Windows 10: Desktop Icons bug since Windows update (new Edge update). What to do?

Discus and support Desktop Icons bug since Windows update (new Edge update). What to do? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [ATTACH] submitted by /u/anymoddal [link] [comments]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/anymoddal, Aug 28, 2020.

1. Desktop Icons bug since Windows update (new Edge update). What to do?

/u/anymoddal, Aug 28, 2020

2. Windows Update does it again: Disappearing Desktop Icons

Hello

After I updated a ton of security updates with care to only update the certain critical ones no anything else.

The hardcoded icons have disappeared during reboot, those icons that you drag out of start menu and it automatically creates it, and the network icon that you right-click in the start menu and select "show on desktop"

But there was also a freeze during the update process, when rebooted it re-do the stuff that it does at boot so i think it was fine , but the icon thing happend, it always has to be something.

I so hate the windows update, I haven't updated for half a year and now i did a manual careful update and I think i will never do it again for win7 EVER on this PC.

Icons keep disappearing after a certain period of days while several sessions passed. Let's say every 5 days or a week, 3 times now. I want to have my system stuff out like Control panel, add remove programs, all the sys stuff.

EDIT: Exact icons are "network" "sound" and "programs and features"

Found something it can be certain settings for icon cleanup

http://social.technet.microsoft.com.../thread/ada5d392-2af7-43c3-9191-08baf63f0098/

Stupid updates messing with my settings*Mad Desktop Icons bug since Windows update (new Edge update). What to do? :mad:

RuskiSnajper, Aug 28, 2020
  3. qubit Win User
    Windows Update does it again: Disappearing Desktop Icons

Couple of things:

Disappearing icons during normal use is not something that Windows tends to do, so there's a problem somewhere on your system.

Leaving Windows Update for so long is asking for problems. Set the updater to download critical updates, but install only when you say so. This way, Windows will be kept up to date and the updates will be a lot smaller, reducing the chance of something going wrong.

So, what's infrarecorder?

qubit, Aug 28, 2020
  4. XPEHOPE3 Win User

Desktop Icons bug since Windows update (new Edge update). What to do?

Two bugs in GPU-Z - icon and version number

I ran into the very same issue with the latest GPU-Z version at Win 10 x64 - I rename the desktop shortcut and after some time I see blank icon for it, and reinstall-rename solution also won't survive restart. The solution I came up with was to extract the icon from GPU-Z and use it instead. This is yet to disappear after multiple restarts.

XPEHOPE3, Aug 28, 2020
Thema:

Desktop Icons bug since Windows update (new Edge update). What to do?

1. Desktop Icons bug since Windows update (new Edge update). What to do? - Similar Threads - Desktop Icons bug

2. A bug with a new update?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    A bug with a new update?: Since the beginning of this month, I have started having an issue where my computer decides it wants to shut down on its own. I am pretty sure it's nothing hardware, as when it goes to shut down, it does it the correct way asking me to save my work, and certain things won't...
  3. A bug with a new update?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    A bug with a new update?: Since the beginning of this month, I have started having an issue where my computer decides it wants to shut down on its own. I am pretty sure it's nothing hardware, as when it goes to shut down, it does it the correct way asking me to save my work, and certain things won't...
  4. A bug with a new update?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Ever since an update in 2020, deleted Desktop icons don't update on the desktop properly...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Ever since an update in 2020, deleted Desktop icons don't update on the desktop properly...: When you install a new app, or make a new document, sometimes you save to it to the desktop temporarily, or for easy access. However, when you don't need that file, folder, or icon anymore, and you go to delete it through File Explorer (This PC -> Desktop), it doesn't update...
  6. A few bugs since 2004 Update

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    A few bugs since 2004 Update: Hey guys, here is a list with a few bugs I encountered since the 2004 update. - If I wake up my PC from sleep, sometimes the whole system has mini freezes/stutters -> Restart - Sometimes when I start my PC I get the same bug as above, just from a normal startup -> Restart...
  7. The New Edge not in Windows Update

in Browsers and Email
    The New Edge not in Windows Update: When will the new Edge be available through windows update? I am getting all other updates but Edge. Using Win 10 Pro 1909. 151839
  8. Desktop icons alignment bug after Creators Update

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop icons alignment bug after Creators Update: Since Creators Update installation, I've this bug with Windows 10.When I drag icons on the left side of the screen, sometimes, icons don't move.It happens mostly when the area is "flooded" with icons. When it's pretty empty, seems to work fine.And, sometimes, icon position...
  9. After Autumn update - Desktop Icons will not go to the edge

in Windows 10 Customization
    After Autumn update - Desktop Icons will not go to the edge: Spent about 2 or 3 hours researching online then about an hour here. After the Autumn Creators Update, my desktop icons will not go to the 'edge'. See below picture. Before, like on one of my pc's, it's like below - [img] The icons can be drug to the very bottom,...
  10. New icons after update.. what are they?

in Windows 10 Support
    New icons after update.. what are they?: Hello everyone. I recently updated my windows and after transferring some files from hard drive I see these new icons next to files, they are showing up next to all files that I have copied to my desktop. Can someone please explain what it means and how to get rid of it...