Windows 10: Desktop Icons and Taskbar icons flashing constantly - only when PDFs icons are present

Discus and support Desktop Icons and Taskbar icons flashing constantly - only when PDFs icons are present in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello, I have an incredibly strange issue. Whenever I open Windows Explorer, and navigate to a folder that has a PDF document in it, all icons flash... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by np2013, Jul 2, 2019.

1. np2013 Win User

Desktop Icons and Taskbar icons flashing constantly - only when PDFs icons are present

Hello,

I have an incredibly strange issue. Whenever I open Windows Explorer, and navigate to a folder that has a PDF document in it, all icons flash continuously. Including desktop icons, taskbar icons, and icons next to file names in explorer. This does NOT happen if I navigate to a folder that does not include any PDF files. Same thing occurs if I save a PDF file on my desktop. Originally, I suspected that it was an issue with default programs. So I deleted Microsoft Edge and set Adobe Acrobat DC as the default for all file types it could open. Here are some of the other solutions I have attempted:

- Start in safe mode (still occurs)

- Delete iconcache.db and restart explorer process

- Delete all iconcache files in user/local/appdata/microsoft/windows/explorer

- uninstall any other software that can open PDFs, other than Adobe Acrobat DC

- Ran an sfc scan

- Uninstall Adobe Acrobat DC

All latest Windows 10 Pro updates are installed. I have ruled out this being a hardware acceleration or driver issue, considering it only occurs when explorer is open and in a folder that has a PDF in it - no other file types cause the blinking of the icons. As soon as i close the folder, the blinking stops. This has happened two other times, and each time it occurred after I opened a PDF in Edge or Chrome, and then reset the default back to Acrobat. The ONLY solution that has worked for me is to recreate my profile, however, that involves reinstalling all programs and a few days of work to get the profile back to where i need it to be. I thought I would check on here to see if someone else might have some possible solutions that I could try to avoid having to go that route. TIA!

:)

np2013, Jul 2, 2019

2. Remove Linux Desktop Icons

I am not sure whether this will work (Ubuntu does not have icons like that on the desktop by default), but I suggest opening the trash bin and sweeping the icons into the window showing the trash bin.

Peter1986C, Jul 2, 2019
  3. Mussels Win User
    Removing desktop icons

the icons are located in 'all users' folder somewhere (for example, i see a few shared icons in "C:\Users\Public\Desktop" )

The only way to fix those, is to remove the icons from there, and place them on to each users desktops manually. an admin may need to do this.

Mussels, Jul 2, 2019
  4. Error 404 Win User

Desktop Icons and Taskbar icons flashing constantly - only when PDFs icons are present

Removing desktop icons

I want to remove some Icons from my desktop, but Vista asks for Admin permission to continue (I'm not an admin *Frown Desktop Icons and Taskbar icons flashing constantly - only when PDFs icons are present :( ).
    It seems that whenever I delete one of these icons from my desktop, it is also removed from all the other user accounts. For example, I deleted the Skype icon from my desktop, and it was then removed from everyone elses as well.
    How can I delete icons from my desktop only, without affecting anyone elses?

Error 404, Jul 2, 2019
Thema:

1. Desktop Icons and Taskbar icons flashing constantly - only when PDFs icons are present - Similar Threads - Desktop Icons Taskbar

2. Disable taskbar icon flashing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disable taskbar icon flashing: Hello,I am trying to disable the annoying flashing in the taskbar. I have found multiple articles online asking the same thing and none of the steps have worked. Here is what I tried.1 Disable "show badges on taskbard buttons"2 Change the registry key valuesNone of the above...
  3. Disable taskbar icon flashing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disable taskbar icon flashing: Hello,I am trying to disable the annoying flashing in the taskbar. I have found multiple articles online asking the same thing and none of the steps have worked. Here is what I tried.1 Disable "show badges on taskbard buttons"2 Change the registry key valuesNone of the above...
  4. Disable taskbar icon flashing

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Taskbar icons and desktop icons are flashing on Windows 10 Home

Taskbar icons and desktop icons are flashing on Windows 10 Home: How do I stop the taskbar and desktop icons from flashing? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/taskbar-icons-and-desktop-icons-are-flashing-on/48b029b3-13e6-4bba-bc43-83c002f484ae
  6. Desktop Icons and Taskbar Icons Disappeared

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Desktop Icons and Taskbar Icons Disappeared: So I started up my computer today and I noticed that all of the icons for my apps where missing on my desktop, and on my taskbar it just showed a generic image, except for mail which is showing just fine. I can still access all of the apps, and when I load up discord the...
  7. Desktop icons and taskbar flashing/blinking

Desktop icons and taskbar flashing/blinking: Icons on desktop have become enlarged and they flash periodically along with the taskbar. I'm not able to open the start menu at all. In safe mode it doesn't flash but the warning "The system detected an overrun of a stack-based buffer in this application..." keeps popping...
  8. Taskbar icon flashing

Taskbar icon flashing: When you start a program in Windows, the icon on the taskbar flashes Orange, presumably to alert you that it's open (as though you did not know already that XD). I want it to not do that. It is incredibly distracting, and not very user-friendly trying to work and iTunes or...
  9. Taskbar icons flashing

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Taskbar icons flashing: Hi everyone, I have a problem I hope you can help me to solve it. Whenever I open Windows Explorer, go to any folder which contains a .avi video file, the taskbar icons will start flashing or blinking non stop. As soon as I close the Explorer, the blinking stops. Please help!...
  10. Desktop Icons and Taskbar Icons are Flashing, Continously

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Desktop Icons and Taskbar Icons are Flashing, Continously: Hi: I am experiencing blinking/flashing of several icons that are located on my Win10-64 Pro desktop PC's screen, and several icons for programs and for File Manager, that are pinned to within the taskbar. The PC is a DELL XPS 8700 desktop. I think my PC has Windows 10...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 taskbar and desktop icons flashing

2. opening pdf files causes desktop icons to start blinking

3. pdf icon blink

4. windows 10 icons flashing,
  5. windows 10 desktop icons flash,
  6. pdf icons flashing,
  7. pdf icon flasshing,
  8. Windows Desktop Icons flashing,
  9. windows explorer flashing constantly,
  10. Desktop Icons and Taskbar icons flashing constantly - only when PDFs icons are present,
  11. pdf files cause flashing icons desktop when open folder that has them in there,
  12. taskbar icons flashing,
  13. windows 10 desktop icons flashing taskbar icons flashing,
  14. windows 10 desktop and taskbar flashing,
  15. taskbar icons and shortcuts blink