Windows 10: "Desktop icon settings" does not work anymore

Discus and support "Desktop icon settings" does not work anymore in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; In Settings > Themes I used to be able to click "Desktop icon settings". But no more. Now I get "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by margrave55, Aug 31, 2019.

1. "Desktop icon settings" does not work anymore

In Settings > Themes I used to be able to click "Desktop icon settings".
    But no more. Now I get "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item".

I first discovered this on my laptop, which was recently punished with 1903. I thought the new version reset my desktop icons (This PC, Documents, etc.), so I wanted to change things back ... and failed.

On my desktop (deemed "not ready" for 1903) I'm running 1809. It gives the same failure ... and I am unable to access "Desktop icon settings".

Whuzzup with that? What can I do to fix this?

:)

margrave55, Aug 31, 2019

2. Remove Linux Desktop Icons

I am not sure whether this will work (Ubuntu does not have icons like that on the desktop by default), but I suggest opening the trash bin and sweeping the icons into the window showing the trash bin.

Peter1986C, Aug 31, 2019
  3. Desktop Icons

Hello Glenda,

Share this information to assist you better.

• Is the issue particular to the Comcast?
    • Have you installed all the pending updates?
    • Did you try changing icons of other shortcuts?
    Follow the steps and check if it helps:

Step 1: Press Windows+I to open Settings panel, and click
    Personalization to access Personalization settings.

Step 2: Tap Change desktop icons on the top left in the Personalization window.

Step 3: In the Desktop Icon Settings window, select the icon of
    This PC and click Change Icon.

Step 4: Choose a new icon from the list, and tap OK.

Step 5: Click OK to confirm the change.

Let us know the status of the issue.

Rakesh Narayanaswamy, Aug 31, 2019
  4. "Desktop icon settings" does not work anymore

Desktop Icons Won't Stay Put

Hi Laurie,

As per the issue description I understand that you are facing issues with desktop icons.

I suggest you try the following step in order to arrange the icons.

• Right click on the desktop.
    • Click on view
    • Check the option auto arrange icons.
    Let us know if this helps.

Thanks.

Divya Murugan, Aug 31, 2019
Thema:

"Desktop icon settings" does not work anymore

1. "Desktop icon settings" does not work anymore - Similar Threads - Desktop icon settings

2. settings and search not working anymore.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    settings and search not working anymore.: i noticed 3 days ago that that my settings app no longer opens, it just flashes in screen when i click, and trying in to troubleshoot that i discovered that Search also does not respond at all. my computer has been set to automatically apply updates so I do not know for sure...
  3. settings and search not working anymore.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    settings and search not working anymore.: i noticed 3 days ago that that my settings app no longer opens, it just flashes in screen when i click, and trying in to troubleshoot that i discovered that Search also does not respond at all. my computer has been set to automatically apply updates so I do not know for sure...
  4. settings and search not working anymore.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. New PC set up, Wlan Stick does not work anymore

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New PC set up, Wlan Stick does not work anymore: Hello Community,I set up my PC anew, because my mouse did not work properly. Turned out the hardware of the mouse itself was likely the problem. After receiving my new mouse i restarted the PC. Now everything is okay, apart from that i can not connect to WiFi. The display...
  6. New PC set up, Wlan Stick does not work anymore

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    New PC set up, Wlan Stick does not work anymore: Hello Community,I set up my PC anew, because my mouse did not work properly. Turned out the hardware of the mouse itself was likely the problem. After receiving my new mouse i restarted the PC. Now everything is okay, apart from that i can not connect to WiFi. The display...
  7. Network icon not working anymore

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Network icon not working anymore: I have a wonky internet connection so I really like to see how things are going by the small icon that is either Pc like or globe like. However my pc has been always showing the no internet icon no matter what my connection is actually like. What are things that could cause...
  8. the desktop sound icon does not work

in Windows 10 Customization
    the desktop sound icon does not work: the icon for sound on my task bar does not work https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-desktop-sound-icon-does-not-work/adf08a8f-a54b-4c25-9889-70a78bc6911c
  9. Desktop icons settings

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop icons settings: I like to place a Computer / This PC on my desktop. one of my main reasons for this is the ability to right click the icon to access Manage. For some unknown reason, while Manage is still on the the right click menu, nothing happens when I click on it. Any ideas?...
  10. Desktop icons don't work anymore after update of Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Desktop icons don't work anymore after update of Windows 10: I just did the windows 10 update to version 1703. OS build 15063.413 on my wife's PC, now when she clicks on previously working icons/shortcuts, a window comes up: windows can not find (name of url) I do not recall that happen when I did the upgrade on my PC.. I...