Windows 10: Desktop icons always revert to previous order

Discus and support Desktop icons always revert to previous order in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Anytime I reorder the desktop icons after a reboot they will go back to the previous order after a reboot. Also when downloading or copying files to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/SmoothObservator, Sep 28, 2020.

1. Desktop icons always revert to previous order

Anytime I reorder the desktop icons after a reboot they will go back to the previous order after a reboot. Also when downloading or copying files to the desktop they always end up in the top left corner above My Computer instead of after the last icon on the right.

submitted by /u/SmoothObservator
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/SmoothObservator, Sep 28, 2020

2. Desktop Icons Won't Stay Put

Hi Laurie,

As per the issue description I understand that you are facing issues with desktop icons.

I suggest you try the following step in order to arrange the icons.

• Right click on the desktop.
    • Click on view
    • Check the option auto arrange icons.
    Let us know if this helps.

Thanks.

Divya Murugan, Sep 28, 2020
  3. Remove Linux Desktop Icons

I am not sure whether this will work (Ubuntu does not have icons like that on the desktop by default), but I suggest opening the trash bin and sweeping the icons into the window showing the trash bin.

Peter1986C, Sep 28, 2020
  4. Jessen P Win User

Desktop icons always revert to previous order

Icons revert to left in WIndows 10

Hi,

I appreciate you for trying some steps in order to get the issue fixed.

Perform the steps mentioned below and see if it helps.

a: Right-click your desktop, click on 'Personalize'

b: Now click Themes

c: Now click Desktop Icons Settings

d: de-select 'Allow themes to change desktop icons'

Shift your icons around and restart your computer, they should be in the same place you left them.

Please revert if the desktop icons still change their location.

Thank you.

Jessen P, Sep 28, 2020
Thema:

Desktop icons always revert to previous order

1. Desktop icons always revert to previous order - Similar Threads - Desktop icons always

2. Desktop icons in alphabetical order

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop icons in alphabetical order: Continuation of: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-icons-in-alphabetical-order/51ec5e2d-7dd2-499d-ac76-d7f1c29418a8This issue has dragged on for decades with the Windows desktop. I get having the "name space" icons in a separate top line group, but...
  3. Desktop icons in alphabetical order

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop icons in alphabetical order: Continuation of: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-icons-in-alphabetical-order/51ec5e2d-7dd2-499d-ac76-d7f1c29418a8This issue has dragged on for decades with the Windows desktop. I get having the "name space" icons in a separate top line group, but...
  4. Windows 11 desktop icons revert to previous position after restart.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 desktop icons revert to previous position after restart.: Dual Monitor setup, just switched to Windows 11, RTX2070 Super, have checked and tried almost every bit of advice I could find apart from downloading desktop management programs.Icons just will not stay in place after a restart and it's infuriating as I have quite a few and...
  5. Windows 11 desktop icons revert to previous position after restart.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 desktop icons revert to previous position after restart.: Dual Monitor setup, just switched to Windows 11, RTX2070 Super, have checked and tried almost every bit of advice I could find apart from downloading desktop management programs.Icons just will not stay in place after a restart and it's infuriating as I have quite a few and...
  6. Desktop icons unexpectedly re-ordered: any way to save order?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop icons unexpectedly re-ordered: any way to save order?: Unaccountably, all my "organized" desktop icons all moved to the primary display of a two monitor win10x64 system. I looked at the event viewer's windows system log and there were about 30 Microsoft ordered updates events over the last 24 hours. None of the updates were...
  7. Desktop icon order always reverts after a reboot/shutdown

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Desktop icon order always reverts after a reboot/shutdown: Windows 10 refuses to remember my desktop icon order, any time I move the icons around it just goes back to where they were on the next reboot. I already tried deleting the icon cache file and it didn't help. submitted by /u/SmoothObservator [link] [comments]...
  8. restore desktop icons positions to previous

in Windows 10 Customization
    restore desktop icons positions to previous: I set my Desktop icons in a personal way. Whenever I go to PCaccess to PC the icons moved to a different unwanted position. Help! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/restore-desktop-icons-positions-to-previous/21fb17d4-20a9-4228-a14a-27ce69e9a978
  9. Windows 10 1803 update will not install. Always reverts to previous version.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 1803 update will not install. Always reverts to previous version.: I have been trying to get this windows update for months now and the update never finishes. It always reverts to the previous version. I have run the Windows Update Troubleshooter to no avail. My desktop computer was custom built, uses a GIGABYTER GA-Z97MX-GAMING...
  10. Order of desktop icons?

in Windows 10 Support
    Order of desktop icons?: I have my desktop icons on this new Win 10 PC set to sort by Name. But they are not! [img] Why is that? Is there something obvious that I'm missing? And, supposing they were all sorted exactly by name, does that mean you'd view them by column? IOW, say A-M in the...