Windows 10: Desktop icons and files are missing, unable to create shortcut

Discus and support Desktop icons and files are missing, unable to create shortcut in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi everyone. I am having a problem after virus infecting (actually it happened few months ago). After removing the virus, my desktop icons and files on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ntd252, Aug 17, 2019.

1. ntd252 Win User

Desktop icons and files are missing, unable to create shortcut

Hi everyone. I am having a problem after virus infecting (actually it happened few months ago). After removing the virus, my desktop icons and files on desktop are not shown, while they are still in Desktop folder. Also, I can't create new shortcut. So how can I fix it? Thank you.

[youtube]3SP0j93QPNM[/youtube]

:)

ntd252, Aug 17, 2019

2. Creating Shortcuts with Batch File

Threw a program together quick for you. It is attached with source in the other. Use it in place of your VBScript.

It supports:
    CreateShortcut [save shortcut] [path to run]
    CreateShortcut [save shortcut] [path to run] [icon index]
    CreateShortcut [save shortcut] [path to run] [icon file]
    CreateShortcut [save shortcut] [path to run] [icon file] [icon index]

If "icon index" is missing, it assumes 0. If "icon file" is missing it assumes "path to run." It doesn't presently support arguments to be added to the shortcut nor modifying the working directory (always assumes same directory as "path to run").

Requires .NET Framework 4.0 to run. Will run natively on 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows.

FordGT90Concept, Aug 17, 2019
  3. Creating Shortcuts with Batch File

Hmm, I just tried it and it worked fine. Maybe try running the batch as administrator? Also, right click on the desktop after the shortcut is created and click Refresh.

If the file in the third parameter doesn't exist, it assumes the icon is in the application.

FordGT90Concept, Aug 17, 2019
  4. Desktop icons and files are missing, unable to create shortcut

Desktop Shortcut Icons

Hi Mik-Dav,

The desktop shortcut created for a specific website should bear the website's actual logo. With what you've experienced, there could be something wrong with how the shortcut was created.

If you've created the shortcut by selecting Create shortcut, then we suggest that you try the other way, that is by dragging the website icon that appears in the address bar to your desktop. Follow these steps:

• Using Internet Explorer, access a website.
    • Once the website opens, you will see its icon in the address bar.
    • Click and drag the icon on your desktop.

The website shortcut bearing its actual logo should now be saved on your desktop.

Let us know if you need further help.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Aug 17, 2019
Thema:

Desktop icons and files are missing, unable to create shortcut

1. Desktop icons and files are missing, unable to create shortcut - Similar Threads - Desktop icons files

2. Is there a shortcut to create desktop shortcuts ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there a shortcut to create desktop shortcuts ?: I'm working on a software to help blind people use computers, and I'm searching for a way for them to create desktop icons/shortcut to Web sites. Is there a way to do this only using the keyboard ? I tried using the Shift + F10, but this doesn't work if an icon is selected,...
  3. Unable to create desktop shortcuts from launchers

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to create desktop shortcuts from launchers: Mainly when I play games I just like to double click on the desktop shortcut and launch the application...but for whatever reason games from launchers like the Microsoft Store, Xbox PC app, Epic Games, and Steam just create blank .url files on my desktop when using the...
  4. Unable to create desktop shortcuts from launchers

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to create desktop shortcuts from launchers: Mainly when I play games I just like to double click on the desktop shortcut and launch the application...but for whatever reason games from launchers like the Microsoft Store, Xbox PC app, Epic Games, and Steam just create blank .url files on my desktop when using the...
  5. Unable to create desktop shortcuts from launchers

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Unable to Send to Desktop - Create Shortcut

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to Send to Desktop - Create Shortcut: I am creating a new thread since my original problem "Unable to create Desktop Short cut nor New Folder in Windows 10" has been closed as solved. Wanted to report the following for those who responded to the problem: Feedback Report I have logged as Administrator and found...
  7. Cloned (D:) is missing desktop icons, shortcuts

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Cloned (D:) is missing desktop icons, shortcuts: I have 2 disks on laptop (Windows 10 Home, Single user): Disk 0 Windows (C:) eMMC 32Gb Disk 1 Storage (D:) Sandisk SSD 120Gb - Windows (C:) is having OS - Storage (D:) All of the User Libraries (Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures etc) and desktop are stored here. I have...
  8. Creating a desktop shortcut

in Browsers and Email
    Creating a desktop shortcut: All I want to do is create a Desktop shortcut & icon for Microsoft Edge. Simple I thought, but I cannot do it. If I move an icon in the source folder, either an exe or lnk, to the Desktop it does not launch when clicked, or when I click open or run as Admin. Sometimes I cant...
  9. Create Desktop Shortcut

in Browsers and Email
    Create Desktop Shortcut: O.k. I give up...can someone tell me how to create a desktop shortcut ? using Edge browser....also how do you move something from the favourites bar to the desktop?......it must be possible surely ?........Del. 73345
  10. Need Help With Creating Icons for Desktop Shortcuts

in Windows 10 Support
    Need Help With Creating Icons for Desktop Shortcuts: In trying to create desktop shortcuts to websites that have recognizable icons, instead of Microsoft's generic, look-alike ones, I tried to follow this excellent, step-by-step YouTube video which was generously submitted by Edwin, however I got stuck at one point, and don't...