Windows 10: Desktop Icons Blacked out

Discus and support Desktop Icons Blacked out in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi All, I'm not sure what caused my icons to change see attached screenshot. All was well up until a few minutes ago then poof this happened. Running... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by radar1, May 16, 2019.

1. radar1 Win User

Desktop Icons Blacked out

Hi All, I'm not sure what caused my icons to change see attached screenshot. All was well up until a few minutes ago then poof this happened. Running win 10 build 1809, Haven't installed anything in last few days, so not sure what may have caused this. Tried a refresh of the screen no luck, tried a reboot again no luck. Thanks for looking, any help would be appreciated.
    Cheers

Desktop Icons Blacked out [​IMG]

:)

radar1, May 16, 2019

2. Remove Linux Desktop Icons

I am not sure whether this will work (Ubuntu does not have icons like that on the desktop by default), but I suggest opening the trash bin and sweeping the icons into the window showing the trash bin.

Peter1986C, May 16, 2019
  3. Desktop Icons Won't Stay Put

Hi Laurie,

As per the issue description I understand that you are facing issues with desktop icons.

I suggest you try the following step in order to arrange the icons.

• Right click on the desktop.
    • Click on view
    • Check the option auto arrange icons.
    Let us know if this helps.

Thanks.

Divya Murugan, May 16, 2019
  4. Desktop Icons Blacked out

Desktop Icons

Hello Glenda,

Share this information to assist you better.

• Is the issue particular to the Comcast?
    • Have you installed all the pending updates?
    • Did you try changing icons of other shortcuts?
    Follow the steps and check if it helps:

Step 1: Press Windows+I to open Settings panel, and click
    Personalization to access Personalization settings.

Step 2: Tap Change desktop icons on the top left in the Personalization window.

Step 3: In the Desktop Icon Settings window, select the icon of
    This PC and click Change Icon.

Step 4: Choose a new icon from the list, and tap OK.

Step 5: Click OK to confirm the change.

Let us know the status of the issue.

Rakesh Narayanaswamy, May 16, 2019
Thema:

Desktop Icons Blacked out

1. Desktop Icons Blacked out - Similar Threads - Desktop Icons Blacked

2. PC Desktop frozen and blacking out

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC Desktop frozen and blacking out: My work computer suddenly froze midday yesterday. Taskbar hidden. Cursor moves but nothing happens when I click on any desktop icon or right click on desktop. Monitor alternates black out every few second. Ironically, if I "switch user" and log in as my predecessor,...
  3. PC Desktop frozen and blacking out

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC Desktop frozen and blacking out: My work computer suddenly froze midday yesterday. Taskbar hidden. Cursor moves but nothing happens when I click on any desktop icon or right click on desktop. Monitor alternates black out every few second. Ironically, if I "switch user" and log in as my predecessor,...
  4. Black screen and/or black square desktop icons

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black screen and/or black square desktop icons: Computer crashed. New computer with two monitors Windows 11 Pro began exhibiting black screen and tech was unable to resolve issue. They sent a replacement, which is also being replaced for another reason, however just two weeks in, both black screen and black squares around...
  5. Black screen and/or black square desktop icons

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Black screen and/or black square desktop icons: Computer crashed. New computer with two monitors Windows 11 Pro began exhibiting black screen and tech was unable to resolve issue. They sent a replacement, which is also being replaced for another reason, however just two weeks in, both black screen and black squares around...
  6. Desktop icons are black squares

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop icons are black squares: For a couple weeks now, I have been stuck with these annoying icon thumbnails, and I have run out of ideas to fix the problem. Essentially, when I turn on my computer, all icons on my desktop and only my desktop that are not native to windows appear as these black squares. In...
  7. Black desktop Icons

in Windows 10 Support
    Black desktop Icons: Been fighting this problem for a while now and tried everything I could find. Today I came here and found a file to restore the shortcut icon arrow and now all is fine, so far. My question is who at MS thought that a shortcut arrow was a good idea? Also, has anybody tried to...
  8. Microsoft store icon is blacked out.

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Microsoft store icon is blacked out.: Microsoft store icon is blacked out. [ATTACH] I tried wsreset.exe and there is an error coming as follow: "ms:windows-store:purge-caches" https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-store-icon-is-blacked-out/8e16859c-3b40-460c-ae14-26cebc9d7344
  9. Desktop icons spaced out

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop icons spaced out: One day, when I booted up my computer, the icons were really spaced out. So I used regedit to modify the icon spacing details, and all was fine. But when I unplugged my laptop from my monitor, the icons were all spaced out on my laptop screen. So I, once again, went into...
  10. Desktop Shortcut Icons Are Black

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop Shortcut Icons Are Black: All of my desktop shortcut icons have turned black. I first deleted my Explorer thumbnail cache and then my icon cache. I did not get the icons back to normal until after I deleted the icon cache. But after I shut down and restarted the black icons were back. I went...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. desktop icon blacked out

2. window 10 desktop icons blacked out

3. icons blacked out

4. windows phone blacked out icon,
  5. microsoft 10 start icons blacked out