Windows 10: Desktop Icons gone haywire

Discus and support Desktop Icons gone haywire in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; When I turned on my Windows 10 laptop the other morning, my desktop icons were spread out in 4 rows, with many of them missing. I have not installed or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by GF1701, Jun 19, 2020.

1. GF1701 Win User

Desktop Icons gone haywire

When I turned on my Windows 10 laptop the other morning, my desktop icons were spread out in 4 rows, with many of them missing. I have not installed or uninstalled anything on this computer for many weeks. I do a complete full shutdown nightly Fast Startup is turned off. The last Windows Update and system restore point was June 10th. There was also a Dell update, but that was several days ago. I ran Malwarebytes and a virus scan boot-time and full; no malware or viruses were found. This is what the desktop now looked like:

Desktop Icons gone haywire 15a10406-4262-44f4-a7d6-96a8f314058e?upload=true.jpg

Previously, I had my icons arranged in three columns on the left and one row on top. A utility I’ve used in the past to save and restore the desktop layout failed to restore it. If I move an icon myself, Windows immediately moved it elsewhere. I checked my View settings to see if somehow Autoarrange had been turned on, but it was not. Align to Grid was turned on, so I turned it off to see if I could then restore my desktop arrangement. My desktop restore program partially restored the first two columns, but bunched icons together and on top of each other:

Desktop Icons gone haywire 99cb3934-07d6-4f46-95ef-e4f5605468f8?upload=true.jpg

When I try to move an icon to another location, it sometimes stays, but other times bounces right back to where it came from. And if I turn Align to Grid back on, the icons again are rearranged into four rows.

I first asked for help on another forum and I was told to erase and rebuild my icon cache. I did that and I don’t know if it helped. I still can’t restore my original desktop, but I’ve been able to rearrange them in a somewhat similar manner. But I can’t get icons as close to the left or bottom edges of the screen as before. When I try to, Windows rockets it to some random it seems location in the middle of the desktop. And clearly, Windows is not handling the icons the way it should. When I set the view to Align to Grid, or to Auto Arrange, Windows is spreading my icons out in rows across the screen, as in my original screenshot. This is not what is supposed to happen. Auto Arrange is supposed to align the icons in columns, beginning on the left edge of the desktop I found a YouTube demo that verified this. I’m also pretty sure that Align Icons to Grid should align the icons in the columns that I’ve already created, not spread them across the screen in an entirely different row arrangement. My web searches have not turned up any evidence of a known issue like this in Windows 10. Do I have to just chalk this up to another inexplicable Windows anomaly, or is there some way to repair this?

:)

GF1701, Jun 19, 2020

2. Remove Linux Desktop Icons

I am not sure whether this will work (Ubuntu does not have icons like that on the desktop by default), but I suggest opening the trash bin and sweeping the icons into the window showing the trash bin.

Peter1986C, Jun 19, 2020
  3. Desktop Icons Won't Stay Put

Hi Laurie,

As per the issue description I understand that you are facing issues with desktop icons.

I suggest you try the following step in order to arrange the icons.

• Right click on the desktop.
    • Click on view
    • Check the option auto arrange icons.
    Let us know if this helps.

Thanks.

Divya Murugan, Jun 19, 2020
  4. Desktop Icons gone haywire

Desktop Icons

Hello Glenda,

Share this information to assist you better.

• Is the issue particular to the Comcast?
    • Have you installed all the pending updates?
    • Did you try changing icons of other shortcuts?
    Follow the steps and check if it helps:

Step 1: Press Windows+I to open Settings panel, and click
    Personalization to access Personalization settings.

Step 2: Tap Change desktop icons on the top left in the Personalization window.

Step 3: In the Desktop Icon Settings window, select the icon of
    This PC and click Change Icon.

Step 4: Choose a new icon from the list, and tap OK.

Step 5: Click OK to confirm the change.

Let us know the status of the issue.

Rakesh Narayanaswamy, Jun 19, 2020
Thema:

Desktop Icons gone haywire

1. Desktop Icons gone haywire - Similar Threads - Desktop Icons gone

2. Log On Gone Haywire

in Windows 10 Customization
    Log On Gone Haywire: [I'm using my newer pc for this question] My Desktop has reverted to the basic blue background, and I cannot get "Personalization" to work. I can still get to the Internet, but the Repair facilities [sfc, Health, etc. on Command Prompt] don't work. Would downloading a new...
  3. Most of desktop icons gone.

Most of desktop icons gone.: I signed off normally yesterday. When I signed up most of icons on my desktop were gone. I thought something bad happened but when I went into desktop folder in OneDrive everything was there but it didn't appear on my desktop....
  4. Windows Gone Haywire

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Gone Haywire: Everything was fine - suddenly gmail went dutch, yahoo is swedish. Many of my log ins have vanished and facebook does not know me. I can not get in here but can sign in via my vivaldi start page? All settings in pc are for United Kingdom. 180828
  5. Windows 10 Update has Gone Haywire!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Update has Gone Haywire!: *On 11/18/2019 my computer began to update. Now the screen is showing opaque images and flashing from light to dark. It appears that it is not updating properly. As I type, it is difficult to write this message....
  6. Folders/icons on desktop gone

in Windows 10 Support
    Folders/icons on desktop gone: I am on 1903 I will explain this as it played out I had battlenet on my computer but it was a blank icon..tried uninstalling it but it wouldn't let me. I could not get it to uninstall. Not sure why it was blank..i never uninstalled it before. I downloaded a fresh copy of...
  7. GTX 1050 - Display Gone Haywire

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    GTX 1050 - Display Gone Haywire: Hi .. recently my display went cuckoo, decided to re-install a fresh clean Windows since it's been a while. After installation is completed, before update can take place, I installed the Nvidia drivers for my GTX 1050. Download the driver from Nvidia's site - 419.17 -...
  8. My desktop has gone haywire!!!!!!!

My desktop has gone haywire!!!!!!!: I just finally updated to Windows 10 Insider Preview 17758.1 (rs5_release), but now, half of my taskbar pinned icons are missing, plus everything on my desktop is labeled with a white piece of paper, except for recycle bin. Anybody please help me? It's an Acer Aspire...
  9. Desktop Icons all gone?

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop Icons all gone?: I have the latest update of Win 10... Booted computer this morning and all of my desktop icons are gone. Could anyone help me find them? *Smile The desktop now defaults to a Win10 desktop but when I go to "desktop" there is nothing there. All help appreciated. wayne 53950
  10. Help!! Windows 10 gone haywire!!

in Windows 10 Support
    Help!! Windows 10 gone haywire!!: Windows 10 for the past few days has been completely unusable. I can't install any new software. It always returns the error : "Installer integrity check has failed" or "some installation files are corrupt". That's not all. I have serious problem downloading at all. It will...