Windows 10: desktop icon missing from user folder

Discus and support desktop icon missing from user folder in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello! I'm having an issue with the desktop folder icon always disappearing from the user folder. The desktop folder is there but just as a plain... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by clone1994, Mar 27, 2020.

1. clone1994 Win User

desktop icon missing from user folder

Hello!

I'm having an issue with the desktop folder icon always disappearing from the user folder. The desktop folder is there but just as a plain folder. Found the post by Shawn Brink on how to check the desktop.ini file and that is good. Oddly enough I had a similar issue with is in W7 and I ran the bat file also by Shawn on restoring the desktop user folder location and it resets the icon issue I'm having now but only temporarily.

Suggestions? Registry keys to check/restore.

OS build 17763.1098

Thanks

:)

clone1994, Mar 27, 2020
  2. Mussels Win User

Removing desktop icons

the icons are located in 'all users' folder somewhere (for example, i see a few shared icons in "C:\Users\Public\Desktop" )

The only way to fix those, is to remove the icons from there, and place them on to each users desktops manually. an admin may need to do this.

Mussels, Mar 27, 2020
  3. sturpe Win User
    Cannot find Desktop Icon in File Explorer

Now that is interesting. If I do what you suggest, File Explorer Address bar changes to C:\Users\username\documents and the missing ICONS are there. But there is still not a "Desktop" folder.

Is this a step in the right direction?

sturpe, Mar 27, 2020
  4. desktop icon missing from user folder

Missing Desktop Icon Text

You can't rename or even create new folders, etc ... The icons are there I just took a screenshot to show what I was talking about. The icons are unclickable

Morrison5891, Mar 27, 2020
Thema:

desktop icon missing from user folder

1. desktop icon missing from user folder - Similar Threads - desktop icon missing

2. Desktop Icon and folder missing and replace with new icon

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop Icon and folder missing and replace with new icon: After I restart my Windows 10 pro, all my icons, file and folder keep in desktop were missing and it show other software icons. I go check my desktop folder C:\Users\yourusername\Desktop\myloginname, all my icons, file and folder is there but it not shown in my desktop. Why...
  3. Missing User Account Desktop Folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Missing User Account Desktop Folder: I bought a new PC with Windows 11 already installed. When I tried to save something to my user folder's desktop folder, it does not exist:I found out it is using my OneDrive desktop folder. I tried adding a desktop folder to the user account, reboot, but it still uses the...
  4. Missing User Account Desktop Folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Missing User Account Desktop Folder: I bought a new PC with Windows 11 already installed. When I tried to save something to my user folder's desktop folder, it does not exist:I found out it is using my OneDrive desktop folder. I tried adding a desktop folder to the user account, reboot, but it still uses the...
  5. Desktop Icons Missing From Desktop Folder

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop Icons Missing From Desktop Folder: I was just starting to back up my C-drive important files in Windows 10 when I realized that there are several desktop folders, including a OneDrive folder, and all of them are missing several desktop icons. I have read read different threads on this subject and tried a...
  6. Some missing desktop icons and folders

Some missing desktop icons and folders: I had a shock a few days ago when I switched on my PC Windows 10 +all updates and booted up to the desktop. Instead of the usual 10 or so Icons, there were only 5 Icons. Even worse, when I started Windows Explorer, I found that My Documents was completely empty. Not a single...
  7. desktop icons folders missing

desktop icons folders missing: I accidently pushed something all my icons on desktop are not visible https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-icons-folders-missing/527a04e5-6679-4ef3-9c15-69ae680eed23
  8. Missing folders and icons from desktop screen

in Windows 10 Support
    Missing folders and icons from desktop screen: Hello, I have a problem, after uninstalling Blizzard launcher, some of my desktop folders and icons disappeared. I don't know what happened, everything worked until then. Can anyone help me, please? 141013
  9. Missing Desktop link in user folder ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Missing Desktop link in user folder ?: Please can anyone help me with a small problem ? if I right click on my music icon in explorer I can change the location of its contents in the location tab which I was trying to do, as I have my Mp3s in a music folder on my D Drive. whilst trying to do that I...
  10. Missing folders from the "User's File" folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Missing folders from the "User's File" folder: This is weird. I've just done a clean install of Win10Pro64 (as I have many times before) and I have something odd happening with the "User's File" folder icon on the desktop (put there from desktop>personalise>themes>desktop-icon-settings). When I open up my user files...