Windows 10: Desktop icons are set wide apart and words overlap

Discus and support Desktop icons are set wide apart and words overlap in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; How do I change my icon desktop setting back to normal?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by DrZ_2018, Oct 29, 2018.

1. DrZ_2018 Win User

Desktop icons are set wide apart and words overlap

How do I change my icon desktop setting back to normal?

:)

DrZ_2018, Oct 29, 2018

2. missing system wide icons

Hi Janet,

You might have accidentally change some settings on your computer.

We suggest following these troubleshooting steps on how to resolve the issue:

Method 1: Check View option.

• Right-click the desktop.
    • Select View and then Show desktop icons.
    • Make sure the option is checked.

If issue persist, follow the method below.

Method 2: Check Settings.

• Click Start, search for Settings.
    • Select Tablet mode on the left pane.
    • Turn off Hide app icons on the taskbar in tablet mode and
      Automatically hide the taskbar in tablet mode

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Gerard Qui, Oct 29, 2018
  3. Remove Linux Desktop Icons

I am not sure whether this will work (Ubuntu does not have icons like that on the desktop by default), but I suggest opening the trash bin and sweeping the icons into the window showing the trash bin.

Peter1986C, Oct 29, 2018
  4. MMO
    mmo Win User

How to shrink the bounding box of desktop icons?

I just reimaged my office computer from Win 7 to Win 10. Most things are fine but one thing annoys me greatly:

The desktop icons are embedded in an insanely wide bounding box. I.e. if I select a desktop icon it gets surrounded by a light-bluish transparent box that is at least three times as wide as the icon.
    It is thus impossible to place an icon close to the screen border, because if its "bounding box" overlaps the border, Windows will automatically place the icon elsewhere (another one of those unwanted behaviors, but that's a different story).
    Due to this huge box I also have to place my desktop very widely interspaced (i.e. at least the equivalent of two icons' width apart) or else I get a hard time hitting the right one, because clicking on it then frequently triggers the overlapping left or right icon. :-(

On my home system that bounding box is barely wider than the displayed icon, maybe 20% of the icons's width on each side and I am thus used to place my icons in groups and also much closer to each other.

Any ideas how one can shrink or do away with that surrounding box?

Just in case: of course I have already switched to small icons and disabled automatic placement and grid alignment. :-(
    I also fiddled with the registry settings at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics, specifically with IconSpacing as suggested in misc. google hits that I found but changing that value does not seem to have any influence whatsoever (I tried values between -20 and -2000, the original value being -1115).

Thema:

1. Desktop icons are set wide apart and words overlap - Similar Threads - Desktop icons are

2. Desktop Icons blown apart

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop Icons blown apart: I have the same problem listed on this thread and tried the same remedies.https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-suddenly-out-of-scale-icons-spaced-way/2ccad350-6182-4fae-9148-2631ed40635dOccasionally Microsoft does an update and the desktop goes nuts....
  3. Desktop Icons blown apart

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop Icons blown apart: I have the same problem listed on this thread and tried the same remedies.https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-suddenly-out-of-scale-icons-spaced-way/2ccad350-6182-4fae-9148-2631ed40635dOccasionally Microsoft does an update and the desktop goes nuts....
  4. Desktop Icons blown apart

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. desktop icons wide

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    desktop icons wide: My desk top icons are super wide so any idea why they are super wide Thanks ! submitted by /u/THE11R0 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/map286/desktop_icons_wide/
  6. wide desktop icons

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    wide desktop icons: [ATTACH] Hi, after one week of vacation I'm back on my PC and saw this. How can I fix it? https://preview.redd.it/vxs4jmgboil51.png?width=1920&format=png&auto=webp&s=946de87bd95992a23bd543e8ec6d233cae575838 submitted by /u/sebbe_tug [link] [comments]...
  7. desktop icons are overlapping FIXED

desktop icons are overlapping FIXED: so i was messing around with the text size of my computer to see if anything worked the best for me. then i looked at my desktop where your computer background will be then i saw that there were only to rows, and the first row had most of the programs i had downloaded...
  8. Desktop Icons overlap?

Desktop Icons overlap?: Hey, normally there is a minimum distance between the icons on the desktop. However, this is no longer present with me. (see picture) [ATTACH] Of course I find it very annoying when the distances between the icons are different and they can even overlap. I...
  9. ICONs overlapping on desktop

ICONs overlapping on desktop: I have all of my ICONs are pasted over the top of each other. when you go to click on a ICON it takes up half of the screen horizontally. Vertically it is still the normal size. How do I fix this???[IMG] Have attached a screen shot....
  10. Desktop icons are too widely spaced apart

Desktop icons are too widely spaced apart: My desktop applications are too widely spaced apart. How do I revert it back to when all my apps could be placed in a grid-format along the left-hand side of the screen?...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. desktop icons overlapping windows 10

2. desktop icon names overlapping

3. windows 10 desktop icons overlap

4. desktop icons are appearing very wider,
  5. desktop fine names overlapping windows 10,
  6. in windows 10 desktop icons are overlapping,
  7. desktop icons wide,
  8. windows 10 desktop icons too wide apart,
  9. windows 10 desktop icons are wide,
  10. icons are wide,
  11. windows desktop icons wide