Windows 10: Desktop icon order always reverts after a reboot/shutdown

Discus and support Desktop icon order always reverts after a reboot/shutdown in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Windows 10 refuses to remember my desktop icon order, any time I move the icons around it just goes back to where they were on the next reboot. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/SmoothObservator, Sep 8, 2020.

1. Desktop icon order always reverts after a reboot/shutdown

Windows 10 refuses to remember my desktop icon order, any time I move the icons around it just goes back to where they were on the next reboot. I already tried deleting the icon cache file and it didn't help.

submitted by /u/SmoothObservator
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/SmoothObservator, Sep 8, 2020

2. Desktop Shutdown and Standby/Hibernate Icons

I discovered some time ago a simple means of adding two desktop icons to cover Shutdown and Standby/Hibernate. I now use these icons all the time as it avoids using the Start procedure, which I never use at all unless I wish to Restart immediately after shutdown. Even then, I tend to use my desktop icons. Just close the browser, click the desktop icon and it is done.

On your desktop, right click the free space, then click new shortcut, you get a Wizard, copy/paste the command for the location type from one of the below commands (in this case, %windir%\System32\rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState ). Then click Next. You are asked to give it a title - Standby, Hibernate or Shutdown, I suggest using "Standby/Hibernate", click Finish.

Shutdown: %windir%\System32\shutdown.exe -s
    Reboot: %windir%\System32\shutdown.exe -r
    Logoff: %windir%\System32\shutdown.exe -l
    Standby: %windir%\System32\rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState
    Hibernate: %windir%\System32\rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState Hibernate
    I have listed Hibernate for reference only, as the Hibernate desktop icon does not work for systems reasons, Hibernate can only be achieved by manually using the Power Options properties panel.

Use CNTRL+C to copy and CNTRL+V to paste.

Hibernate is automatic if the Hibernate box is checked in the Power Options properties panel. If the box is not checked, then Standby is automatic. You have to select this box to give you the option you want.

Standby is more convenient if you are using the PC constantly, it is a quicker recovery, but has a power trickle. For long periods of absence, use Hibernate, it is much slower in recovering, but effectively shuts your computer down.

The Power options panel is found by Control Panel>Power Options>Hibernate.

The two desktop icons created can be changed by Right clicking the icon then Properties>Change icon>Browse>Windows 32>shell32dll>select icon>OK>Apply>OK
    You now have two brand new icons on your desktop for Shutdown and Standby/Hibernate. It works a treat.

My icons are :-

Desktop icon order always reverts after a reboot/shutdown Desktopicons-1.png

Bald Eagle, Sep 8, 2020
  3. Desktop Icons Won't Stay Put

Hi Laurie,

As per the issue description I understand that you are facing issues with desktop icons.

I suggest you try the following step in order to arrange the icons.

• Right click on the desktop.
    • Click on view
    • Check the option auto arrange icons.
    Let us know if this helps.

Thanks.

Divya Murugan, Sep 8, 2020
  4. Desktop icon order always reverts after a reboot/shutdown

Desktop Shutdown and Standby/Hibernate Icons

Thanks for the input, but it is not a matter of clicks or being bothered about anything or using whatever you like. I have posted this option for consideration by any user who may be interested.

I know all the alternatives like the back of my hand, but personally favour the desktop icons as more attractive, convenient and certainly much quicker. They are MY best choice. If others beg to differ, then be my guest, it is a free world. It is an interest post NOT an argumentative topic. If you do not like it, then pass on bye.

By the way who clicks these icons TWICE ? I certainly do not, I never click anything twice, since I have configured my Windows XP to use only ONE click for any icon I have and I have lots of them.

Finally, whoever uses the Power button to shutdown ? Crashing the Power button does not shut down Windows and all the programs properly and is a ham-fisted and reckless suggestion. This is elementary to PC operations and is only done in emergency. You should know this.

PLEASE ! I am not prepared to argue about this proposal, if you think it is rubbish, then just move on and ignore it. The OP is intended to be informative NOT argumentative.

Bald Eagle, Sep 8, 2020
Thema:

Desktop icon order always reverts after a reboot/shutdown

1. Desktop icon order always reverts after a reboot/shutdown - Similar Threads - Desktop icon order

2. Desktop icons in alphabetical order

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop icons in alphabetical order: Continuation of: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-icons-in-alphabetical-order/51ec5e2d-7dd2-499d-ac76-d7f1c29418a8This issue has dragged on for decades with the Windows desktop. I get having the "name space" icons in a separate top line group, but...
  3. Desktop icons in alphabetical order

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop icons in alphabetical order: Continuation of: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-icons-in-alphabetical-order/51ec5e2d-7dd2-499d-ac76-d7f1c29418a8This issue has dragged on for decades with the Windows desktop. I get having the "name space" icons in a separate top line group, but...
  4. Why desktop icon on Windows 11 always mixed after reboot only Medium icon

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why desktop icon on Windows 11 always mixed after reboot only Medium icon: Hi,As the title said, when I set it to Small icon it won't happen, the icon only mixed when it is Medium icon. Can anyone tell me the solution?Thanks...
  5. Why desktop icon on Windows 11 always mixed after reboot only Medium icon

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why desktop icon on Windows 11 always mixed after reboot only Medium icon: Hi,As the title said, when I set it to Small icon it won't happen, the icon only mixed when it is Medium icon. Can anyone tell me the solution?Thanks...
  6. Desktop icons rearranging themselves after reboot

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop icons rearranging themselves after reboot: I'm on Windows 10 2004 Update Build 19041.746 This started happening recently, my desktop icons is always rearranging themselves after every restart. i have arranged them many times as i need and whenever i restart, they comeback to the weird arranging. Auto arrange...
  7. Desktop icon reverting its position after a shutdown/restart

Desktop icon reverting its position after a shutdown/restart: I had a fresh installation of Windows recently on my SSD, and for the past days the desktop icon i have placed and positioned comfortably just kept reverting to their original locations when they were installed instead of the locations that i've placed them in....
  8. Desktop icons moving after reboot

Desktop icons moving after reboot: A user has two monitors, one 1920 res primary and the other 1280x1040 secondary. He moves all his icons to where he wants on the desktop and then after a reboot they all move back to the way they were. I have made sure Windows 10 is full up to date and on the latest...
  9. Desktop icons always revert to previous order

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Desktop icons always revert to previous order: Anytime I reorder the desktop icons after a reboot they will go back to the previous order after a reboot. Also when downloading or copying files to the desktop they always end up in the top left corner above My Computer instead of after the last icon on the right. submitted...
  10. Order of desktop icons?

in Windows 10 Support
    Order of desktop icons?: I have my desktop icons on this new Win 10 PC set to sort by Name. But they are not! [img] Why is that? Is there something obvious that I'm missing? And, supposing they were all sorted exactly by name, does that mean you'd view them by column? IOW, say A-M in the...