Windows 10: Desktop icon reverting its position after a shutdown/restart

Discus and support Desktop icon reverting its position after a shutdown/restart in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I had a fresh installation of Windows recently on my SSD, and for the past days the desktop icon i have placed and positioned comfortably just kept... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Hart_E_Le_T, Oct 24, 2020.

1. Desktop icon reverting its position after a shutdown/restart

I had a fresh installation of Windows recently on my SSD, and for the past days the desktop icon i have placed and positioned comfortably just kept reverting to their original locations when they were installed instead of the locations that i've placed them in.

:)

Hart_E_Le_T, Oct 24, 2020

2. Desktop Shutdown and Standby/Hibernate Icons

I discovered some time ago a simple means of adding two desktop icons to cover Shutdown and Standby/Hibernate. I now use these icons all the time as it avoids using the Start procedure, which I never use at all unless I wish to Restart immediately after shutdown. Even then, I tend to use my desktop icons. Just close the browser, click the desktop icon and it is done.

On your desktop, right click the free space, then click new shortcut, you get a Wizard, copy/paste the command for the location type from one of the below commands (in this case, %windir%\System32\rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState ). Then click Next. You are asked to give it a title - Standby, Hibernate or Shutdown, I suggest using "Standby/Hibernate", click Finish.

Shutdown: %windir%\System32\shutdown.exe -s
    Reboot: %windir%\System32\shutdown.exe -r
    Logoff: %windir%\System32\shutdown.exe -l
    Standby: %windir%\System32\rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState
    Hibernate: %windir%\System32\rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState Hibernate
    I have listed Hibernate for reference only, as the Hibernate desktop icon does not work for systems reasons, Hibernate can only be achieved by manually using the Power Options properties panel.

Use CNTRL+C to copy and CNTRL+V to paste.

Hibernate is automatic if the Hibernate box is checked in the Power Options properties panel. If the box is not checked, then Standby is automatic. You have to select this box to give you the option you want.

Standby is more convenient if you are using the PC constantly, it is a quicker recovery, but has a power trickle. For long periods of absence, use Hibernate, it is much slower in recovering, but effectively shuts your computer down.

The Power options panel is found by Control Panel>Power Options>Hibernate.

The two desktop icons created can be changed by Right clicking the icon then Properties>Change icon>Browse>Windows 32>shell32dll>select icon>OK>Apply>OK
    You now have two brand new icons on your desktop for Shutdown and Standby/Hibernate. It works a treat.

My icons are :-

Desktop icon reverting its position after a shutdown/restart Desktopicons-1.png

Bald Eagle, Oct 24, 2020
  3. Argel Obm Win User
    How to prevent desktop icons from changing positions

Hi Stephen,

There are various reasons why you're experiencing the issue. Let us isolate your concern by enabling the
    Auto arrange icons option, and then disabling it to see if the issue will persist. To do this follow these steps:

• Go to the Desktop screen, and then right click anywhere.
    • Hover your mouse on View.
    • Select Auto arrange icons.
    • Restart the computer.
    • After restarting the computer, check if your Desktop icons are still in the right position after clicking the
      Auto arrange icons option.
    • If your Desktop icons are in the right position, repeat steps 1-3 to disable the
      Auto arrange icons option.
    • Customize the position of your Desktop icons.
    • Restart the computer.
    • After restarting the computer, check if the issue will occur.

We'll be waiting for your response.

Argel Obm, Oct 24, 2020
  4. Desktop icon reverting its position after a shutdown/restart

Desktop Shutdown and Standby/Hibernate Icons

Thanks for the input, but it is not a matter of clicks or being bothered about anything or using whatever you like. I have posted this option for consideration by any user who may be interested.

I know all the alternatives like the back of my hand, but personally favour the desktop icons as more attractive, convenient and certainly much quicker. They are MY best choice. If others beg to differ, then be my guest, it is a free world. It is an interest post NOT an argumentative topic. If you do not like it, then pass on bye.

By the way who clicks these icons TWICE ? I certainly do not, I never click anything twice, since I have configured my Windows XP to use only ONE click for any icon I have and I have lots of them.

Finally, whoever uses the Power button to shutdown ? Crashing the Power button does not shut down Windows and all the programs properly and is a ham-fisted and reckless suggestion. This is elementary to PC operations and is only done in emergency. You should know this.

PLEASE ! I am not prepared to argue about this proposal, if you think it is rubbish, then just move on and ignore it. The OP is intended to be informative NOT argumentative.

Bald Eagle, Oct 24, 2020
Thema:

Desktop icon reverting its position after a shutdown/restart

1. Desktop icon reverting its position after a shutdown/restart - Similar Threads - Desktop icon reverting

2. Desktop icon position fix

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop icon position fix: Hello to everyone,I am using Windows 11 Pro version 22H2.My desktop icons often get messed up when I'm operating on my computer.For example, when I copy and paste a file on the desktop, the new file is added to the top left corner. Sometimes I get confused in finding my new...
  3. Windows 11 desktop icons revert to previous position after restart.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 desktop icons revert to previous position after restart.: Dual Monitor setup, just switched to Windows 11, RTX2070 Super, have checked and tried almost every bit of advice I could find apart from downloading desktop management programs.Icons just will not stay in place after a restart and it's infuriating as I have quite a few and...
  4. Windows 11 desktop icons revert to previous position after restart.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 desktop icons revert to previous position after restart.: Dual Monitor setup, just switched to Windows 11, RTX2070 Super, have checked and tried almost every bit of advice I could find apart from downloading desktop management programs.Icons just will not stay in place after a restart and it's infuriating as I have quite a few and...
  5. Some desktop icons not retaining their positions after restart

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Some desktop icons not retaining their positions after restart: I'm in the middle of doing a few updates and troubleshooting steps for a couple unrelated issues, and this has cropped up in the process of doing so; whenever I restart my computer now, the icons on my desktop are always in the same location. See that smoothies.txt popped out...
  6. Desktop Icons not saving position after restart

Desktop Icons not saving position after restart: Whenever I try to position my desktop icons the way I would like, after a restart the icons go back to some strange position. Does anyone know how to resolve this issue? submitted by /u/Traase [link] [comments]...
  7. Desktop icon order always reverts after a reboot/shutdown

Desktop icon order always reverts after a reboot/shutdown: Windows 10 refuses to remember my desktop icon order, any time I move the icons around it just goes back to where they were on the next reboot. I already tried deleting the icon cache file and it didn't help. submitted by /u/SmoothObservator [link] [comments]...
  8. Desktop Icons changing position

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop Icons changing position: Running WIN10 home Every so often my desktop flashes and some of my icons have changed position. Can anyone explain t his and how I can stop it? Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-icons-changing-position/934e8501-fdfb-46d0-998d-3b15d4dc677a
  9. Desktop icon positions

Desktop icon positions: Currently my desktop icons are on a fixed grid. I would like to change them back to a custom grid where I can control their position relative to each other. How do I get rid of the fixed grid?...
  10. Lock desktop icons positions?

Lock desktop icons positions?: I occasionally move the mouse pointer across the desktop and inadvertently drag icons to new positions. Is there a command or a feature that locks the desktop icons in place and can snap them back into position when this occurs? 86732