Windows 10: desktop icon shortcuts not working

Discus and support desktop icon shortcuts not working in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; had to uninstall Avast protection and cleanup due to compatibility issues with windows 10 update. After removing it now some of my icons on my desktop... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by qttire1, Dec 3, 2019 at 10:57 AM.

1. qttire1 Win User

desktop icon shortcuts not working

had to uninstall Avast protection and cleanup due to compatibility issues with windows 10 update. After removing it now some of my icons on my desktop do not work. they say "windows cant find (path name) make sure you type the name correctly then try again.

It is for all the programs that the Avast cleanup stored in its system. I tried uninstalling google chrome and reinstalling but same thing. Some shortcuts in the icon are blank and some are populated but still don't work. Any help would be much apprecieated.

:)

2. Desktop Shortcut Icons

Hi Mik-Dav,

The desktop shortcut created for a specific website should bear the website's actual logo. With what you've experienced, there could be something wrong with how the shortcut was created.

If you've created the shortcut by selecting Create shortcut, then we suggest that you try the other way, that is by dragging the website icon that appears in the address bar to your desktop. Follow these steps:

• Using Internet Explorer, access a website.
    • Once the website opens, you will see its icon in the address bar.
    • Click and drag the icon on your desktop.

The website shortcut bearing its actual logo should now be saved on your desktop.

Let us know if you need further help.

Regards.

3. Desktop Shortcut Icons

I tried using Edge that comes with the computer and I can see the logo you are talking about. When I try to drag it to the desktop you can see that I have it but as soon as I drop it the window opens rather than putting the shortcut icon on the desktop.

mik-dav 1500, Dec 3, 2019 at 11:05 AM
  4. desktop icon shortcuts not working

Remove Linux Desktop Icons

I am not sure whether this will work (Ubuntu does not have icons like that on the desktop by default), but I suggest opening the trash bin and sweeping the icons into the window showing the trash bin.

Thema:

desktop icon shortcuts not working

1. desktop icon shortcuts not working - Similar Threads - desktop icon shortcuts

2. Desktop Shortcut icons dissapeared

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop Shortcut icons dissapeared: Hi Everyone. My problem is I have lost all desktop shortcut icons on my windows 10, how do I retrieve this page? its normally when the pc starts up, then I click into them. Some one help me please, its driving me crazy. Thank you....
  3. Desktop Shortcut Icons

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Desktop Shortcut Icons: Hello, Recently I noticed some small icons added over my desktop shortcuts. The icons were always clean, I even managed to remove the arrows once. Now there is over them sort of couple of human figures, as on attached screenshot. How to remove it so the icons will be clean...
  4. Desktop Shortcut Icons

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop Shortcut Icons: Hello, Recently I noticed some small icons added over my desktop shortcuts. The icons were always clean, I even managed to remove the arrows once. Now there is over them sort of couple of human figures, as on attached screenshot. How to remove it so the icons will be clean...
  5. US Bank icon for desktop shortcut.

in Windows 10 Customization
    US Bank icon for desktop shortcut.: I can't find an icon file for my bank desktop shortcut (looking for US Bank). Lots of images, but no .ico files. Thanks! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_desk/us-bank-icon-for-desktop-shortcut/147a1aad-6457-4a01-b07c-59ab8b6b3b97
  6. Changing Web Shortcut Icons on Desktop

in Browsers and Email
    Changing Web Shortcut Icons on Desktop: Hi all! I would like to add some web Shortcuts to my desktop and then change the icon so it shows a graphic for what the item is. I know how to add a web site short to the desktop, but the icon is just generic. For example, say I want to add an web shortcut for Taco Bell...
  7. Size of Desktop Shortcut Icons

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Size of Desktop Shortcut Icons: My HP 15-AB271S-A Windows 10 laptop has larger desktop shortcut icons than my older E Machines E 732 laptop (which was recently upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10. Both have virtually the same screen dimensions and on checking the display settings in the control panels...
  8. Desktop Shortcut Icons Are Black

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop Shortcut Icons Are Black: All of my desktop shortcut icons have turned black. I first deleted my Explorer thumbnail cache and then my icon cache. I did not get the icons back to normal until after I deleted the icon cache. But after I shut down and restarted the black icons were back. I went...
  9. Shortcut keys not working for a desktop shortcut

in Windows 10 Support
    Shortcut keys not working for a desktop shortcut: I have a shortcut on the desktop. If you double click on it, it runs the target program just fine. Under 'properties' I have tried assigning various shortcut keys like Ctrl+Alt+N and none of them work. I have also deleted and recreated the desktop shortcut with no luck....
  10. Shortcut Overlays appearing on non-shortcut icons on desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    Shortcut Overlays appearing on non-shortcut icons on desktop: Hello, I recently purchased a new Windows 10 laptop, and it has an odd issue which my old Windows 10 machine didn't... All the icons on the desktop (except the Recycle Bin) are showing shortcut overlays (little blue arrows on the lower-left corner of the icon) - whether...