuts down when I want it to sleep. I am not telling it to do this, it does this automatically. I thought a recent update would fix it, but the problem has not been resolved. What steps should I take?...
  3. Is there any setting for a laptop to go into sleep mode instead of shutting down when...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there any setting for a laptop to go into sleep mode instead of shutting down when...: My laptop is kinda old so it sometimes overheats and shuts down so is there any option to just make it go into sleep mode? submitted by /u/Zaphl1 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/i6grjx/is_there_any_setting_for_a_laptop_to_go_into/
  4. Computer shuts down when in sleep mode overnight

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Computer shuts down when in sleep mode overnight: Has happened 3 nights now, after the late February update. Has anyone else experienced this? submitted by /u/Penuwana [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/fgqi3w/computer_shuts_down_when_in_sleep_mode_overnight/
  5. BSOD on restart and PC shuts down when it's supposed to go to sleep

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    BSOD on restart and PC shuts down when it's supposed to go to sleep: Hey everyone, I have lately been having a couple of minor problems on my PC: 1) Whenever I try to restart my PC, I encounter the BSOD "System thread exception not handled." I have looked for help online already, but the suggestions of making sure all my device...
  6. Computer Randomly shutting down or going into sleep mode.

Computer Randomly shutting down or going into sleep mode.: I have tried following the troubleshooting steps online and nothing seems to be working. I have included an error code I get when it happens sometimes. Really apprecaite the assistance, Kilen[IMG]...
  7. Laptop Getting shut down when in sleep mode

Laptop Getting shut down when in sleep mode: hi, there's been a little issue with my laptop's power settings, i suppose. My laptop gets shut down when i close my lid to put to sleep mode. however it doesn't gets shut down within 1 hour or so but gets shut after more than 4-5 hrs. this doesn't happen to my brothers...
  8. Laptop shuts down when put into sleep mode

Laptop shuts down when put into sleep mode: Hi all first time poster, So I'm having a major problem that I can't seem to fix. When I close the lid of my laptop, put it into sleep mode, or put it into hibernation mode, the laptop basically shuts down. The power light flashes on and off, but when I reopen the lid or...
  9. System shuts down when in sleep mode

System shuts down when in sleep mode: I really am not sure where to even look. I upgraded from 8.1 to 10 and had no problems for a while until I began using sleep mode. About every night or two when in sleep mode, my system shuts down. I'm not here when it does so I don't see a blue screen and appear to have no...
  10. PC shutting down incorrectly/not going to sleep when put in sleep mode

PC shutting down incorrectly/not going to sleep when put in sleep mode: My computer keeps shutting down after I put it into sleep mode, then when i start it back up it says that it shut down incorrectly. This does not happen all the time, only sporadically. Other times it will not go into sleep mode altogether! Interesting, I had this problem...