Windows 10: desktop icon spacing problem

Discus and support desktop icon spacing problem in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Windows updated my computer and now the spacing between the desktop icons is huge, and I do not want to dig into the registry editor to solve this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Waterfalllllll, Aug 11, 2019 at 4:32 PM.

1. desktop icon spacing problem

Windows updated my computer and now the spacing between the desktop icons is huge, and I do not want to dig into the registry editor to solve this because it is annoying.

Does Mircosoft made something in the settings panel which allows users to adjust the desktop icon spacing (see horror below)?

desktop icon spacing problem f690d61d-c6ff-4033-b8cc-9957467a861c?upload=true.jpg

:)

Waterfalllllll, Aug 11, 2019 at 4:32 PM

2. Remove Linux Desktop Icons

I am not sure whether this will work (Ubuntu does not have icons like that on the desktop by default), but I suggest opening the trash bin and sweeping the icons into the window showing the trash bin.

3. Juzar_Ali Win User
    Freely moving desktop icons in windows 10

Hi,

I suggest you to try the steps below and check if it helps.

• Right click on the blank space on desktop.
    • Click on View.
    • Uncheck Align icons to grid.

Hope this helps. Please get back to us if you need any other assistance.

Thank you.

4. desktop icon spacing problem

Windows 10 Desktop Icon Spacing Messed Up

Hello,

A factor why you're having desktop spacing issue is due to configuration settings. We suggest that you set the spacing of desktop icon by using Registry Editor. Follow the steps below:

• Type Windows key + R > Type regedit > Hit
      Enter.
    • Navigate to the following location: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics
    • On the right panel, click Window Metrics >
      Double-click IconSpacing (horizontal spacing) or IconVerticalSpacing (vertical spacing) and modify the value > Click
      OK.
    • Reboot the computer to save the changes.

Note: IconSpacing and IconVerticalSpacing value between -480 (minimum spacing) to -2730 (maximum spacing).

Important:  This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection,
    back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, refer to the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article. 

See this article:
    How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

Do get back and let us know the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Thema:

desktop icon spacing problem

1. desktop icon spacing problem - Similar Threads - desktop icon spacing

2. desktop configurations icon problems

in Windows 10 Support
    desktop configurations icon problems: Hi! my name is Ian and I have this problem. When I put files etc into folder to burn to disc, the desktop configuration ICON always shows within the folder and after burning it appears on my disc. Is there a way to stop this happening? Regards Ian Win 10 system 127528
  3. Desktop icon spacing

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop icon spacing: Is there a way to change desktop icon spacing with windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-icon-spacing/a5f2b68d-e5a4-4303-b6ce-d8fdf91e8708
  4. Desktop icon arrangement problem

Desktop icon arrangement problem: I have 2 questions as following 1. When I move icons on desktop to replace some icon, it doesn't replace respectively as shown in the figures below. [ATTACH] [IMG] but What I want is. [ATTACH] 2. When I move icons to replace the last one of the row, it doesn't...
  5. Icon Spacing

Icon Spacing: I just had to reset my PC and now the icon spacing is all different. The horizontal spacing is alright, but the vertical spacing is much too narrow. I've checked values using the Registry Editor and the values for both horizontal and vertical spacing are -1125. So, why are...
  6. Desktop icon spacing

Desktop icon spacing: I'm used to tweaking the values in HKCU\ControlPanel\Desktop\WindowsMetrics\Icon Spacing in previous version of Windows, but it appears to work a bit differently in Win10. Changing the Icon Spacing from the default of -1560 to, say -2000, gives more room for the icon title...
  7. Space between, "Desktop Icons" and "Windows toolbar"

in Windows 10 Support
    Space between, "Desktop Icons" and "Windows toolbar": hi there, unfortunately there is this 1 cm gap between my "Desktop Icons" and "Windows toolbar" and i have searched on google but didn't find anything, have anyone has ever crossed such issue before? there... i added an screenshot, thank u very much for your attention....
  8. Desktop Icons Problems

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop Icons Problems: I have searched, I promise.....My desktop icons are all whacked somehow. I have never seen this problem before. I have them set to Medium, Auto Arrange etc. Any help would be very much appreciated. 90841
  9. Icon spacing

in Windows 10 Support
    Icon spacing: How can I space the icons on desktop? How can I make text bigger where I can read it OK? Like when I type in a web address in the bar. Some of my icons or huge and some are small. Please help Jaye 6154
  10. Change Desktop Icon Spacing in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Desktop Icon Spacing in Windows 10: @Brink, Shawn... another little trick for desktop icon spacing. Hold down the Ctrl key and roll the mouse wheel back/forward. Dynamic re-sizing! 16941