Windows 10: Desktop icons don't work anymore after update of Windows 10

Discus and support Desktop icons don't work anymore after update of Windows 10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I just did the windows 10 update to version 1703. OS build 15063.413 on my wife's PC, now when she clicks on previously working icons/shortcuts, a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Johannes, Jun 25, 2017.

1. Johannes Win User

Desktop icons don't work anymore after update of Windows 10

I just did the windows 10 update to version 1703. OS build 15063.413 on my wife's PC,
    now when she clicks on previously working icons/shortcuts, a window comes up: windows can not find (name of url)
    I do not recall that happen when I did the upgrade on my PC..

I forgot, even when I a make a new shortcut, the same thing happens.

:)

Johannes, Jun 25, 2017
  2. CindyCees Win User

I have problems after installing 10

After installing the free Windows 10 from 8.1 on a HP Pavilion 17, my task bar doesn't work like it did in 8.1 - cannot not access the sound (up or down), my settings don't popup anymore from the desktop, cannot go to the Windows icon key and see my programs
    and information, couldn't find my IE icon anymore (I had to recreate one). Does anyone know how to fix these problems?

CindyCees, Jun 25, 2017
  3. EggPap Win User
    Mouse moves slowly and desktop refreshes every 30 sec.

Hello,

let me give other details:

after a variable long interval of time (half, one hour or more) the mouse starts to move regularly and the desktop don't refresh anymore, but some icons ont the task bar don't open, especially the first icon at left (start icon?) , the Cortana text field
    and the windows update icon in the right corner.

EggPap, Jun 25, 2017
  4. Johannes Win User

I ran the sfc/scan now, and it still did not work. Then I tried to create the new short cut from the urls in Google Chrome and now they work.

Johannes, Jun 25, 2017
Thema:

1. Desktop icons don't work anymore after update of Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Desktop icons don't

2. Jan 10 update , mouse & keyboard don't work anymore.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Jan 10 update , mouse & keyboard don't work anymore.: The update today made my keyboard & mouse not work anymore. All the ports won't recognize the USB. OH wait I don't own a wired keyboard, but I have a wired mouse which also is not being registered. This is a mess...
  3. Jan 10 update , mouse & keyboard don't work anymore.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Jan 10 update , mouse & keyboard don't work anymore.: The update today made my keyboard & mouse not work anymore. All the ports won't recognize the USB. OH wait I don't own a wired keyboard, but I have a wired mouse which also is not being registered. This is a mess...
  4. Icons don't appear on the desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Icons don't appear on the desktop: Dear experts,I've just installed win 11.I went through the File Explorer to the Desktop and I see there the file a.docxHowever when I go to the desktop Windows + D I don't see this file. I only see some shorcuts....
  5. Icons don't appear on the desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Icons don't appear on the desktop: Dear experts,I've just installed win 11.I went through the File Explorer to the Desktop and I see there the file a.docxHowever when I go to the desktop Windows + D I don't see this file. I only see some shorcuts....
  6. Windows 10 does not work anymore after update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 does not work anymore after update: Hello, In June, for no apparent reason, Windows 10 completely stopped working. I tried all the classic tricks to make it start again from the recovery menu, but nothing worked. In August, I just reinstalled Windows 10 entirely. And it worked. Since September 13th I think,...
  7. "Desktop icon settings" does not work anymore

in Windows 10 Support
    "Desktop icon settings" does not work anymore: In Settings > Themes I used to be able to click "Desktop icon settings". But no more. Now I get "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item". I first discovered this on my laptop, which was...
  8. Desktop icons not working after update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Desktop icons not working after update: So, my computer updated while I was sleeping. When I went to get on it, it was messed up. First, an error kept popping up and making my screen go black. The error was system 32 could not find desktop. Second, the update deleted all my files, applications, and even...
  9. cannot view Windows 10 desktop icons anymore

in Windows 10 Customization
    cannot view Windows 10 desktop icons anymore: How can I re-display desktop icons? Did I save to many of them, which might have locked up that feature? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start/cannot-view-windows-10-desktop-icons-anymore/86340d5c-6914-498d-a106-f8abb652cb4d
  10. desktop icons shrunk after windows 10 update.

in Windows 10 Customization
    desktop icons shrunk after windows 10 update.: Hi, I am having problems after recent updates for windows 10. First thing to change was my keyboard became Americanised. this caused confusion especially when I had to type my email address but I managed to sort it out and it is now back to the UK querty keyboard. However all...