Windows 10: Desktop icons disappeared when I was changing text scaling

Discus and support Desktop icons disappeared when I was changing text scaling in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; View Desktop Icons is still checked, I'm not in tablet mode, all icons disappeared right when i changed text scaling. Reverting the change did not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by OakMtn, Aug 23, 2020.

1. OakMtn Win User

Desktop icons disappeared when I was changing text scaling

View Desktop Icons is still checked, I'm not in tablet mode, all icons disappeared right when i changed text scaling. Reverting the change did not help.

I also tried restoring the recycling bin but that didn't work. Also dragging a new icon to the desktop does nothing.

:)

OakMtn, Aug 23, 2020
  2. appex213 Win User

Icons disappear after DPI change.

I have a laptop with a 4K display and DPI scaling set to 250% (default), and whenever I change this to any other value and restart to fully apply it all of the icons on the desktop, taskbar, start menu, in folders and basically everywhere disappear (except for some windows icons like Edge browser and Cortana).
    Changing the DPI back to the default 250% and restarting makes the icons appear again but I need to change the DPI in order to use an external display without scaling issues and blurry text.

appex213, Aug 23, 2020
  3. Ryan Pag Win User
    Size of TEXT on the Desktops. NOT size of icons) but size of TEXT TEXT TEXT

Hi,

Please follow below steps to change the size of text:

• In the search bar, look for Display settings, then click it.
    • A pop up will appear showing the Display settings.
    • Click on the scale to change the size of text, apps and other items.
    Keep us informed to help you further.

Thank you.

Ryan Pag, Aug 23, 2020
  4. Desktop icons disappeared when I was changing text scaling

Desktop Icons disappeared

Hi Kinsley,

• Are you referring to the desktop icons?
    • When did the icons disappear? Did you make any changes to the system Settings?

It's possible that your device is in Tablet mode. I suggest you to turn it off and check if the icons appear. To do so, select the
    Action center icon on the taskbar (the little message box next to the date and time), and then select
    Tablet mode to turn it on or off.

Also refer the following thread which discusses about a similar issue.

Windows 10 - Desktop icons disappeared - I may have hit something that is causing my problem

Hope this helps. Keep us updated with the status of the issue to continue assisting you further.

Thank you.

Azaruddin Syed, Aug 23, 2020
Thema:

Desktop icons disappeared when I was changing text scaling

1. Desktop icons disappeared when I was changing text scaling - Similar Threads - Desktop icons disappeared

2. Text scaling seems to break destop icons

in Windows 10 Customization
    Text scaling seems to break destop icons: I was changing the font size in the accessibility options when I noticed the icons on my desktop were more spaced apart than usual, so I changed it a couple of times to check and it seems like the space grows wider every time I change it, regardless of weather I'm increasing...
  3. Text scaling seems to break destop icons

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Text scaling seems to break destop icons: I was changing the font size in the accessibility options when I noticed the icons on my desktop were more spaced apart than usual, so I changed it a couple of times to check and it seems like the space grows wider every time I change it, regardless of weather I'm increasing...
  4. Text scaling seems to break destop icons

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Shortcut for changing text and apps scale

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Shortcut for changing text and apps scale: Hello, I am trying to use my PC in living room from afar and it works great when used with 200% scale on text, icons and apps, but switching between 100% when using at desk and 200% when from couch is a bit cumbersome to go through display settings every time. Is there a way...
  6. How do I change the desktop icon text color?

How do I change the desktop icon text color?: The articles I found online are either ancient or they do not work. The general idea is to change to orange as a solid color, which supposedly changes the text to black, It doesn't. What's the point about personalizing if something that basic is impossible?...
  7. Desktop Icon text changing color and shading

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Desktop Icon text changing color and shading: Hello all! I have a unique question I haven't found an answer to. My 85 year old grandfather has an old Windows 7 computer we recently upgraded to 10. So far he loves it! But... His desktop icon text is normally black with no shadow, but sometimes after he closes programs...
  8. Windows 10 Volume Icon Disappears with Text Custom Scaling

Windows 10 Volume Icon Disappears with Text Custom Scaling: When I set my text custom scaling to 110%, my volume icon is no longer displayed on the taskbar. The volume icon is displayed when I switch from 100% to 125%, but it disappears when I enter the custom size of 110% under the "advanced scaling settings". I did check the...
  9. Icons disappeared after scaling change

Icons disappeared after scaling change: After I changed scaling from 100% to 125%, all icons disappeared whether it be desktop, taskbar, or file explorer. This is not the first time I changed scaling to 125%. This has never happened before when I changed scaling. It seems applications downloaded from Windows Store...
  10. Desktop Icons Disappeared and Taskbar Icons Changed

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop Icons Disappeared and Taskbar Icons Changed: I have a laptop with a 4k 17.3" display. When set to native resolution, 3840x2160, some programs do not display their dialog boxes and menus in usable form. In an attempt to correct this I have tried setting the display resolution to 1920x1080. Then setting the magnification...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 11 desktop icons disappeared scale

2. Desktop icons are gone only text shows