Windows 10: Desktop Icon Shortcut Overlay Randomly Changing

Discus and support Desktop Icon Shortcut Overlay Randomly Changing in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hello everyone, I'm running into a bug that is obscure, driving me nuts, and taken many hours of my time trying to find a fix. On Windows 10 Home,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by CaptKornDog1, Nov 4, 2020.

1. Desktop Icon Shortcut Overlay Randomly Changing

Hello everyone,

I'm running into a bug that is obscure, driving me nuts, and taken many hours of my time trying to find a fix. On Windows 10 Home, the shortcut overlay image on my desktop icons routinely changes every few minutes to a variety of icons, a small handful of some examples in the image attached. Is there anyone that may be able to help me? Being slightly obsessive about my computer and its organization, this behavior is annoying me quite a bit. I'm also the only user account on my computer. Some things I've tried so far:

1. Refreshing the desktop restores the original shortcut overlay, but only for a few minutes.

2. Norton Backup and subsequent overlay status is disabled; I don't use Norton Backup anyway.

3. I don't use OneDrive and it is uninstalled from what I can see. I don't use Dropbox or any file Sync software either.

4. Performed a sfc /scannow, running Command Prompt as an Admin. Resets the correct overlays for a few minutes only to exhibit the same beavhior later.

5. Rebuilt IconCache.db via "attrib -h "%LocalAppData%\IconCache.db" && del "%LocalAppData%\IconCache.db" && taskkill /IM explorer.exe /F && timeout /T 1 && explorer.exe" running Command Prompt as an Admin.

6. Manually deleted IconCache.db for it to rebuild.

7. Performed Windows Updates, no new patches to download.

8. Change desktop themes.

Performed restarts in between each of the steps above also. I'm also not running any kind of Windows Aero or tweaking software, nothing like that at least that I'm aware of, and can't attribute this behavior to any recent software installations.

Any help or advice at all would be most appreciate. Thank you so much! Hope everyone is staying healthy and well.

Desktop Icon Shortcut Overlay Randomly Changing 43b2f58a-242e-47ce-97ac-38a16bd49257?upload=true.png

:)

CaptKornDog1, Nov 4, 2020
  2. voldemarz Win User

BUG: Desktop shortcut icons, overlay keeps changing

I have this issue as well. Shortcut icon overlays sometimes disappear, sometimes change to some other icon. I tried running dism and sfc commands, but they didn't find any issues.

I have 2 applications that have custom overlays - Dropbox and TortoiseSVN. They were not causing issues on Windows 7 / 8, so I don't think they suddenly are an issue. Also I had
    Stadock Fences 2
    desktop organization software (also used before on Win 7/8), I though it might be an issue, but after disabling it, issues with shortcut overlays remained.

Windows 10 was installed as clean install, not upgrade.

When shortcut overlays are missing, opening right-mouse context menu on desktop and choosing "refresh" brings them back.

voldemarz, Nov 4, 2020
  3. hurleyp Win User

The problem seems to be fixed (at least partially) when I disable automatic start of OneDrive. I say partially because while the icon overlays aren't changing at random, the overlay still seems to alternate between the standard shortcut arrow and no overlay.
    But at least there isn't a near continuous changing to random overlays.

I'm on Win10 Pro/64, version 1703.

hurleyp, Nov 4, 2020
  4. doc289456 Win User

Desktop Icon Shortcut Overlay Randomly Changing

I have the exact same issue.

I think its definitely related to these 2 apps. Onedrive & Dropbox.

If both apps are open, desktop shortcut overlay icons change

If I close one of the apps - icons keep changing, but slower (less frequent)

If both apps are closed - icons stop changing

I would like to know how to fix this, as I use both apps.

doc289456, Nov 4, 2020
Thema:

Desktop Icon Shortcut Overlay Randomly Changing

1. Desktop Icon Shortcut Overlay Randomly Changing - Similar Threads - Desktop Icon Shortcut

2. How to move OneDrive icon overlay not to hide Shortcut overlay?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to move OneDrive icon overlay not to hide Shortcut overlay?: I'd like to uniquely identify the shortcuts vs actual files. Until OneDrive, the small arrow overlay was helpful. Now the OneDrive 'sync status' is overlaid on top so every icon looks the same.Is there a solution?...
  3. How to move OneDrive icon overlay not to hide Shortcut overlay?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to move OneDrive icon overlay not to hide Shortcut overlay?: I'd like to uniquely identify the shortcuts vs actual files. Until OneDrive, the small arrow overlay was helpful. Now the OneDrive 'sync status' is overlaid on top so every icon looks the same.Is there a solution?...
  4. Issue with desktop shortcut icons and overlays

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Issue with desktop shortcut icons and overlays: Hi everyone, I am facing an issue with shortcuts icons and overlays. Basically when I refresh the desktop right click and refresh, the shortcut icons would refresh and reappear very quickly, but only the overlays the small arrow marks would delay to reappear by 1 second or...
  5. Issue with desktop shortcut icons and overlays

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Issue with desktop shortcut icons and overlays: Hi everyone, I am facing an issue with shortcuts icons and overlays. Basically when I refresh the desktop right click and refresh, the shortcut icons would refresh and reappear very quickly, but only the overlays the small arrow marks would delay to reappear by 1 second or...
  6. Random icon overlays

in Windows 10 Customization
    Random icon overlays: I'm using just a very simple desktop which I've configured to look like Windows XP, so it is not complicated. I use shortcuts on my desktop and they should be showing an overlay a little northeast arrow indicating the icon is a shortcut. A few times daily, randomly, it...
  7. Desktop Icon Shortcut Overlay Randomly Changing

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Desktop Icon Shortcut Overlay Randomly Changing: [ATTACH] Hello everyone, I'm running into a bug that is obscure, driving me nuts, and sucked many hours of my time. On Windows 10 Home, the shortcut overlay image on my desktop icons routinely changes (every few minutes) to a variety of icons, a small handful of some...
  8. Changing Desktop Shortcut Icons

in Windows 10 Support
    Changing Desktop Shortcut Icons: I have a new computer just 8 days old. I run Windows 10 ver. 1909 and have an office 365 subscription. 2 days ago Windows Update installed its updates and then Office 365 tried to update and it crashed. This has happened to me before a while back on another computer and the...
  9. Shortcut Overlays appearing on non-shortcut icons on desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    Shortcut Overlays appearing on non-shortcut icons on desktop: Hello, I recently purchased a new Windows 10 laptop, and it has an odd issue which my old Windows 10 machine didn't... All the icons on the desktop (except the Recycle Bin) are showing shortcut overlays (little blue arrows on the lower-left corner of the icon) - whether...
  10. White folder overlays on desktop folder shortcut icons

in Windows 10 Support
    White folder overlays on desktop folder shortcut icons: [img] It happened suddenly, today. I have 4 shortcuts on my desktop which I use to quickly save files to the various folders. I selected the Icons to make them look good and distinguish between them. After an upgrade they displayed white overlays which add nothing to their...