Windows 10: Desktop Icons and Background Changed on Updates

Discus and support Desktop Icons and Background Changed on Updates in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; This makes the third time today that MS has forced an update on me, even though my Features Updates are deferred for 90 days and is set to ask me about... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by RedBaronLWC, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Desktop Icons and Background Changed on Updates

This makes the third time today that MS has forced an update on me, even though my Features Updates are deferred for 90 days and is set to ask me about installing updates. That's not counting the other times this past week that this has happened. When you're running 3 PCs and it has happened 2 or 3 times on each one, one tends to get a little steamed.

Every time an update occurs it changes my Desktop background to the MS default and moves all my desktop icons around. Like so many others, I am fed up with MS doing whatever it damn well pleases with MY PC. It is MY PC, not anyone elses. I say where everything goes on the desktop and what I want for the background. After having to set everything back the way I want it on my PC the third time, it was just TOO MUCH. Why can't you people get this stuff right nowadays. This is exactly the reason I am going to Ubuntu and Linux on my 3 PCs. Not to mention the fact that I am tired of being a product to be sold to God only knows who.

:)

RedBaronLWC, Apr 5, 2020

2. change desktop background color

Hi,

To change the desktop background into a solid color, see the steps below:

• Right-click on the desktop, and select Personalize.
    • Under Personalization, select Background.
    • On the right pane, click on the drop-down menu for Background, and then select
      Solid color.
    • Choose your preferred color and it should immediately make changes.

Let us know how it goes.

Patricia Yu, Apr 5, 2020
  3. MCK
    mck Win User
    Cannot change desktop icon

Sometimes a desktop icon changes from what it was to a plain white folder. Might be something I did but not sure what.

To change it to the icon I want, I go:
    1. Rt-click icon > Properties > Change icon
    2. I select the icon I want from the thumbnails of icons.
    3. Click OK
    4. Click Apply
    But the icon does not change. It just stays looking like a white folder.
    HOWEVER, if I pin the icon to the taskbar, the icon on the taskbar does look like the icon I selected in step-2. So the change is registered with Win10 but the icon on the desktop just doesn't change.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

4. Desktop Icons and Background Changed on Updates

changing the background images

Hi,

In order to help you better, could you please confirm a couple of things.

• Have you made any changes on the computer prior to the issue?
    • Are you referring to desktop background image or lock screen image?

I suggest you to follow the below steps to change the background picture and check if it helps.

• In the search type as ‘Settings’ and click on it.
    • Select ‘Personalization’, under ‘Background’ option select as ‘Picture’.
    • Under ‘Choose your picture’ select any picture accordingly or you can browse the picture from your computer.

You may refer to the below link and check if it helps.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17144/windows-10-change-desktop-background

Please get back to us with an update on this issue, we will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you.

Karthicka_R, Apr 5, 2020
Thema:

Desktop Icons and Background Changed on Updates

1. Desktop Icons and Background Changed on Updates - Similar Threads - Desktop Icons Background

2. My desktop background changes to black and weird icon positioning.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My desktop background changes to black and weird icon positioning.: Hello!Sometimes, when I move any icon on my desktop it starts having a black background around it and when I move a couple of them my background changes to black altogether. I have to restart my PC to change it back to my previous background.Also, sometimes, when I download a...
  3. My desktop background changes to black and weird icon positioning.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My desktop background changes to black and weird icon positioning.: Hello!Sometimes, when I move any icon on my desktop it starts having a black background around it and when I move a couple of them my background changes to black altogether. I have to restart my PC to change it back to my previous background.Also, sometimes, when I download a...
  4. Desktop background will not change.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop background will not change.: I cannot change my desktop background to anything but black I cannot add any pictures or desktop backgrounds I have checked settings themes and everything I could think of but I cannot find the problem please help*Moved from feedback....
  5. Desktop background will not change.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop background will not change.: I cannot change my desktop background to anything but black I cannot add any pictures or desktop backgrounds I have checked settings themes and everything I could think of but I cannot find the problem please help*Moved from feedback....
  6. Desktop background will not change.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Desktop Icon Background Color

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop Icon Background Color: OS: Windows 10 Pro Version: 20H2 Just recently I noticed some desktop icons have a blue background (see pic below) when, before, they were transparent. They didn't have this until today. Does anyone know how I can revert back to desktop icons with transparent backgrounds?...
  8. TaskBar Icon Background Not taskbar Background not changing

TaskBar Icon Background Not taskbar Background not changing: I know no one understood the title so, Picture , that glowy thing dosen't go off its bugging me it does not even go off after I open the app it usually goes out I guess so someone help me...
  9. Change Desktop Background

Change Desktop Background: I want to change the Desktop Background, I want to put a picture of my granddaughter that I have on my PC https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-desktop-background/26184aba-aed7-4f05-ac92-8ace3ba1f30c
  10. Changed Desktop Background At Home, And It Changed Office Background.

in Windows 10 Support
    Changed Desktop Background At Home, And It Changed Office Background.: can't quite figure out what's going on here... - had three windows 10 pcs networked at my business location (miles from home), all with different desktop backgrounds, all with slightly different configurations. - one of the three pcs was purchased for home use, it was just...