Windows 10: Desktop Icons have been moving around after reboot.

Discus and support Desktop Icons have been moving around after reboot. in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I usually play games with my friends for example cs:go and I use 1280x1024 in game but normally I use 1920x1080 and one day after I shutdown my game I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by AleksiKattelus, Feb 27, 2022.

1. Desktop Icons have been moving around after reboot.

I usually play games with my friends for example cs:go and I use 1280x1024 in game but normally I use 1920x1080 and one day after I shutdown my game I saw that all of my desktop icons have moved to places they shouldn't be in. I have tried to delete iconcache and it doesn't seem to work, I have unchecked the themes cant move icons and i can't seem to fix this problem.

:)

AleksiKattelus, Feb 27, 2022

2. Desktop icons moving after reboot

A user has two monitors, one 1920 res (primary) and the other 1280x1040 (secondary).

He moves all his icons to where he wants on the desktop and then after a reboot they all move back to the way they were.

I have made sure Windows 10 is full up to date and on the latest feature set.

All drivers are up to date.

I have gone through every step I can find on general help guides -

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/desktop-icons-rearrange-move-after-reboot

as well as everything in this troubleshooting thread -

Windows 10 - Desktop icons moving to secondary monitor

NOTHING has worked.

What else can I do?

adrian...87, Feb 27, 2022
  3. qubit Win User
    Desktop Icon Keeps On Moving

That's because your resolution is changing each time. To test, try setting to 1024x768, arrange a couple of icons and then restart the PC. As long as the resolution after startup is still 1024x768, then the icons won't move. Trust me. *Wink Desktop Icons have been moving around after reboot. ;)

qubit, Feb 27, 2022
  4. geogat Win User

Desktop Icons have been moving around after reboot.

desktop icons keep moving around

Out of shear frustration after trying other suggestions, I tried Desktop OK. Every time I use it, it moves the Norton icon to a different location. I've even deleted the tiny "saved" file that is supposed to have my icons in all the right places. Nope. Same thing. On two computers, I happen to have a "Settings" icon and that one and the Norton one both move every time the computer locks or is rebooted. On a third, no Settings icons so it's just the Norton icon that moves. Granted, I've only tried Desktop OK on one device. I've also tried the "rebuild icon file" suggestion shown in several places. No joy. AACK.

geogat, Feb 27, 2022
Thema:

Desktop Icons have been moving around after reboot.

1. Desktop Icons have been moving around after reboot. - Similar Threads - Desktop Icons been

2. Desktop Icons have been moving around after reboot.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop Icons have been moving around after reboot.: I usually play games with my friends for example cs:go and I use 1280x1024 in game but normally I use 1920x1080 and one day after I shutdown my game I saw that all of my desktop icons have moved to places they shouldn't be in. I have tried to delete iconcache and it doesn't...
  3. Desktop Icons have been moving around after reboot.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop Icons have been moving around after reboot.: I usually play games with my friends for example cs:go and I use 1280x1024 in game but normally I use 1920x1080 and one day after I shutdown my game I saw that all of my desktop icons have moved to places they shouldn't be in. I have tried to delete iconcache and it doesn't...
  4. windows 10 desktop icons moving around sneakily

windows 10 desktop icons moving around sneakily: my father has this problem on Windows 10 PC. He has maybe 50 shortcuts and excel files on the desktop. Auto arrange icons is off. Align to grid is on.He has rows of icons so for example in the lower part of the screen there is several rows of excel files. He creates another...
  5. Desktop Icons Unwantedly Moving Around

Desktop Icons Unwantedly Moving Around: I have an issue that has been upsetting me for a while. Whenever the computer boots, awakes or I plug in my second monitor my desktop icons move around. I organise them again and select refresh to save them apparently and then again whenever the computer boots, awakes or I...
  6. Desktop icons moving after reboot

Desktop icons moving after reboot: A user has two monitors, one 1920 res primary and the other 1280x1040 secondary. He moves all his icons to where he wants on the desktop and then after a reboot they all move back to the way they were. I have made sure Windows 10 is full up to date and on the latest...
  7. Desktop items moving after reboot

Desktop items moving after reboot: A user has two monitors, one 1920 res primary and the other 1280x1040 secondary. He moves all his icons to where he wants on the desktop and then after a reboot they all move back to the way they were. I have made sure Windows 10 is full up to date and on the latest...
  8. desktop icons keep moving around

in Windows 10 Support
    desktop icons keep moving around: Two Icons on my desktop refuse to stay where I want them when I reboot : "This Pc" and "Norton 360". What can I do to keep them in place? I think this a relatively new phenomenon. Windows 10 version 10.0.19041 Build 19041. 165539
  9. Desktop Windows Move Around

Desktop Windows Move Around: My open desktop windows move around. I drag them to the center and then later they have moved to the left side. I don't want them to move around. My windows have always stayed where I put them in the past. I have tried to search out solutions to this issue but I only...
  10. Icons on desktop keep moving around

in Windows 10 Support
    Icons on desktop keep moving around: Have tried researching this annoying problem and found several long threads from 2015 with various confusing answers involving several registry changes. Has this common problem been definitively solved yet and if so can someone please post the solution here 55644