Windows 10: Desktop icons change position after disconnecting 2nd display

Discus and support Desktop icons change position after disconnecting 2nd display in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I am running Window 10 on my laptop. At the office I connect a 2nd display monitor. Whenever I disconnect from that display to work at home, all my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Gerry Lib, Oct 13, 2018.

1. Gerry Lib Win User

Desktop icons change position after disconnecting 2nd display

I am running Window 10 on my laptop. At the office I connect a 2nd display monitor.

Whenever I disconnect from that display to work at home, all my icons move position. I have my laptop display set as primary.

Is there a way to save the icon positions?

:)

Gerry Lib, Oct 13, 2018
  2. Argel Obm Win User

How to prevent desktop icons from changing positions

Hi Stephen,

There are various reasons why you're experiencing the issue. Let us isolate your concern by enabling the
    Auto arrange icons option, and then disabling it to see if the issue will persist. To do this follow these steps:

• Go to the Desktop screen, and then right click anywhere.
    • Hover your mouse on View.
    • Select Auto arrange icons.
    • Restart the computer.
    • After restarting the computer, check if your Desktop icons are still in the right position after clicking the
      Auto arrange icons option.
    • If your Desktop icons are in the right position, repeat steps 1-3 to disable the
      Auto arrange icons option.
    • Customize the position of your Desktop icons.
    • Restart the computer.
    • After restarting the computer, check if the issue will occur.

We'll be waiting for your response.

Argel Obm, Oct 13, 2018
  3. Desktop Icons move when changing to or from Extending Display.

Desktop icons are not managed successfully in Win 10 or any other previous versions of windows for more than the last 10 years (at least as long as there has been the ability to use two displays).

Currently using a laptop with external display that is set to be the 2nd display in extended display settings.

When I go portable with my laptop there can be several impacts including No Icons usually accompanied with primary desktop being the 2nd monitor that is no longer present. Recovery of course causes all desktop icons to take up a new location when the laptop
    display is restored to primary.

Attempting to be proactive by changing display mode from extended to single primary (of the laptop of course) does not always prevent icons from moving.

Having searched the community questions and answers I have found all the supposed fixes already in place showing that Microsoft is both listening and reacting by making those changes during updates (except for system restore which appears to need user to
    initiate creating a restore fileset.). However there is a LONG history of ICONs changing position when using dual display configurations. There are a few other bugs that have been in windows for a long time suggesting that Win 10 is a rehash of prior work
    allowing old bugs to persist, but I digress.

This problem has another source of scrambling icon position by the use of screen zoom scaling.

(Hold down CTRL and move the mouse wheel.) Display changes resolution and Icons move to stay visible on the display as the resolution is reduced. Neat feature but when changing back to higher resolution original Icon positions are not restored.

This is not a video driver issue, nor a Icon setting like auto arrange being active. Please assume I have already covered the obvious.

Windows 10 needs a setting that provides a position lock for existing icons on the desktop.

Yes that also means an array of icon position information must be safely stored as each display resolution will need different positions defined.

DavidTweedy, Oct 13, 2018
  4. lookuser Win User

Desktop Icons change their position

I have a similar problem but connected with extended desktop. Whenever I disconnect from extended desktop with just uplugging my surface pro 4 from docking station then all the icons positioning is lost - which is completely annoying. Can you help with that?

regards

piotr

lookuser, Oct 13, 2018
Thema:

1. Desktop icons change position after disconnecting 2nd display - Similar Threads - Desktop icons change

2. Desktop icon position fix

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop icon position fix: Hello to everyone,I am using Windows 11 Pro version 22H2.My desktop icons often get messed up when I'm operating on my computer.For example, when I copy and paste a file on the desktop, the new file is added to the top left corner. Sometimes I get confused in finding my new...
  3. Desktop icon position fix

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop icon position fix: Hello to everyone,I am using Windows 11 Pro version 22H2.My desktop icons often get messed up when I'm operating on my computer.For example, when I copy and paste a file on the desktop, the new file is added to the top left corner. Sometimes I get confused in finding my new...
  4. Desktop Icons Keep Changing Positions

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop Icons Keep Changing Positions: Hey, I recently updated my Windows 10 to 20H2. After this, all my desktop icons keep changing position whenever I refresh or restart my laptop. What's the permanent solution to this. I have tried options offered on other Windows' discussion fora without any positive...
  5. Desktop Icons not saving position after restart

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Desktop Icons not saving position after restart: Whenever I try to position my desktop icons the way I would like, after a restart the icons go back to some strange position. Does anyone know how to resolve this issue? submitted by /u/Traase [link] [comments]...
  6. Desktop Icons changing position

Desktop Icons changing position: Running WIN10 home Every so often my desktop flashes and some of my icons have changed position. Can anyone explain t his and how I can stop it? Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-icons-changing-position/934e8501-fdfb-46d0-998d-3b15d4dc677a
  7. Desktop icon positions

Desktop icon positions: Currently my desktop icons are on a fixed grid. I would like to change them back to a custom grid where I can control their position relative to each other. How do I get rid of the fixed grid?...
  8. Desktop shortcuts keep changing positions after changing which display is main or launching...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Desktop shortcuts keep changing positions after changing which display is main or launching...: I have 2 displays in extended configuration windows 10 pro. 1080p display in 100% scaling and 4K display in 150% scaling. Auto arrange icons is disabled. The setup is new. Used to only have the 1080p display but I had the same issue a long time ago. I fixed it a while ago...
  9. Windows 10 desktop icon positions change when changing resolution

Windows 10 desktop icon positions change when changing resolution: Hi! I play a lot of a game called CS:GO. In that game, I use 4:3, which I've set to stretched via the nvidia control panel (I have an nvidia GPU). My desktop resolution is 16:9 1080p. After the 1903 update, every time I exit the game or tab out to another window, my desktop...
  10. Lock desktop icons positions?

Lock desktop icons positions?: I occasionally move the mouse pointer across the desktop and inadvertently drag icons to new positions. Is there a command or a feature that locks the desktop icons in place and can snap them back into position when this occurs? 86732