Windows 10: Desktop Icon Setting not saved after Windows Update

Discus and support Desktop Icon Setting not saved after Windows Update in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi.. Guys.. Recently my PC just started to have some weird problem. Everytime after I restarted my PC or just restarted explorer.exe, my desktop... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Kanuki, Sep 11, 2015.

1. Kanuki Win User

Desktop Icon Setting not saved after Windows Update

Hi.. Guys..

Recently my PC just started to have some weird problem.
    Everytime after I restarted my PC or just restarted explorer.exe,
    my desktop icon reset from small size to medium and sorting
    order also reset. Besides I also noticed that in every folder
    view settings also reset.

The reason why I suspected it caused by one of the updates
    because I just formatted my PC. Everything was normal in
    the beginning but after I updated the windows. The exact problem
    came back.

Do you guys have any idea which update may be causing this?

:)

Kanuki, Sep 11, 2015
  2. r057 Win User

Desktop icon lock/unlock???

This desktop lock feature is very good (Windows 10)

However, is it really effective?

1/

did re-position a desktop icon after doing the "lock" set..

Restart the computer.

the icon does not revert to the saved "lock" position

2/

another occasion after "lock" set

Windows found some error and did a restart

all the desktop icons reverted to a jumble

3. Word Icons move on the desktop to the far left after the file was edited and saved

Information in this post might help.

File Icons change position on desktop after editing.. - Microsoft Community

I'm copying the solution posted by "Jami" here.

MS Word uses a feature called "Background Saving". You can search about it yourself, but simply, it supposedly helps speed up the time it takes to save larger documents. After I "disabled" this setting, I made changes to my document, then saved, and
    voila!... the icon stayed where it originally was. Try it for yourself. I found it within the Advanced Options settings. Let me know if this helps you since you are using different version OS and MS OFFICE.

Ramesh Srinivasan, Sep 11, 2015
  4. Cliff S New Member

Desktop Icon Setting not saved after Windows Update [​IMG]

Cliff S, Sep 11, 2015
  5. Kanuki Win User
    Thank you so much.... but it did not solve my problem.

The desktop icons still kept returning to medium size and
    re-arranged everytime I restarted my PC or restarted explorer.exe.

I'm trying to uninstall the update one-by-one to see whether which
    one causing this problem.

Kanuki, Sep 12, 2015
  6. crill333 Win User
    Hi!

I got the same thing. After you kill "explorer.exe" the desktop layout resets to standard. *Sad

Hope it will be fixed in next update! *Zip

crill333, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Desktop Icon Setting not saved after Windows Update - Similar Threads - Desktop Icon Setting

2. Desktop Icons not saving position after restart

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Desktop Icons not saving position after restart: Whenever I try to position my desktop icons the way I would like, after a restart the icons go back to some strange position. Does anyone know how to resolve this issue? submitted by /u/Traase [link] [comments]...
  3. Desktop icon after installation/update

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop icon after installation/update: Is there a way to prevent programs to add their shortcut to the desktop after installing/updating when you cant untick the option? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-icon-after-installationupdate/14be3433-7448-43ab-8715-b0a330b2aab3
  4. Desktop icon arrangement not saving after restart.

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop icon arrangement not saving after restart.: Hi, every time i rearrange desktop icon after restarting or shutting down it keeps back for the previous arrangement. My problem is same as this Windows 10: Folder View Settings and Desktop Icon Positions Not Saving I already use the autofix it works but only one time use....
  5. Saving Desktop Icons

in Windows 10 Support
    Saving Desktop Icons: Hi, I would like to save my Desktop Icons positions, without using a 3rd party app like DesktopOK. I've read somewhere that if you open a .txt file, enter something, close the window, but don't click Save, leave that window open, then Log off, Windows will prompt you to save...
  6. Desktop icons settings

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop icons settings: I like to place a Computer / This PC on my desktop. one of my main reasons for this is the ability to right click the icon to access Manage. For some unknown reason, while Manage is still on the the right click menu, nothing happens when I click on it. Any ideas?...
  7. Desktop icons not working after update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Desktop icons not working after update: So, my computer updated while I was sleeping. When I went to get on it, it was messed up. First, an error kept popping up and making my screen go black. The error was system 32 could not find desktop. Second, the update deleted all my files, applications, and even...
  8. desktop icons gone after update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    desktop icons gone after update: I want to ask why after a update windows 10 home version 1709 build 16.299.785 my icons are gone from the desktop and 1 icon came back on my taskbar, and when I click that all does come back....this is so weird, can you help me to resolve this. thank you...
  9. Windows 10: Folder View Settings and Desktop Icon Positions Not Saving

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10: Folder View Settings and Desktop Icon Positions Not Saving: Hi everyone, I seem to be having 2 issues with Windows 10 Pro x64 that occur simultaneously. The 2 issues are that my desktop icon positions are not being remembered (always shifting to the left after reboot - auto align is off) and my folder view settings are not being...
  10. saving desktop icons

in Windows 10 Support
    saving desktop icons: Sorry if this has been asked before I missed it. My number one gripe with with windows 10 is my icons get messed up. Is there a way to save desktop icon positions, or a program that will do this. 57961