Windows 10: desktop icon spacing problem

Discus and support desktop icon spacing problem in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Windows updated my computer and now the spacing between the desktop icons is huge, and I do not want to dig into the registry editor to solve this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Waterfalllllll, Aug 11, 2019.

1. desktop icon spacing problem

Windows updated my computer and now the spacing between the desktop icons is huge, and I do not want to dig into the registry editor to solve this because it is annoying.

Does Mircosoft made something in the settings panel which allows users to adjust the desktop icon spacing (see horror below)?

desktop icon spacing problem f690d61d-c6ff-4033-b8cc-9957467a861c?upload=true.jpg

:)

Waterfalllllll, Aug 11, 2019

2. Remove Linux Desktop Icons

I am not sure whether this will work (Ubuntu does not have icons like that on the desktop by default), but I suggest opening the trash bin and sweeping the icons into the window showing the trash bin.

Peter1986C, Aug 11, 2019
  3. Juzar_Ali Win User
    Freely moving desktop icons in windows 10

Hi,

I suggest you to try the steps below and check if it helps.

• Right click on the blank space on desktop.
    • Click on View.
    • Uncheck Align icons to grid.

Hope this helps. Please get back to us if you need any other assistance.

Thank you.

Juzar_Ali, Aug 11, 2019
  4. desktop icon spacing problem

Windows 10 Desktop Icon Spacing Messed Up

Hello,

A factor why you're having desktop spacing issue is due to configuration settings. We suggest that you set the spacing of desktop icon by using Registry Editor. Follow the steps below:

• Type Windows key + R > Type regedit > Hit
      Enter.
    • Navigate to the following location: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics
    • On the right panel, click Window Metrics >
      Double-click IconSpacing (horizontal spacing) or IconVerticalSpacing (vertical spacing) and modify the value > Click
      OK.
    • Reboot the computer to save the changes.

Note: IconSpacing and IconVerticalSpacing value between -480 (minimum spacing) to -2730 (maximum spacing).

Important:  This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection,
    back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, refer to the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article. 

See this article:
    How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

Do get back and let us know the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Regile Reb, Aug 11, 2019
Thema:

desktop icon spacing problem

1. desktop icon spacing problem - Similar Threads - desktop icon spacing

2. Icon spacing on W11 desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Icon spacing on W11 desktop: Hello,I have an annoying problem with my desktop.My icon spacing is just awful. So big.Any way to solve this?tks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/icon-spacing-on-w11-desktop/a28aaa6d-da1d-4c4e-a9cd-e92dd4ddf6e9
  3. Icon spacing on W11 desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Icon spacing on W11 desktop: Hello,I have an annoying problem with my desktop.My icon spacing is just awful. So big.Any way to solve this?tks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/icon-spacing-on-w11-desktop/a28aaa6d-da1d-4c4e-a9cd-e92dd4ddf6e9
  4. Desktop Icon Spacing . . .

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop Icon Spacing . . .: My computer, is a Dell laptop. Running Windows 10 Pro My desktop icons, are very far apart. I want to get them, closer. Here,'is the way to do it, by editing the registry. =============================== regedit Hkey_current_user control_panel Desktop WindowsMetric...
  5. desktop icon spacing is extended

desktop icon spacing is extended: My desktop icon has been stretched, how to restore it to the original settings. Thank you. [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-icon-spacing-is-extended/505c92f9-f6c2-48b0-905a-7af115cf4a32
  6. desktop icon spacing

desktop icon spacing: I keep having desktop spacing problems. I have down regedit in registry fix many times, but it keeps coming back I am using win 10 with edge. Is there anupdate I need to load that fixes this problem?...
  7. 2 things ... Desktop icon spacing and sign in problem?

in Windows 10 Support
    2 things ... Desktop icon spacing and sign in problem?: I have just completed a clean install on my laptop of Windows 10 version 1909, in order to remove the insider setup I was using. Everything went perfectly with no real problems. My questions are: 1: On previous Windows 10 installs I could change the spacing of desktop icons...
  8. Desktop Icons size/spacing problem Windows10.

Desktop Icons size/spacing problem Windows10.: I was trying to change the size of characters on my screen. After I did it (via settings>display etc) the system corrupted my desktop. The Icons (still the correct dimensions) suddenly took half the width of the screen each see: [ATTACH] AND they were all overlapping at...
  9. Desktop icon spacing

Desktop icon spacing: Is there a way to change desktop icon spacing with windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-icon-spacing/a5f2b68d-e5a4-4303-b6ce-d8fdf91e8708
  10. Desktop icon spacing

Desktop icon spacing: I'm used to tweaking the values in HKCU\ControlPanel\Desktop\WindowsMetrics\Icon Spacing in previous version of Windows, but it appears to work a bit differently in Win10. Changing the Icon Spacing from the default of -1560 to, say -2000, gives more room for the icon title...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. desktop icons spacing issue

2. Windows 10 desktop icon spacing