Windows 10: Desktop icons appearing on second monitor

Discus and support Desktop icons appearing on second monitor in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; As my title suggests, I am trying to troubleshoot an issue where my desktop icons are appearing on the wrong screen. I have my primary display set... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/LJMDGA, Mar 12, 2020.

1. /u/LJMDGA Win User

Desktop icons appearing on second monitor

As my title suggests, I am trying to troubleshoot an issue where my desktop icons are appearing on the wrong screen. I have my primary display set correctly in settings however, the icons continue to appear on the wrong monitor. This isn't a huge concern to me, but it is more a quality of life issue. Any suggestions are appreciated!

submitted by /u/LJMDGA
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/LJMDGA, Mar 12, 2020
  2. Swapna S Win User

Desktop shortcuts appear on external monitor instead of pc

Hi,

I will certainly help you with the issue you are experiencing in getting
    desktop shortcuts on your PC from External monitor.

This issue might occur due to default settings where you are not able to view the desktop shortcuts on the PC, you are looking for.

Before proceeding further, I would like to ask few questions for better assistance:

• Which edition of Windows are you working with?
    Please follow below mentioned steps to fix the issue:

• Plug in the second monitor which physically sits to the left of your primary screen

• Right click the desktop, choose
      Graphic Options>Output To>Extended Desktop> Built-in display + Monitor.

• Extended desktop enabled, but screen 2 (on the left) can only be accessed by moving the cursor to the right.

• Right click the desktop and choose
      Graphic Properties - choose 'Multiple Displays' from the side menu.

• Move monitor 2 from its default
      'Right' side to the left – all the icons go with it
      to screen 2 but the taskbar stays on the primary monitor.

• Click 'Apply' to accept this (temporarily) - close the
      'properties' window.

• Right Click the desktop, but this time choose
      'Screen Resolution'. Ensure that screen 2 is to the left - if not, move it.

• Click on screen 1 and ensure it says
      'This is currently your main display'

• Click on screen 2 and tick the box that says
      'Make this my main display' - the taskbar should move to screen 2.

• Finally click on Screen 1 again and tick the box that says
      'Make this my main display' - the taskbar and
      all the icons should move back to screen 1.
    I would like to Inform/suggest, Press the
    Windows key + P, and then choose a way to project:

• PC screen only
      – All your desktop shortcuts will be seen only on primary monitor/Desktop.

• Duplicate- Desktop Shortcuts that is on primary monitor/Desktop will replicate on Secondary monitor too.

• Extend- Primary monitor will be extended to Secondary monitor. But all the desktop shortcuts will appear only on primary monitor. (If you want to have the desktop
      shortcuts that’s on primary monitor on secondary monitor, you can just drag the shortcuts from primary to secondary monitor and check if that helps).

• Second screen only- All your desktop shortcuts will be seen only on Secondary monitor/Desktop.
    Please get back to us, if you still facing issue
    in getting desktop shortcuts on your PC from External monitor.

Thank you.

Swapna S, Mar 12, 2020
  3. Remove Linux Desktop Icons

I am not sure whether this will work (Ubuntu does not have icons like that on the desktop by default), but I suggest opening the trash bin and sweeping the icons into the window showing the trash bin.

Peter1986C, Mar 12, 2020
  4. Desktop icons appearing on second monitor

Second monitor appears pixelated sometimes

Before we get started, here might be some setup information that may be worth noting. My primary monitor is a 1080p, 1920 x 1080 (native) using an HDMI to DVI. My secondary monitor is a SONY TV 1360 x 768 (native) using an HDMI. Both are connected to my graphics card and not the motherboard. I have always had this setup but I have not always had this issue.

Preforming the following actions may cause my second monitor to appear pixelated.
    • Getting a web browser out of maximized mode by click dragging the window or using the restore button
    • Using full screen on the secondary monitor
    • Dragging a window into the second monitor, sometimes

In order to temporarily solve this issue I must apply a change to any display using the Nvidia Control Panel. Using the Windows display settings to apply a change does not always fix the issue. Also note that after the second monitor goes pixelated, my computer does not detect a change in any display's resolution settings.

So far I have tried the following fixes to no avail
    • Keeping display drivers up to date
    • Using a DDU to wipe display drivers clean and start anew
    • Using the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter

I have tried to use capture software to screenshot the pixelation but it can not see it. I have to use a camera to show what it looks like instead.
    Before:

Desktop icons appearing on second monitor [​IMG]

After:

Capture software is not capable of detecting the pixelation so I have recreated what it looks like on screen. Use this as reverence if the pictures look bad.
    Before:

After:

Tjaekazuta, Mar 12, 2020
Thema:

Desktop icons appearing on second monitor

1. Desktop icons appearing on second monitor - Similar Threads - Desktop icons appearing

2. No icons appear on desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No icons appear on desktop: Files don't appear on desktop but do in the desktop folder in the file explorer. The recycle bin icon turned into that gray rectangle at the top of the desktop that stretches the entire width of the screen. Icons don't appear in the desktop icon settings....
  3. No icons appear on desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No icons appear on desktop: Files don't appear on desktop but do in the desktop folder in the file explorer. The recycle bin icon turned into that gray rectangle at the top of the desktop that stretches the entire width of the screen. Icons don't appear in the desktop icon settings....
  4. Desktop icon appearance

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop icon appearance: When I moved my desktop icons across from my old to new computer both Acers and both using Windows 10 most of the icon tiles are now plain white and do not feature the distinctive site logo as was the case before.How can I restore?...
  5. Two monitors and desktop icons load on to second

in Windows 10 Support
    Two monitors and desktop icons load on to second: Please can someone help. When I have monitor 1 on (destop main) and the second monitor (off) but get new icon from installed program. How can I make to icon go on the desktop monitor and not the spare monitor 2 (which is off) when I'm not using it? When I open noepad...it...
  6. desktop icons move to second monitor

desktop icons move to second monitor: Having used a small monitor as a second display for years, I bought a new larger one. Now, every time I try to use 'extend' display all the carefully arranged desktop icons move to totally irrational places on the second screen. It is clear this bug has been around for...
  7. No icons appear on the desktop

No icons appear on the desktop: When I open Microsoft, the desktop is completely blank. None of the icons or shortcuts appear. When I try to add one, nothing shows up, but it is indicated that the shortcut already exists. How do I get my original desktop back?...
  8. Will moving desktop icons on a second monitor change them on the main monitor?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Will moving desktop icons on a second monitor change them on the main monitor?: I have a HDMI switcher on my main monitor. When I'm not displaying my PC on it, everything switches to my second monitor which is smaller so the desktop icons are all funky. If I move them around when they're on the second monitor, will they be moved when they go back to the...
  9. second monitor icons

second monitor icons: recently I have set up a second monitor on my windows desktop. everything is working fine however I would like to know if there is a way to mirror my desktop icons without mirroring the hole screen...
  10. Desktop icons splitting between main and second monitor

Desktop icons splitting between main and second monitor: I was messing around with my desktop settings a few days ago and when I changed the size of my desktop icons from medium to large back to medium, my icons started splitting between my main and second monitor. I moved them back, but whenever I restart or turn my computer back...